Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Have you found "your style?"

(111 Posts)
oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 09:37:41

I have been wearing hush sort of light weight, trousers and more or less any tops and some nice sandals for months. Also, a couple of maxi skirts. I think this has been reasonably successful. Now the season is changing..... what to wear? Picture a vertically challenged, size 14 ish person who feels the cold. Thanks folks. smile

Bridgeit Tue 28-Aug-18 09:57:52

Thick warm leggings (not grey) nice calf length 2 tone boots & a bright end of bottom length top.
And a lovely big smile, seasonal best wishes to you?

oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 10:18:05

I like this especially the bright bottom. Horrible teeth, so not much smiling. Contemplating spending thousands on fixing.

Bridgeit Tue 28-Aug-18 10:29:00

It’s a lot to spend but if you can it will make you feel great, best wishes

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-18 11:17:23

Well, at this moment I am wearing light tan (I daren't say 'beige') cropped cargo pants and a royal blue t-shirt because most of my other seasonal gear is in the washing machine! I also have purple Skechers Go-Walks on my feet - for comfort.
For me comfort and appropriateness for the season are most important and if the result manages to look stylish, so be it!

Fennel Tue 28-Aug-18 11:49:43

I'm wearing Skechers go-walk too. I can't wear anything else on my feet now. I have 4 pairs.
Oldbatty - I also like maxi skirts. I'm wearing a dark brown one now, light material. And brown cotton polo neck.
I'm thinking of making some maxi skirts in a warm material for winter. Good for covering my skinny legs, I can't wear tights.

Greyduster Tue 28-Aug-18 12:03:41

I think “Greyduster” and “style” are a contradiction in terms never to be confused with each other! I have come to the conclusion that skirts are a no-no for me. I took two on holiday - one a new one I bought more in hope than expectation - and couldn’t bring myself to wear them. In the autumn and winter I live in skinny jeans, fleeces and lambswool crew neck sweaters in bright colours.

HildaW Tue 28-Aug-18 12:09:38

Not so much found my style....as stopped worrying about what I look like so much. I buy more for quality and comfort now and tend to stick to shades of blue and grey. My only mad impulses now is colourful chunky jewellery.

I used to prefer long skirts when 'younger' as I've not got the best legs but I caught sight of myself in a shop window and realised a longer skirt really looked very 'dowager duchess' on me and as I'm a bit more devil may care about the chunky legs I realised I was happier having them encased in thick tights and with a slightly shorter skirt. Mind you skirts are reserved for dress up day.....few and far between.

Teetime Tue 28-Aug-18 12:49:57

oldbatty you sound the same size and shape as me and I'm a cold body too. In the Autumn winter I wear either Black Jeans with now sweater and a nice shirt underneath - keeps me warmer or a colourful skit, thick tights and sweater over a tee shirt thingy and boots or shoes. I get nearly all my stuff now from White Stuff and Boden . I am a cliché.

oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 13:07:43

Teetime, you are not a cliche!! Jeans are just too depressing to contemplate
I can't wrestle myself into them. I quite like next harem pants, but they can look like a giant sagging nappy sometimes.

DoraMarr Tue 28-Aug-18 13:21:28

This is an awkward time of year, isn’t it? Too early for black tights and leggings, too cool for cotton dresses. I wear dresses most of the time, mostly from Toast or Whistles, and I have some trans-seasonal ones in a slightly thicker cotton with long sleeves. They are all quite long, so I wear them with a nice warm vest underneath and bare legs, trainers, or ballerinas. I have a few pairs of jeans and some nice linen/twill trousers to go with warmer cotton tops. I bought a ridiculously expensive wool/linen mix top in Burford at the weekend. It’s very nice, though.

Blinko Tue 28-Aug-18 13:27:13

In the depths Winter, I find that leggings with maxi skirts are sooo cosy. Also covers a multitude of lumps and bumps.

Right now, it's jeans, t shirt and long line cardi. Fancy scarves come out in the Autumn.

Kateykrunch Tue 28-Aug-18 13:53:24

In answer to your question...”have you found your style”.....yes, dragged through a hedge!!

Brunette10 Tue 28-Aug-18 14:48:59

I've been looking for 'my style' all my life! I look at people around me, on TV and always admire their dress sense and think 'why can't I look like that'. My problem is that at not quite 5ft and quite slim is getting clothes to fit, be reasonably tidy and fashionable all at the same time. It's a pain I can assure you. Like to look good all the time if I can, in the house its a t-shirt and joggers but out I always make an effort. M & S seem to be my only option as their clothes/fashion comes near to my size and style. How I so wish I could walk into a nice boutique shop, try clothes that fit and look good and not cost a fortune but it's just not possible. Any suggestions would be welcome.

MargaretX Tue 28-Aug-18 15:17:36

I can't describe my style but I know it when its hanging on a rail in a shop. It has not basically changed since I was a teenager. I wear simple things not so feminine or pretty but basic colours and good jewellery and real leather handbags.

oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 15:29:22

Brunette how about a visit to a personal shopper?

MissAdventure Tue 28-Aug-18 15:45:41

I don't think I've ever found my style..
I'm not sure what it is, really.

Brunette10 Tue 28-Aug-18 16:49:25

Tried Personal Shopper OldBatty and while she came up with different ideas than me it's the fitting it's the real problem I suppose .I just can't get 'off the rail' if you know what I mean.

M0nica Tue 28-Aug-18 18:35:17

Where whatever takes your fancy and if you need extra warmth wear a long-sleeved thermal vest underneath your clothes.

tanith Tue 28-Aug-18 18:42:07

I just wear what I like not sure I have a style. Today I’m in jean shorts with an aqua t-shirt and flip flops but I’ve been gardening this afternoon.

Luckylegs9 Tue 28-Aug-18 21:35:56

Slim jeans or trousers, boots, sweaters or pencil skirts or shift dresses, smart casual sums it up. I love clothes.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 22:33:19

I've never found mine either MissA

I just know I don't like fussy clothes that 'wear' me.
I have to feel comfortable.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Aug-18 23:43:43

I'm exactly the same.
I only seem to wear flat shoes or boots, and I'm partial to a nice jumper.
I don't like clothes too tight, so I end up looking like a bag lady, so I've been told. smile

oldbatty Wed 29-Aug-18 07:25:03

If you have some height and are slim, jeans and slim leg trousers look fine. Not so great on short fatties.

Panache Wed 29-Aug-18 09:39:24

Latter years I have found a style that makes me both happy and comfortable..........summer time colourful slim leg jeans,navy,denim,green,white.... with tops or loose blouses/tunic tops to correspond.....
No skirts other than maxis and maxi dresses too.
Sketchers have fitted in on most occasions with a cross body bag.
If required...Ankle length waistcoat style cardigans.

I have a new sand short waisted jacket/slim legged trousers to start the transition and the Sketchers will be supplemented by tan suede,camel or black leather ankle length boots......plus cross over bags.

Trousers... shades of russet,greys with mustard, grey or navy ..................no beige as such and NO black.
Sweaters/tunics....mustard,russet,denim blue & multi shades
Jackets are nipped in at the waist......navy, a yellow....coats......grey/cream check poncho style.........Deep blue again poncho style
An olive three quarter mac........an ultra warm coat in gold.

Some nice jewellery and a whole multitude of pretty scarves add or compliment each outfit.

Whilst always looking out for that just right addition!!!