Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tights

(62 Posts)
susiecb Tue 18-Oct-11 08:56:28

Can anyone recommend some nice black opaque tights plse? Like all things M & S their tights seem to have reduced in quality and I do hate shiny tights - if you have fat legs like me it makes them look worse.sad

glammanana Tue 18-Oct-11 09:24:24

susiecb have you tried Tu at Sainsbury's I had some last year and they where very good,did not go baggy and the waist was a good fit. good luck

Annobel Tue 18-Oct-11 10:21:50

I got fed up with tights because the crotch seemed always to end up somewhere between my knees. I buy hold-ups nowadays and have no trouble keeping them up. M&S have nice black velvety opaque ones.

Ariadne Tue 18-Oct-11 10:57:25

Hardly ever wear them - mainly because I'm always in trousers. My legs are best hidden!

goldengirl Tue 18-Oct-11 15:20:50

Both Asda and Tesco opaques I find really good - and they fit! And a reasonable price as well.

susiecb Tue 18-Oct-11 15:35:31

Oooo hold ups I wish I have such fat thighs they are like tourniquets. are Falke and Wolford worth the extra money - its is worth paying a bit more do you think. I dont wear tights ervyday but I do like to pop a skirt or dress on once or twice a week if we are going out.

Acheron Tue 18-Oct-11 17:52:29

I find M&S woolly ones are lovely.

GoldenGran Tue 18-Oct-11 18:18:54

John Lewis are good. Can't do hold ups,they don't stay up and they stop the circulation in my little fat legs.

crimson Tue 18-Oct-11 18:41:16

I've got ginormous legs, even though I'm quite tiny, so tights are a problem..have to get extra large and they go up to my neck. They fit better with a gusset [there I go again, using my favourite word.....]. Opaque tights I find to be, well, 'tight'. My legs never see the light of day, anyway, but I like to wear them when I'm wearing boots.

Jeany Wed 19-Oct-11 09:28:44

I have a job getting into tights these days. I'm not very bendy but it's due to polymyalgia rheumatica rather than old age.

bagitha Wed 19-Oct-11 09:45:30

If you wear boots with a skirt, you can wear leggings and socks. I prefer that anyway as I find tights too, well, tight on my toes.

susiecb Wed 19-Oct-11 09:52:28

Jeany I sympathise my daughter has polymyalgia I have Lupus which is affecting my joints and tendons etc and my mother had reheumatoid arthritis - we all have(had in mothers case) trouble putting tights on. I find them hard to get hold of in the first place as my hands are affected so end up rolling around on the bed or bathroom floor - a site to behold.smile I dont want to give up wearing dresses and nice shoes though so I still have a go a couple of times a week.

I have just found MyTights on the web and they have Mary Portas/Charnos tights so will proably give those a go they have some nice colours too.

Annobel Wed 19-Oct-11 10:15:52

jeany - sympathy. I. too, have polymyalgia and, despite the steroids, there are still times when I'm very stiff and consequently grumpy. It's easier just to pull on trousers and socks, isn't it?

gracesmum Wed 19-Oct-11 11:01:27

I have some lovely velvety-soft ones from M&S a couple of years ago (and they have lasted!) To keep tights up though I find if I go for the tummy control sort, they don't get dragged south as the day goes on!
Popsocks are useful with trousers - an abomination with skirts - but even they can tend to the Nora Batty look.

gma Wed 19-Oct-11 20:24:20

I HATE tights and only wear them if it is absolutely necessary!!!!!!! But, my godmother is 85 and a bit of a larger lady!!! and as I do most of her shopping I know that the ones that she likes are GYPSY tights. Lots of different thicknesses and colours and available from www.uktights.com or high street shops-Jarrolds in Norwich has them I know!!

yogagran Wed 19-Oct-11 22:15:51

I hesitate to say that I've gone back to stockings and suspenders. I hate tights - they always seem to make you feel like a penguin with the crutch halfway down your thighs and if you get a hole in them you have to throw the whole thing away. Stockings are the answer, much better for the hot flushes too and easier to put on if you're not very bendy. Won't say what DH says though blush

Grossi Thu 20-Oct-11 09:35:08

Like Ariadne and gma, I hardly ever wear tights, as I prefer trousers, and I would agree with bagitha that leggings and socks is a better (and warmer) option if you can get away with boots.

But I do have some tights from Wolford www.wolfordshop.co.uk/. They have tights to suit all tastes, apparently including those of the Duchess of Cambridge grin.

susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 09:39:08

How lovely to hobnob with the Duchess. I have one pair of wolfords that I have been saving for a special occasion. Bought them three years agogrin

Gally Sun 23-Oct-11 13:26:13

I loathe tights too. I only wear them about 3x a year when jeans are not appropriate attire. Why do they always roll over at the waist? I get the wretched things on - fitting comfortably at the crotch, the foot in the correct place, the waist round the waist and then the moment I move the waist rolls over. I've tried those so-called 'hold-ups' with a sticky/rubbery thing around the top, but they roll down over the knees and start flapping! angry

dorsetpennt Mon 24-Oct-11 12:03:55

I loathe tights and only wear then on the rare occasion that I wear a dress ie:weddings. Both John Lewis and M and S tights seems to suit me. Its a case of trial and error I guess. I've been told that the hold-up tights, if worn too often, aren't very good for the circulation in your legs. Like several other Gransnetters tights are awful getting them on as none of us are as bendy as we used to be.

silverfoxygran Mon 24-Oct-11 13:07:33

I hate them too - I have skinny legs but a fat body so if they fit round the waist they wrinkle at the ankle - very Nora Batty although my husband prefers to refer to me as an egg on legs! Awful truth is he isn't wrong!

numberplease Mon 24-Oct-11 17:48:37

I only wear them on extra special occasions, as I have trouble putting them on these days, but I find Asda`s own make to be a pretty good fit. Other shops I`ve tried, including M & S, never seen to fit right. I`m on the large side, but short, and the size for my size are nearly always far too long, and they wrinkle.

Snowdrop Sat 12-Nov-11 08:41:42

Wolford definitely for special occasions!

Mishap Sat 12-Nov-11 10:11:46

Tights - the work of the devil!
What dreadful things they truly are!
Uncomfortable round the waist, inclined to droop like a penguin, sweaty in the vital regions!
I cannot remember when I last wore a pair - I only wear skirts during weather that allows naked legs.
I would say they had been designed by someone who would never have to wear them - i.e. a man - but my experience of men is that they would prefer us to go back to stockings and suspenders!!!

bagitha Sat 12-Nov-11 10:40:03

With you there, mishap. I can't remember when I last wore tights — probably about sixteen years ago. Since then I've eliminated them from my life. The couple of pairs that I still had have been used to tie up climbing roses. They do well at that.