Gransnet forums

Pets

Newly acquired elderly cat and refusal of litter tray

(37 Posts)
GrannySomerset Mon 12-Feb-24 09:17:11

Just over a week ago I took on an eleven year old cat who has settled well except she won’t pee in her tray (the one which came with her, as did the cat litter). Any advice as to how I can stop her making puddles? She is delightful and affectionate but plainly still adjusting to a new life but I can’t put up with this for long. Help!!!

Septimia Mon 12-Feb-24 09:32:25

Does she pee near the litter tray or just anywhere around the house?
If near the tray, you could try putting newspaper around it in the hope that she pees on that.
You could also try picking her up and putting her in the tray, with encouraging words, when you see that she's peed where she shouldn't.
Failing that, you could try a different sort of litter. She might also be better if and when she's able to go out.

Shelflife Mon 12-Feb-24 09:38:40

Goodness me , I feel for you. However give her time , a week is not long so early days . We got our rescue three years ago , she was only young though and was extremely nervous, racing to round the house, hiding when we approached , I was beginning to think ' we hat have I done!' She also refused to use her litter tray! Fortunately it was in the utility room on a tiled floor , she always ' went' close to her tray - fortunately! Although you are providing her with the litter she has been familiar with why not try a change, I buy the compressed sawdust litter. Also have you placed her tray well away from her food bowl? - that is important. Failing that a check over at the vet may be the best move. I hasten to add that our cat is now the biggest softie ever , a real lap cat ! She took at least 6 months to settle with us. Good luck .

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-24 09:39:19

Could you try and get the same litter she has been used to, and maybe even the same type of tray?

Perhaps she's nervous about using something different.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Feb-24 09:58:16

missA both the litter and the litter tray came with the cat so it’s what she’s use to

shysal Mon 12-Feb-24 10:00:11

Puppy training pads would be useful to protect your floor where she is peeing, and putting another litter tray in the most used place. Golden Grey fine clumping litter from Zooplus is kinder to their paws (it needs a fine scoop), and it smells of baby powder.

My 19 year-old was 7 when I adopted him and would never use a tray. I used to clear him a spot of earth and supervise when he used it. Since settling in he always uses the cat flap to go out. If it is raining he is able to hold onto it for at least 24 hours!

Good luck, I am sure your patience will be rewarded.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-24 10:00:50

Oh I've just read that, in the OP.
Don't mind me, I'm going mad.

nanna8 Mon 12-Feb-24 12:05:11

One of our little cats had taken to poohing next to our downstairs toilet. We went out and bought a much bigger litter tray with higher sides and so far so good, she either goes outside or uses this new tray. Just a thought.

B9exchange Mon 12-Feb-24 12:24:38

It is recommended to have a litter tray per cat and an extra one, so perhaps provide a second one somewhere quiet where she will feel safe when using it?

We have a cat that insists on standing on his hind legs to pee, steadying himself with a front paw on the side of the tray. We have had to get an 18" tall box to stop it jetting in a graceful arc over the top!

SeaWoozle Mon 12-Feb-24 12:30:29

Maybe get a lid/roof for the litter tray. She might just want some privacy/be scared. And I definitely recommend puppy training pads. They were a godsend when we had a young dog a few years ago.

Oreo Mon 12-Feb-24 14:20:57

B9exchange

It is recommended to have a litter tray per cat and an extra one, so perhaps provide a second one somewhere quiet where she will feel safe when using it?

We have a cat that insists on standing on his hind legs to pee, steadying himself with a front paw on the side of the tray. We have had to get an 18" tall box to stop it jetting in a graceful arc over the top!

OMG! Worse than men.

Oreo Mon 12-Feb-24 14:22:16

SeaWoozle

Maybe get a lid/roof for the litter tray. She might just want some privacy/be scared. And I definitely recommend puppy training pads. They were a godsend when we had a young dog a few years ago.

The litter trays with a covered roof like a little house seem the way to go😃

GrannySomerset Mon 12-Feb-24 15:49:25

Thank you all. I have moved the tray to her chosen spot (very inconvenient as it’s by a door to the outside) and am waiting to see if that helps - she seems to be a once a day pee-er at present). Am reluctant to change anything that I don’t have to because I realise she is quite set in her ways, and maybe the problem will resolve itself once she is allowed outside but think I ought to keep her indoors for another week. All suggestions gratefully received!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 12-Feb-24 15:49:55

Empty the tray completely, wash it in hot water with a little washing-up liquid, dry it thoroughly and fill it with clean litter.

Most cats will not use a dirty tray - you may believe it is clean, but if the cat can smell that it isn't, you will not convince her to use it.

Female cats in my experience are far more fussy about the state of their trays than males. Probably because like women, the female cat is more likely to get a chill on the bladder or any other urinary infection than the male.

Next point: if the poor cat does have a uninary infection she may be trying to tell you so, by weeing outside her tray!

Put newspaper down and scrutinize it - if the stain is darker than it should be or looks like it contains a smear of blood - then you and the cat are on your way to the vet ASAP.

She may just be stressed at moving to a new home.

Did she go out in her former home? If so, she may, like my cats, only ever have used the tray if she was desperate overnight and be trying to get you to let her out.

Which of course, you can't do until you know she has settled in, and knows where she lives now, if indeed you are prepared to let her go out.

Grandmafrench Wed 14-Feb-24 13:12:53

Hello to a very patient GrannyS - there's nothing worse than cat pee where it shouldn't be!!
However, it sounds as if you have otherwise hit the jackpot with little Olive, so I think you're very wise to persevere and not let her outside until she has properly bonded and will be safe.
In the meantime, does she also not poo in the tray? If she does, then she obvs knows what it's for - and you say she uses the same tray and litter. Wonder if she shared the tray with others at her earlier abode - and maybe she's not keen on that memory, (we once had to have 3 trays for 3 cats).
Perhaps a new tray? The ones like little 'cat conveniences' with a roof are an excellent idea, but our cats never took to them.

Maybe putting a new tray down, or even the very clean current tray (you'd know not to use bleach products or disinfectant, just washing up liquid). If you see the next puddle in her usual place, mop up some of the pee with some clean cat litter and put a tiny bit into a part of the clean litter tray. She may smell this and get the message to use it. Clean the floor (hopefully tiles) - again, no bleach because apparently it can encourage cats to misbehave again! Put the litter tray to completely cover the spot and fingers (and paws) crossed.

She has clearly warmed to you and doesn't have things to worry or harass her in her new home. Hopefully she will settle soon and repay all your love and affection in the right way!🙄

Elizjane Thu 15-Feb-24 11:24:11

I inherited my daughter’s eleven year old cat two years ago as she was stressed and peeing everywhere except in her tray. But there was also blood in her pee…
Took her to the vet and she had small crystals in her bladder so after having them removed she has been great with no problems at all. She is also on a diet of dry and wet food which is specifically designed for cats prone to urinary problems.
Plus puppy trading pads are great under the litter tray.
Hope it improves…

orly Thu 15-Feb-24 11:28:11

nanna8

One of our little cats had taken to poohing next to our downstairs toilet. We went out and bought a much bigger litter tray with higher sides and so far so good, she either goes outside or uses this new tray. Just a thought.

Same here. Our cat was over 20 when she passed away. During her last few years she became a house cat only venturing out occasionally so we invested in a litter tray but most were too small and she scattered litter everywhere until we bought here a large solid sided washing basket and she and we were happy with that solution.

rowyn Thu 15-Feb-24 11:29:22

I'm wondering about the placement of the tray; Does she/he feel safe when in it or is it quite exposed?
and I know that she/he was used to using a tray but I remember training one cat by gently plonking them in the tray and moving their front paws as though they were covering up what they had produced. It eventually worked. Might be worth a try - very gently.....

Jess20 Thu 15-Feb-24 11:34:41

When you clean up the pee, put some in her litter box so she has the chance to figure out what it's for, it may have come with her but it may not be one she has used before

Lilliesmum79 Thu 15-Feb-24 12:19:46

Make sure to clean any accidents with hot water with biological washing powder dissolved in it. Only thing that will remove smell when it is dry wipe down area with surgical spirit let it air dry. If cat is elderly maybe hurts climbing in or out of tray use some books etc to make a wee step for her. I've had lots of foster cats through the yrs volunteered with animal rescue the biological powder is only thing worked for me.

missdeke Thu 15-Feb-24 12:23:08

Where was the tray in her previous house? Lounge, Kitchen or Bathroom? Can you put it in a similar place in your own house.? Also if she is now going in the same place on your floor, she may think that's where she is supposed to go. Thorough cleaning and anti pee spray in such places is worth trying too. When I first started letting my cat out he used to come back in to use his litter tray because that is where he thought he should be going.

MayBee70 Thu 15-Feb-24 12:26:02

I wonder if an Adaptil plug in would help? I think the cat version is called feliway. I always use one if I have a new pet. When I had cats my girl cat used to wee everywhere ( the smell was awful).

ninamoore Thu 15-Feb-24 12:43:30

Try to put some of her unrine in the litter tray, the smell of it might trigger the desired response. We did this with our elderly cat, dementia.

Gingerjude57 Thu 15-Feb-24 12:46:02

Try putting some litter on the puddle of pee to soak it a bit and mix it into the clean litter in the tray! 🐈🐈‍⬛

GrannySomerset Thu 15-Feb-24 13:02:23

Lots of good ideas so thank you all. Will report back in due course. Currently have two trays and will buy puppy pads and hope going outside soon will help. Olive is a very companiable cat and comes to sit with me - not a lap sitter yet, but who knows. Have dealt with today’s offering next to the tray but will try various excellent suggestions tomorrow. Who knew another cat would prove so exciting?