Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Do you remember wayback when.........

(212 Posts)
toscalily Fri 12-Aug-22 14:32:47

and I mean years ago, Gransnet was newer, brighter, more tolerant, less dictatorial, more interesting, and mixed in with the serious conversations there were generally some lighthearted, funnier threads.... reading today it seems to have lost something?

Shirley48 Fri 12-Aug-22 14:35:21

You are wearing a hard hat I assume?!

toscalily Fri 12-Aug-22 14:36:20

Of course grin

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Aug-22 14:42:22

I have only been posting for four years, I lurked beforehand.

I definitely notice a change and it’s not for the best (ducks behind the sofa)

Galaxy Fri 12-Aug-22 14:43:53

Oh God. No it probably wasnt. It might have been different that's all. Just as the sun didnt always shine in childhood, etc.

Joseanne Fri 12-Aug-22 14:45:05

I would have liked to have been around then, though there are still some occasional (to me anyway) fun threads.

sodapop Fri 12-Aug-22 14:54:18

Too many people wanting to run things now toscalily I know life is difficult at present but it seems that anyone wanting to be a bit light hearted gets stamped on
and others are offended. Sad really.

Blossoming Fri 12-Aug-22 14:56:02

No, I wasn’t posting “way back when”.

Baggs Fri 12-Aug-22 14:57:33

I don't think it has changed except to get busier.

aggie Fri 12-Aug-22 15:01:42

I’m with Baggs

Galaxy Fri 12-Aug-22 15:03:30

Is it busier baggs? I havent been here forever, and I use MN so GN seemed quieter to me, that's interesting.

AGAA4 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:04:50

I have only been posing for about 3 years. We have been through some tough times in the last few years and things seem to be getting worse and this is bound to be reflected in what we post.
There is still fun to be had on some threads but the more serious ones can get overheated at times and become hostile to some points of view.

Parsley3 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:11:18

I don't think it has changed much either. The same topics appear on a regular basis and posters come and go. The good old days of gransnet is a myth, imo.

Baggs Fri 12-Aug-22 15:17:45

Galaxy

Is it busier baggs? I havent been here forever, and I use MN so GN seemed quieter to me, that's interesting.

I think GN is quieter than MN and always has been. But it seems much busier to me than it did 'way back when'.

Galaxy Fri 12-Aug-22 15:31:10

I think it being quieter is both a blessing and a cursegrin.

ginny Fri 12-Aug-22 15:39:42

Can’t remember how long I’ve been here but it is a while.
I don’t think it has changed that much. Posters come and go for various reasons. Some are stroppy or very opinionated and stuck in their ways. Some drum in about the same old soap box topics.
Most are kind, informed and willing to see other points of view.
Subject matter is according to what is going on in the word.
There is still a mix of serious an light hearted threads.
Take what you like and ignore the rest.

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Aug-22 15:48:34

I don't think it has changed, there are just more posters.
I don't know what you mean about the lighthearted threads though, have they changed, I don't really join in with those, though I have nothing against them.
I just choose the ones I want, doesn't everyone?

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Aug-22 15:49:53

I just had a glance at the thread about comics and it looked fine to me.

Elizabeth27 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:59:56

Maybe as people get older they become more curmudgeonly.

sodapop Fri 12-Aug-22 16:32:00

Bit concerned about your 'posing' AGAA4 is there a life class on GN that I missed grin

AGAA4 Fri 12-Aug-22 16:34:58

sodapop

Bit concerned about your 'posing' AGAA4 is there a life class on GN that I missed grin

? bit of a slip up. Now everyone knows.

cornergran Fri 12-Aug-22 16:37:03

Perhaps we change rather than GN?

Floriel Fri 12-Aug-22 17:51:47

I agree Toscalily. When I first joined I posted frequently, hoping for tolerant discussion, but I got so fed up of the aggressive, self-righteous responses from some posters that now I rarely bother.

boheminan Fri 12-Aug-22 18:09:18

I had my first Gransnet encounter in 2012 and added my first tentative thread a few weeks later. I was mortified at the mainly caustic responses and stayed away for months, licking my wounds. When I returned, desperately seeking advice, I was humbled by the response, so much helpful advice I was given. So, no I don't think GN's changed a lot over the last few years - it's still swings 'n' roundabouts!

Mine Fri 12-Aug-22 18:53:47

Everything changes eventually Toscalily....We have just got to go with the flow or be left behind