Gransnet forums

Sport

Keeping items of loved ones.

(39 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sat 05-Feb-22 19:43:08

I decided that this was the best title for this thread, i will explain.

My mum went home 5 years ago ( on 27th February xx)

We moved into her house ( my childhood home). I kept items, i threw items, I gave my son items, i gave my daughter items, but there is 1 particular item that i keep on a shelf, under the stairs, untouched for 5 years, its just THERE..... its my mums handbag, never left her side, despite the fact it didnt contain very much ( bit like the Queens i guess !!!! )

I dont know how to express myself here and the reason for my mums bag sitting on shelf, but i will just rattle it out and hope it makes sense.

So, literally everything has been shifted, sorted, kept, thrown (some things done too hasty), but her handbag is like the last thing ( well apart from ½ ashes, but thats another story) that i own of my mums, its like if i get rid of that, then everything is gone I havent touched it nor looked inside it for 5 years.

I suppose in some way, its like holding on to her, even though its a handbag ! It was my mums handbag, she chose it.

So, my question to everyone is, can anyone else associate this in their lives? Orrrr is it just me?

Regarding her ashes, well, ½ i took to Canada to my son ( with allllll the paperwork for airport security) and i have the rest, i dont want to part with those either, but i know i must.

sad

Oldwoman70 Sun 06-Feb-22 10:34:35

I still have my late DHs shaving brush and razor and one of his jumpers, which I occasionally put on and imagine he is hugging me again. Nothing wrong in keeping things that remind of us loved ones and bring comfort.

glammanana Sun 06-Feb-22 10:38:09

I have my late husbands scarf and cap hanging in the wardrobe along with his trusty wax jacket which he wore every day whilst walking the dog,I gave most of his other clothing to the mission for homeless men a charity which was close to his heart.All his personal papers from his birth certificate to his first driving licence are in a box he made when at school they will go to my DD when I am no longer here.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 06-Feb-22 10:41:10

I’m exactly the same Serendipity. Mum’s bag and she died 20 years ago and Gran’s, which she had kept and Gran died in 1966. I can’t bear to part with such personal things but must one day, in my attempt to leave as little as possible for my son to clear out.

labazsisslowlygoingmad Sun 06-Feb-22 10:51:18

even though it is getting on 20 years I kept my mums handbag complete with contents as of the last time she used it; makeup bag with makeup; cheque book and purse; a coupon pouch I bought one each for her and me from the TV Times; tissues clean of course and clip-on sunglasses.
we also bought her a tracksuit for her birthday as she liked to wear it for leisure around the house. she bravely tried it on but soon had to be put back to bed. Even though it was only
for a few minutes I kept it. Did think of using it for someone to make a memory bear but have not yet.

JaneJudge Sun 06-Feb-22 10:58:01

There are some lovely posts on this thread smile although it is sad

I think you should keep the ashes and her handbag and no, it isn't just you. I had a very early, close loss and I get very attached to 'things' with meaning too.

I know this is a little off subject but I'm sure I've read there is evidence to suggest a lot of hoarders have had issues with early loss or displacement, so although it is the extreme end, it can't be unusual at all.

Dee1012 Sun 06-Feb-22 11:35:10

I absolutely adored my Dad and his loss absolutely devastated me...although very loving , he was unsentimental.
Sorting things out after his death, I opened the drawer in his bedside cabinet and found a small box containing a lock of my baby hair, my first little knife and fork set together with other small items from my childhood.
It's now in my bedside cabinet and a reminder of how lucky I was to have had him as not only my father but a wonderful friend.

MeowWow Sun 06-Feb-22 11:47:08

I’ve still got the last letter mom wrote to me. It’s now 36 years she’s been gone.

Ning74 Sun 06-Feb-22 11:58:38

Serendipity 22
I completely understand. I wasn’t able to begin to part with my mum’s clothes until two years after she died, aged 90.
When I eventually took the good quality items to a charity shop some distance from where I lived, I felt some comfort that the charity was the Dogs Trust. My mum adored dogs from being a teenager and had spent a large part of her life adopting and caring for rescue dogs with her second husband my stepfather. I have kept my mum’s umbrella which is patterned ‘raining cats and dogs’. The only thing is when I use it myself I am anxious about leaving it somewhere absentmindedly. However I still have and use it 9 years later

Casdon Sun 06-Feb-22 11:59:48

I’m not really attached to possessions apart from paintings and photographs, but I have lots of plants in my garden which either came from family members as cuttings, or were bought because they remind me of that person. I like the idea of them living on through plants which are flourishing, and I imagine them looking at them, and remember them. My children will carry on I hope.

Serendipity22 Sun 06-Feb-22 18:21:57

Thank you for all posts. I see that i am not alone in my thinking, need or whatever it is called.
Thank you x

Yes, these things bring great comfort and the fact that i am back living in my childhood home brings a comfort and pure security that wraps itself around me like a lovely warm, secure blanket.

Im glad i started this thread, your posts are lovely and i thank you for posting.

flowers

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 06-Feb-22 18:26:29

I’m glad you did too.

sukie Sun 06-Feb-22 19:33:22

It's not just you Serendipity22. My mother went home three weeks ago today. While clearing her room at the care home, I came across her handbag and wept while holding onto it. It was just as she'd left it when she'd used it a week earlier to visit the gp. It's comforting to see it sitting in my closet right now where I expect it will remain for years to come.

Serendipity22 Sun 06-Feb-22 19:44:17

Aww sukie. 3 weeks ago. I am sorry .... x

Yes, cherish it.