Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Do you remember wayback when.........

(213 Posts)
toscalily Fri 12-Aug-22 14:32:47

and I mean years ago, Gransnet was newer, brighter, more tolerant, less dictatorial, more interesting, and mixed in with the serious conversations there were generally some lighthearted, funnier threads.... reading today it seems to have lost something?

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-22 18:59:03

I joined about 10 years ago and left for a year because I was so taken aback by nasty comments aimed at me so no I don’t see it through rose coloured glasses AT ALL
I then grew a thicker overcoat and crept back in It was just as cliquey then as it gets accused of now
??

Chewbacca Fri 12-Aug-22 19:11:56

I've been here for a long time and think that GN not much different now to when I first joined. There are still feisty exchanges of opinions on the news and politics threads, still a lot of games threads for those who want them and everything in between. There seems to be more posters now and I think a few of them go between Mumsnet and Granset so maybe a wider age range possibly.

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Aug-22 19:13:56

There is a thread like this every few months. A few people always try and blame the news and politics threads for any nastiness, and they are always wrong.

TerriBull Fri 12-Aug-22 19:21:19

I joined a couple of weeks after it was set up, yes I agree with others there was always a certain amount of sword crossing, I think that's kind of inevitable really.

toscalily Fri 12-Aug-22 19:25:54

My question was prompted as I said after reading GN's today. I agree Ilovecheese the nastiness is certainly not confined to the news & politics where there are certainly some robust conversations, which, really is how it should be given the subject matter. Elizabeth27 is I think right in that we do tend to get more curmudgeonly as we get older but does not always excuse the unpleasantness.

DanniRae Sat 13-Aug-22 11:33:42

I have been on here since 2015 (I think) and I still love it!!
Yes it has changed but so has the world - I'm on here every day and if I get a smile from something I have posted or a "I agree with DanniRae" it makes my day!!!

Chewbacca Sat 13-Aug-22 11:39:19

I agree with DanniRae! smile

JackyB Sat 13-Aug-22 11:50:10

So do I.

I remember when we had a different font, but I'm not sure how long ago that was or how long I had been posting at that time.

I just remember that I would have preferred them to introduce a couple of other features rather than fiddle about with the font and other superficial bits of the site.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Aug-22 12:49:29

I've been on since the beginning and I think that some of the News and Politics threads have been a bit nastier since 2014. Some of the remarks made by someone who has left (or changed his user name or is just lurking?) about the Scots during the independence referendum were breathtakingly awful and wouldn't have been tolerated if he had said them about other races or religions.

In any case, there are a lot more posters than there were in 2011, and so it is bound to be busier. So many new (and old) virtual friends are providing amusing, entertaining, educational and thought-provoking posts, and I missed them when I withdrew for a bit in 2021. (Nobody noticed sad)

I agree with DanniRae.

Galaxy Sat 13-Aug-22 13:18:47

I agree with DanniRae.
Is this your best day ever DanniRaesmile

DanniRae Sat 13-Aug-22 13:48:03

Thank you to all those who agree with me! Definitely my BEST DAY EVER!!! smile

Floradora9 Sat 13-Aug-22 20:58:31

There are far too many stupid games they take up so much room. I know you can scroll past them but why do people keep starting new ones ? what proportion of the people reaing the feeds use them ?

Chewbacca Sat 13-Aug-22 21:03:08

what proportion of the people reaing the feeds use them ?

Obviously quite a lot! You can always hide threads that you don't want to see.

Zoejory Sat 13-Aug-22 21:07:12

I also agree with Dannirae

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 21:10:28

Me too.
I'm glad I wasn't here way back when.

merlotgran Sat 13-Aug-22 21:29:02

One thing that wasn’t necessary in the early days of Gransnet was to state in the OP whether or not a thread was intended to be light hearted. There is also more reporting, preaching and general bossiness now.

I’m probably going against the grain but I felt more at home in those days.

kittylester Sat 13-Aug-22 21:46:24

I,'m with you merlot. One didn't need to tresd carefully on any thread. Xx

Vintagejazz Wed 31-Aug-22 08:13:23

There's probably more reporting because There's more hurtful or abusive posting.

joannapiano Wed 31-Aug-22 08:29:34

I’ve also been here since the beginning and I also get a bit tired of all the Games threads now.
I would also not post on the Politics thread because of all the really aggressive tone.

Greyduster Wed 31-Aug-22 08:33:47

I’ve been on here a long time too and back in the day GN had more than its fair share of maulers and brawlers, but it was certainly a lot more fun. It is certainly more heavily policed by GNHQ now.

annsixty Wed 31-Aug-22 08:58:05

I still miss Frank.
I wonder if he is still collecting his London pension.

MawtheMerrier Wed 31-Aug-22 09:00:53

annsixty

I still miss Frank.
I wonder if he is still collecting his London pension.

And his little dog Andy!

Libman Wed 31-Aug-22 09:03:37

I agree with DanniRae?

MawtheMerrier Wed 31-Aug-22 09:10:30

I wonder if there are as many meet ups as a few years ago?
I remember meeting Galen , Hellogirl , and many others some no longer with us at a Midlands meet up in Birmingham about 8 or so years ago, and Kittylester, Specki4eyes and Crimson at East Midlands Airport and a large lovely chatty group (you know who you are)at Zizzi in Market Harborough.
Are people too busy? Did the pandemic put us off picking up again or (as I felt not so long ago) did anybody else hesitate because they were unsure about the reception they might get?
Bottom line- are we as friendly?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 31-Aug-22 09:18:32

Maw there are a few of us that meet up regularly in S E Essex, and I have what would have been described in my youth as a pen friend we would love to meet up but we are opposite ends of the U.K.