Gransnet forums

Pets

PDSA - Dog needs operation.

(43 Posts)
Elless Thu 08-Feb-24 10:25:32

We took our dog to the Animal Trust where she had an X Ray that showed she has ruptured her cruciate ligament and now needs an operation which is going to cost £2000 ( we stupidly did not have her insured). I have found out that we are entitled to use the PDSA, has anybody used them and does anyone know their charges?

OldFrill Thu 08-Feb-24 10:58:31

It's on their website, depends what benefits you are claiming.

Oldbat1 Thu 08-Feb-24 13:36:19

Not in all areas though.

25Avalon Thu 08-Feb-24 13:42:41

You have to be on benefits to claim. Should you not qualify but find it too expensive you could do crowd fundraising. Alternatively does the dog definitely need an operation? Sometimes it will heal with care and hydrotherapy but that also has a cost implication.

Smileless2012 Thu 08-Feb-24 13:45:18

I don't have any knowledge of the PDSA Elless but wanted to say I hope your dog makes a full recovery. We love them so much don't we flowers.

Georgesgran Thu 08-Feb-24 13:53:40

We had a spaniel with the same problem/injury and paid that amount for his operation 15 years ago, so actually your quote is pretty reasonable.
We never took out pet insurance, with multiple dogs, it was uneconomic. In fact, for his age, we’d have paid the op in premiums several times over.

I’m another really just wishing you and your beloved dog well.

Grammaretto Thu 08-Feb-24 15:12:31

Why don't you ask the PDSA? I have heard the treatment is excellent and you are lucky to qualify.

A woman I knew whose kitten was saved by a costly operation, offered to work for free at the animal hospital, cleaning cages etc until her debt was cleared. She did just that.

I hope your dog recovers.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 08-Feb-24 15:17:53

One of my dogs had this very costly, but essential, operation. Please contact the PDSA without delay, your dog is suffering and needs treatment. I would spend my last penny on my dog and go without myself rather than let her suffer.

MaluCatchu1 Thu 08-Feb-24 16:08:21

You don't necessarily have to be on benefits to use them - the people who qualify for the PDSA are all on their site. I am eligible as I am disabled on PIP but don't get treatment free just at a discount from a "normal" vet fee. My dog had BOAS surgery that cost almost £600 with the PDSA but would have been probably at least double elsewhere. That being said they did a dreadful job and my poor little dog is having more not less trouble breathing now. They use a lot of newly qualified vets with no experience. I think it depends on what treatment is needed as to the outcome. They are also very limited on the drugs they can prescribe. I personally wouldn't use them again but would beg borrow or steal (not literally of course) to take my pets to a "proper" vet

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 08-Feb-24 16:21:35

Some vets will take payment in instalments rather than let an animal suffer. Have you asked your vet about that?

OldFrill Thu 08-Feb-24 17:23:16

Here is a link to the PDSA site showing eligibility criteria (you need to live within a certain area and be claiming some kind of benefit).
To get around this some people register their pets with a relative that meets the criteria, its a reason l stopped volunteering for the PDSA.

OldFrill Thu 08-Feb-24 17:23:43

Whoops the link
www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-advice/our-services

SheepyIzzy Thu 08-Feb-24 20:10:32

£2000 for a cruciate? Crikey, is that what ALL vets are charging now? What a rip off! We had an idiotic 40kg dog who, 2002 I think, needed her cruciate replaced, £236 the bill was. Went back a few months later to have it replaced with one suitable for an elephant (the vet said, as he'd never known such a loon!) A few months later, went back and had the other leg done with elephant ligament, waste of time otherwise. But each op was around the same price.

They are also an independent practice. Even now, they are independent but have had to raise fees, but still cheaper than many.

Georgesgran Thu 08-Feb-24 20:40:33

Our local vet said he wasn’t able to do our dog’s op and referred us to a Vet Hospital, 20 miles away. Unfortunately that Vet underestimated how active a working spaniel could be and the op had to be repeated, using heavy duty screws. There was no charge for the second op - but, yes £2K about 10 years ago.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 08-Feb-24 20:42:45

We paid several thousands of pounds for a cruciate ligament repair about 8 years ago. I would never call veterinary treatment for a much loved pet a rip off. Dreadful expression.

Redrobin51 Thu 08-Feb-24 20:58:07

A lady who I see with her dog on the park had her dog kicked by a horse and had quite bad injuries. The PDSA operated and the care was excellent. She was a carer for her very ill husband so not working and only paid a fraction of the cost of the operation. There is an eligibility checker on the PDSA website page. Hooe your dog makes a full recovery,x

Elless Fri 09-Feb-24 10:38:36

Thank you so much for the advice. I have now registered with the PDSA as I am eligible. She definitely needs the operation and I have read online that some vets charge over £5k. We have already paid £400 for her xray and there is no question that we will pay for her op - ironic really because I refuse to pay for myself to have surgery even though I am in pain. They tug on your heartstrings so much.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 10:43:16

I’m so glad your dog will be able to have her operation. My dog recovered very quickly, yours should too.

OldFrill Fri 09-Feb-24 13:05:58

I hope everything goes well for your dog Elless. Such a stressful time.

Suziplant Fri 09-Feb-24 13:17:19

We had a similar problem some years ago and were quoted over 7k - and she wasn’t insured. My husband was desperately ill in hospital at the time and we had to postpone the operation. Teazle the dog was having hydro therapy at the time and we were recommended using OrtoCanis brace and strapping which we bought on line. It has been excellent and she is fine, although she wears it daily just in case. She’s very lively and we also used Metacam and Onsior at times. A changed dog.
Best wishes what ever path you take.

Elless Fri 09-Feb-24 13:58:39

Thank you Suziplant I have bought a sling ready to help her afterwards. Weird because my son has Perthes and had the exact same operation on his hip, he was in a frog plaster with a broomstick which made it easier to carry him around, I wish Bailey was going in plaster.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 14:00:55

My dog had worked out how to get around on three legs the next day!

Oldbat1 Fri 09-Feb-24 17:29:15

I think people forget that dogs are a luxury. I love all my dogs. Currently have 3 but only have insurance for 2. Insurance is expensive and even more so after 10yrs of age. My 15year oldie isn’t insured now and I pay £100 a month for an injection. She is my luxury. I don’t eat out, or go to the theatre, haven’t had a holiday for two years but totally worth it to me.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 18:10:55

I completely understand that. My girl is my indulgence. She can’t cope with kennels so we never go away but that’s such a small sacrifice for all she gives us.

strangepapyrus Sun 11-Feb-24 12:17:47

Unfortunately the world of veterinary care has generally become a rip off, maybe not this specifically but I fully understand the sentiment. A lot of Vets are now part of large groups that just see pet insurance as a cash cow and charge accordingly, pushing prices up to increased levels that are now considered standard. I think they even sometimes push for unnecessary, but harmless, treatment just to generate income. This then makes pet insurance unaffordable for a lot of people. They have "healthy pet clubs" that seem like value for money but are in fact all geared to take as much money from you as possible. I have a 10 year old cocker spaniel and he's been such a wonderful part of our life, but after dealing with insurers (which we can no longer have) and veterinary groups over the years I am absolutely adamant that I will never own another animal again for the rest of my life. The experience with them has been awful. If the original OP wants to set up a gofundme page for the cost of this operation I will gladly donate. Good luck 🤞