Gransnet forums

Pets

Talk to me about Dog Walkers (please! 😊)

(80 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 02-Mar-24 16:58:59

Hello!
Long time no see! 😃

🐕 Do you have a dog walker?
🐕 How much do you pay?
🐕 How long do they take your dog/s out for?
🐕 Do they take multiple dogs?

Absolutely any information is more than welcome.

Thank you!

And I hope that you are well, I think of many of you often xx

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 02-Mar-24 17:16:17

Oh hello there Fanny, sorry haven't used a dog walker but around here I believe they are charging £10 for 30mins or £15 for an hours walk. The two I meet most often when I am out and about with my little feller are both very responsible young women who have done their doggie first aid courses, mostly seem to walk one or two at a time and don't just stand about and chat! So so nice to see you back! Did that pretty little puppy come to live with you?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Mar-24 17:35:56

Good to hear from you FannyCornforth sorry I cannot help with your dog walker questions.

Please don’t go away again.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 02-Mar-24 17:37:42

Hallo again FannyCornforth - I wondered what had happened to you. Hope you’re well. Sorry, I know nothing about dog walkers, but it’s good to hear from you!

Iam64 Sat 02-Mar-24 17:45:01

Hey Fanny, good to see yiu. You have a dig 🐶🐕

Dog walking and day care a growing, unregulated industry. My local park is dominated by ‘professional’ dog walkers. Our council missed a trick and doesn’t limit the numbers any one handler can walk. So, some have 7 or 8 dogs with them. One couple arrive in a van and take out 7 over excited yappy dogs - off lead together

So - if you’re looking for one, find out what their qualifications, experience and insurance cover is. How many dogs they walk together. Will they let your dog off lead, other than in a safe enclosed field
Best of luck x

AlwaysSmiling Sat 02-Mar-24 17:53:59

If you cannot take a dog out for a walk by yourself then don't get one. I have seen dog walkers on our park with about 7 dogs on leads. She gets to the park entrance and lets them all off their leads. (it is a wonder they all come back) there is dog poo everywhere and there is no way she can pick it all up as she is back in her van after 15 minutes. If they charge £10 for 30 minutes then that is £70 per 30 minutes. These people are out to make money and do not care about the dogs at all.

Iam64 Sat 02-Mar-24 18:02:21

AlwaysSmiling, I’d never used, or would have wanted to use a dog Walker. I’ve always had dogs, often 2 or 3. Never any problems.

Almost 2 years ago, my husband was unexpectedly given a dreadful diagnosis. He lived for 6 months during which time we had alternate weeks of 3 days a week hospital, following week recovering. Our lab was 16 months - a huge, powerful , giddy, teenager. I found a well recommended dog Walker. It was a disaster as she was dishonest and mixed him with large groups of unstable dogs, off lead rather than the 3 other dogs she’d said.
This is one of the reasons my earlier post made suggestions to Fanny.

When our lab joined us (and our older dog) we were well able to walk miles. Life gets in the way sometimes and plans have to change.

kittylester Sat 02-Mar-24 18:04:19

Very harsh post, AlwaysSmiling. People's circumstances change.

Hi, fanny, hope you are well.

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Mar-24 18:05:53

Thanks all!
It’s really nice to be back.

AlwaysSmiling 🙄
My dog is ten years old; you haven’t a clue about my circumstances; and I posted this thread specifically to avoid the sort of situation that you describe

Cossy Sat 02-Mar-24 18:09:52

Hiya Fanny

We too have lots of dog walkers, about £12 per dog per 30 minutes. They range from the professional to the line walkers. Just ask about and if you have a neighbourhood site like “Next Door” then pop a note on there and ask for personal recommendations. Good luck xx flowers

Cossy Sat 02-Mar-24 18:10:21

“Lone walkers”

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Mar-24 18:14:00

Thanks Cossy
That’s exactly the sort of thing that I mind, a student or similar.
I’m just mulling things over.

I dislocated my operated hip in January with dramatic effects 😣

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 02-Mar-24 18:14:16

AlwaysSmiling, naturally you would check out a dogwalker before entrusting him/her with your pooch! One of the dog walkers I meet walks a little Jack Russell when his owner is recuperating from cancer treatment- would it be better for this lady to re-home her beloved companion of many years because she is at the present time unable to get out every single day?

Norah Sat 02-Mar-24 18:14:30

FannyCornforth

Hello!
Long time no see! 😃

🐕 Do you have a dog walker?
🐕 How much do you pay?
🐕 How long do they take your dog/s out for?
🐕 Do they take multiple dogs?

Absolutely any information is more than welcome.

Thank you!

And I hope that you are well, I think of many of you often xx

We dog walk several times a day, however we do go away on holidays without dogs. So, we trade with our daughters, they walk/feed/care for ours and we do same when they are away.

Would family or friends be a solution for you?

Nice you're back!

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Mar-24 18:14:45

Edit: ‘I’m thinking of’

AskAlice Sat 02-Mar-24 18:20:11

Hello Fanny, so good to see you back posting!

I don't have a dog, but we back onto a common where there are lots of dog walkers and owners with their dogs, both on and off-lead. I'd suggest doing what a friend of mine did...lots of research and word of mouth recommendations and then, when she found one that she employed on a trial basis she found out where the dogs were to be walked and sent a friend on a recce to see what actually happened. Friend came back and reported all was well, just two dogs on lead and being put through their paces individually with extending leads for recall.

I hope you find someone you (and equally importantly your dog) are happy with. I would love to have a dog (we always had spaniels/terriers at home until I got married) but don't think I could cope with one now, and DH is not keen on them. I do have a tortoise though, less demanding on the walks and exercise front!!

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Mar-24 18:21:15

Norah sadly we are limited as to what family can do on a regular basis, as they arent local

Cossy Sat 02-Mar-24 18:33:55

FannyCornforth

^Thanks Cossy

I dislocated my operated hip in January with dramatic effects 😣^

Wishing you the speediest recovery possible flowers

Iam64 Sat 02-Mar-24 18:39:32

Fanny, our local village face book group is a good place to look for suggestions.
I do have family nearby, they can manage my little spaniel easily - the Big Lad not to easily given his size , immaturity and ‘issues’ resulting from mr i’s illness/bereavement. There are charlatans but also some good trainers/dog walkers around. My saviour is a woman who runs ` dog walking and training. The clue is in her training qualifications so I trust her with my boy

Hels001 Sat 02-Mar-24 19:45:54

Hi Fanny I took a leap of faith as some will know since I asked advice on here I have 1 older dog and now an energetic 2yr old. I'd looked on social media and asked around I only needed someone 1 day per week. I found a young man on fb who
was just starting out. I checked out his insurance DBS and council registration. I even drove down his road to check he lived where all this was registered to. Anyway he came met the boys and I. I was impressed and as I say after a couple of sleepless nights wondering if I was doing the right thing I signed up. I only needed a house visit 1 day a week - the day I can't get home from work at lunch to let them out. He stayed about 30mins played and let them out etc I paid 17 pound. Now iv asked if he'll give them a quick walk which he does supposed to be 30 mins but I know from my camera it's always about 40 mins I pay 20 pound for that. He does group walks for an hour 20 per dog. He's been a godsend I've been ill past couple of month and he's been happy to drop in adhoc to sort the boys and they quite clearly love him.

flappergirl Sat 02-Mar-24 20:04:14

FannyCornforth

Thanks Cossy

I dislocated my operated hip in January with dramatic effects 😣

Sorry to hear about your hip and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Please don't employ a student or young person looking for spare cash. They must be insured and registered otherwise you could find yourself in hot water. Please make suitable checks which isn't as daunting as it sounds.

Marydoll Sat 02-Mar-24 20:09:30

Nice to see you back, Fanny. Hope you are well.

sodapop Sat 02-Mar-24 20:15:01

My granddaughter has a successful dog walking business. This is what she offers
Registered with the Local Authority
All dogs on walks wear trackers
She has attended several training courses in canine health & safety,dog training etc
All walks are videod and sent to the owners
No more than 4 dogs at a time
Van is kitted out with shower & drying facilities
Dogs trained to recall with her otherwise a training lead is used
Those are some things to look out for and of course references from others using the service.

Esmay Sat 02-Mar-24 20:46:04

It's £10 per hour .
The local dog walker doesn't take out too many dogs at a time and is entirely trustworthy .

NotAGran55 Sun 03-Mar-24 07:46:52

I can’t help you with dog walkers Fanny, but it is good to see you posting.
I hope you are comfortable following your dislocation and on the road to recovery.
Did you get the little puppy 🐶?