Gransnet forums

Pets

Tips for feeding a 4mth old kitten who won’t eat, please.

(66 Posts)
SueDonim Fri 08-Mar-24 16:33:49

I wonder if anyone can offer any tips on getting a 4mth old female kitten to eat more? We’ve had her for two weeks. So far I’ve tried fresh chicken and prawns, tinned tuna, the Felix pouches she was raised on, Whiskas, Wainrights, AVA, Purina, and something else I’ve forgotten. She eats a couple of mouthfuls and that’s it.

I’ve tried warming it up, as suggested by the vet, different bowls, different times of day (she was eating more in the evenings but now isn’t doing that, either.) She’s surviving on Hills Science Diet kitten kibble but not enough to be a full day’s portion.

She’s really quite skinny now and has only put on about 50g in two weeks. Our other kitten is putting on about 300g a week. The vet says she’s healthy and she’s certainly playful and lively but I’m worried at how long this can go on for before she becomes ill. I’ve never had a fussy cat before so am at a loss. Any tips grateful received!

J52 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:05:55

Years ago when we had a very young kitten we fed her on baby food for a while.

Ohmygoodness54 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:10:34

Have you tried mixing a little warm water with the kitten kibble to ensure she doesn't get dehydrated? Also perhaps water mixed with the food she was on before coming to you? Putting a bit on a spoon or even dapping a little on her nose sometimes works, it did with one of our kittens who was a slow starter compared to his litter mates when it came to eating. Possibly kitten milk to get some extra goodness into her too? Another thought, is her food dish near the litter tray? She may not like that. Let us know how it goes. 🐱

Opal Fri 08-Mar-24 17:13:23

I'd ask the vet to maybe do blood tests and to check out her mouth to make sure there are no sore patches inside. Also, have you tried raising her food off the floor? You can get raised frames to put the food bowl on, so she's at a more comfortable eating height. Just a thought .....
I agree re weight, she may be lively now, but she should be putting on more weight than you say she is, and they can go downhill so quickly. Hope this helps and she starts to eat again soon.

lixy Fri 08-Mar-24 17:14:31

Is she teething? If so teeth may be wobbly / troubling her?

We gave our kittens a cat formula milk (not cows milk) as a supplement for a while when this happened.

maddyone Fri 08-Mar-24 17:19:47

I don’t know what to suggest as we never had kittens, only adult rescue cats. Feeding them was never a problem, and so I haven’t got any suggestions, but couldn’t just scroll by without saying I hope she improves soon, and starts to eat. You must be extremely worried. I hope the suggestions of the others are helpful. Let us know how she gets on.

Aldom Fri 08-Mar-24 17:22:11

Maybe try a little soft kitten food, diluted with kitten milk. Put the mixture into a plastic syringe. Give your kitten tiny sqirts and see if she will swallow it. Hope this is helpful.

Oldbat1 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:24:25

We’ve had many cats/kittens. As you say a kitten not eating is odd and a huge concern. Has she been wormed recently? I would be taking her back to the vet - see another vet though. I hope to read she is on the mend.

Syracute Fri 08-Mar-24 19:25:09

There is a thread on Mums net with this same problem. Lots of ideas there and some are working.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:52:10

Might it be something to do with having another kitten? Is it a litter mate? Is she intimidated by it? Doesn’t like having her food in the same area?? Worth trying a dap diffuser ( my go to solution for most things puppy or kitten wise!)?

SueDonim Fri 08-Mar-24 20:17:15

Thank you for the ideas, they’re helpful. I’ve tried soaking the kibble in warm water. Same result, a couple of mouthfuls then she won’t eat it again. The other kitten happily hoovers it up, though!

They are not from the same litter but come from the same breeder/household. They are one each from two litters born two weeks apart. We got them two weeks apart, so maybe that’s part of the problem. I have a Feliway diffuser - is that the same as a dap diffuser?

I’ll try the kitten milk - I don’t know why I didn’t think of that as I’ve seen it on the pet shop shelf! They’re fully up to date with jabs and worming etc.

This evening she’s eaten about a quarter of a tin of tuna and a few Hills kibble biscuits, which she seems to like. She eats them out of my hand while sitting on my lap. I’m not too concerned about her fluid intake as they’ve both discovered the sink where dirty dishes being soaked prior to washing up offer a much tastier drink. Honestly, these pets. 🙄

I’ll weigh both kittens tomorrow and if she hasn’t gained anything it’ll be the vet on Monday, for sure.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-24 20:20:52

Do you feed them separately?
It might help if you did, perhaps?

SueDonim Sat 09-Mar-24 13:31:59

I’ve tried that this morning, MissAdventure and that, along with moving her bowl elsewhere, seems to have helped. She’s had more tuna this morning, eating up all I put down.

I also found a couple of useful websites with vet advice and will try some of those tips, too. They advise trying different bowls, so I’ve used a plate for her, and things like warming the food to make it smell stronger. 😷

I hope I’ll be able to sort it out now and get her eating nicely, thanks to everyone’s help. smile

PS they’re both very lively today - they’ve just smashed a glass hurricane lamp and managed to collapse a fabric linen basket. grin

MissAdventure Sat 09-Mar-24 16:30:59

That's good to hear. smile
Playful kittens, nothing better, in my opinion, anyway.

SueDonim Sat 09-Mar-24 21:58:49

I’ve spent some time and money in the pet store today and bought several tempting items.

Specially prepared chicken fillet - no thanks.
Tuna cat soup - no thanks.
Kitten milk - nope.

Trying to steal a piece of chicken from dh’s stir fry in hoisin sauce - don’t mind if I do!

I have no idea what’s going on with her.

nanna8 Sat 09-Mar-24 22:17:24

We adopted a funny little kitten once whose mum had died when she was about 4 or 5 weeks old. I used to actually hand feed her cooked chicken, tiny pieces. She got over it but she was never a big cat. 🐈

Gillycats Sat 09-Mar-24 22:59:53

Are you weighing her? Is she losing weight at all? I’d definitely think about a second opinion if she’s not eating the recommended amount of food for a kitten of her age. I’m hoping the vet has done blood tests to rule out infection/FIV/FELV. Also, you mentioned breeder - is she a pedigree?
Hopefully she’ll be fine and gain weight soon.

SueDonim Mon 11-Mar-24 14:48:18

I weighed both kittens yesterday. The boy put on 200g while the girl put on 100g. They both seem well enough, they’ve been absolutely bonkers today, racing round the house at 100mph.

I’ve tried a couple of other foods, which neither of them would eat! This evening I’ll try her on scrambled egg.

Callistemon21 Mon 11-Mar-24 15:04:17

She eats them out of my hand while sitting on my lap

We had a dog once which had belonged to an old lady who died, he had been quite pampered and wouldn't eat when we first got him. I sat on the floor with him and he'd eat from my fingers; I gradually got him to eat from the bowl.

She seems to be improving but if she regressed, I'd try a different vet. Did they test her poo in case she has an infection?

Iam64 Mon 11-Mar-24 15:30:46

Is it worth staying with the food she was raised on. Pups/kittens seem to do better on bland and boring in the early weeks in their new home. Too much variety can unsettle,
Is she wormed? Is her poo normal.

MayBee70 Mon 11-Mar-24 16:55:09

I don’t want to be alarmist but years ago, after losing what had been our best cat ever we bought a Burmese kitten from a breeder ( we felt the only cat that could replace ours would be a Burmese as although he was a moggie he was quite oriental). They gave us a two for the price of one, the second one being much smaller. Alas, after several weeks and trips to the vets, he died. I think it might be an idea to speak to the breeder and find out more about the history of the smaller kitten. I think, in our case, the breeder just wanted to give the little kitten a chance, but it resulted in heartache for our family.

SueDonim Mon 11-Mar-24 17:10:16

That’s very sad, Maybe. Poor little kitty. 😢

She now won’t eat the food she was weaned on, Iam64, which was Felix.

She is fully up to date with all jabs and worming, normal poos etc. It’s quite a mystery, as she seems well in herself, lively and curious. I’ll give the vet a call anyway and get her seen, I think.

Callistemon21 Mon 11-Mar-24 19:22:57

Is the other one a sibling? Is it bullying her?

Iam64 Mon 11-Mar-24 19:42:47

Good idea to get another vet check SueDonim. Let’s hope they don’t find anything worrying and can be helpful on feeding. I’m more experienced with dogs. My several cats have all rather ruled the roost. I remember my two going onto the garage roof and refusing to eat anything I put down. I’d rescued a poor screaming frog they and next doors cat were playing with. They made their feelings known even when in desperation I tried tuna fish best of luck with your kitten

Aveline Mon 11-Mar-24 19:55:08

Is she any particular breed? We had a female Abyssinian once who would only eat the jelly round special cat food. It was getting worse and worse. The vet told us that Abys are a breed which could starve themselves to death! Finally we returned her to the breeder as we couldn't do any more for her and she was wasting away.