Gransnet forums

Pets

Plaque on dogs teeth

(29 Posts)
cmcpne Wed 31-Jan-24 18:19:28

Has anyone tried NutriPaw water additive to help manage stains and plaque on their dogs teeth? My 8 year border collie has a build up of either tartar or plaque on her canine teeth ( I know they’re all canine in a dog but you know what I mean) and she won’t let me clean her teeth for longer than 3 seconds. I’ve seen this product advertised. I would rather have a recommendation from someone who has used it rather than go off an advert on Facebook though so any advice very welcome.

V3ra Wed 31-Jan-24 18:58:43

A friend is using it for her dog and seems happy with it.
She says she has to mix it fresh every day otherwise it's not very appetising looking.

I did consider it for my dog, 12 years old, as his teeth are not very good, but despite having his own fresh water daily he's just as likely to drink the water from the house plant saucers.
So if he didn't like the additive it would be a waste of money, and I thought it was quite pricey.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 19:12:47

I asked for advice a while back about this when my vet said my dog would need a descale under anaesthetic in a year or so and was advised to give her an ostrich bone. I’ve never given my dogs bones even though her breeder recommended raw chicken wings to keep her teeth clean but I bought an ostrich bone and the plaque has gone.They aren’t like other bone, they look like a honey comb. I also brush with Logik each night and always put plaque off in her food. She also has a Skippers fish stick once a day. It’ll be interesting to hear what my vet ( who gave me no advise other than an operation) says when she has her yearly check up. This is a before and after of my dogs teeth

cmcpne Wed 31-Jan-24 20:03:45

Thank you both very much.
V3ra Meg also is just as likely to drink from the bird bath or any puddle we pass and actually doesn’t seem to drink an awful lot from her actual water bowl. It does seem pricey I agree which was why I thought of asking for advice here. Cheaper than a de-scale of course & she gets so very stressed at the vets I really couldn’t put her through that. Interesting that your friend is happy with nutripaw though and that may sway me towards it if all else fails.
MayBee70 I like the sound of the ostrich bones and am going to try and source some ( well one at least to make sure she will eat it) I haven’t seen plaqueoff but again I will give it a go the same with the Skippers fish stick.

V3ra Wed 31-Jan-24 20:11:42

MayBee70 I remember your advice about the ostrich bone, and I ordered one at the time.
Unfortunately my dog wouldn't go near it, indeed he seemed terrified of it, so I sent it back 😕

Commonground Wed 31-Jan-24 20:13:44

My collie cross is coming up to ten and has no tartar at all. I have used Plaque Off sprinkled on one of her meals every day since she was a pup. The vets are always very impressed when she goes for her six monthly checks.

cmcpne Wed 31-Jan-24 20:19:54

Plaque off on my shopping list now!

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 20:42:18

V3ra

MayBee70 I remember your advice about the ostrich bone, and I ordered one at the time.
Unfortunately my dog wouldn't go near it, indeed he seemed terrified of it, so I sent it back 😕

Oh I’m sorry about that. I switched from leg bones which were very messy to knuckle bones. Not sure if they get the plaque off as well but they’re not as messy. When she gets bored with it I smear some doggie peanut butter on and she gets interested again. I hope you got your money back because they’re not cheap are they sad. I might still take her to a dog groomers that does Emmi pet tooth cleaning. I’ll try anything to avoid anaesthesia as I’m sure it was having several operations that contributed to my last dogs kidney failure.

Patsy70 Wed 31-Jan-24 20:46:51

We use a buffalo horn and antlers for our dog to chew. He is seven years old now and has no plaque on his teeth. 🤞 I will also try the plaque off. Thank you. 😊

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 20:55:12

cmcpne

Thank you both very much.
V3ra Meg also is just as likely to drink from the bird bath or any puddle we pass and actually doesn’t seem to drink an awful lot from her actual water bowl. It does seem pricey I agree which was why I thought of asking for advice here. Cheaper than a de-scale of course & she gets so very stressed at the vets I really couldn’t put her through that. Interesting that your friend is happy with nutripaw though and that may sway me towards it if all else fails.
MayBee70 I like the sound of the ostrich bones and am going to try and source some ( well one at least to make sure she will eat it) I haven’t seen plaqueoff but again I will give it a go the same with the Skippers fish stick.

Some of the Skippers stuff is very messy. The scales go everywhere. So I tend to buy the less messy ones, although I think the scaly ones are probably the best at cleaning. At night she now jumps on the sofa to have her teeth cleaned. She only really lets me rub it on her canines but because it’s an enzyme it should work while she sleeps.Unless she goes and has a drink of water (which she tends to do). What I don’t understand is that she always drinks her water when it’s fresh even though she makes a point of finding the dirtiest, slimiest water possible in the garden or on walks. She now insists on having a Skippers after her evening meal and they’re not cheap. I have started substituting a cheaper tripe stick or rabbits ear sometimes.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 20:56:20

Patsy70

We use a buffalo horn and antlers for our dog to chew. He is seven years old now and has no plaque on his teeth. 🤞 I will also try the plaque off. Thank you. 😊

My dogs breeder said to never give an antler bone as they break teeth.

Iam64 Wed 31-Jan-24 21:01:50

My dogs have a small marrow bone once or twice a week. Their teeth are pearly white.
I triEd various plaque off products when my lab was a pup and too young I believed for the joy a marrow bone brings, none of them worked

CocoPops Wed 31-Jan-24 22:20:54

I sprinkle PlaqueOff powder on my dog's food and brush her teeth with peanut butter flavoured tooth paste and her teeth look great.

V3ra Wed 31-Jan-24 22:40:52

I hope you got your money back because they’re not cheap are they

I had it from Amazon. It was £20 but I returned it and had a refund, no problem.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 22:44:29

V3ra

^I hope you got your money back because they’re not cheap are they^

I had it from Amazon. It was £20 but I returned it and had a refund, no problem.

Amazon have a very good returns policy. I’ve tried not to use them over the years but I now use them all the time.

Gwyllt Wed 31-Jan-24 23:16:04

My young dog has lovely white teeth the eight year olds teeth although sound and no doggy breath were discoloured
Both now have plaque X on their food and oesophagus chews which I have read are apparently good for all sorts of things Older dog likes these chews but would not.touch the plain hide ones
The eight year olds teeth are now nearly as good as the youngsters and seem to be continuing to improve. I am talking several months not over night

foxie48 Mon 26-Feb-24 19:06:06

Reviving this thread as I had my 7 year old border terrier in the vets for a clean and they had to remove four teeth. I am totally mortified. Despite doing all the teeth/mouth stuff with him when he was a pup, he just will not let me clean his teeth or even have a good look in his mouth. He's had dental chews, seaweed stuff from the Vet, fish skin chews etc and he's always had a good quality dry food. They took at pic of his teeth and I was appalled, no other signs that he had a teeth problem except I thought his breath was a bit smelly. The vet has recommended Yak milk chews. Anyone use them? He is such a lovely dog and I feel I've let him down and really would like to find something that works for him.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Feb-24 19:19:17

Some dogs just have bad teeth and certain breeds are just prone to it. On the subject of letting our dogs down, I took my dog on the longest walk she’s had for ages yesterday ( it was a rescue sighthound walk and I really wanted her to go as sighthounds love meeting other sighthounds). I then took her on another long walk afterwards and, when we got home noticed her foot looked red. She had done the walk with a nail bed infection that I hadn’t noticed. I dremel her nails most nights but the family have been staying with us and I’d not looked at her feet for a week. I feel absolutely furious with myself. Going back to teeth, is there a local groomers that do Emmi pet tooth cleaning? Dogs will often let groomers do things that their owners can’t do.

Esmay Mon 26-Feb-24 19:29:01

I've had many dogs and one thing that all of them got used is having their teeth brushed .
I'm a bit hands on with dog grooming - happy to shampoo trim and clip and not afraid of expressing anal glands as well !

MayBee70 Mon 26-Feb-24 20:02:19

Winnie loves Logik toothpaste? I usually only get a few teeth brushed before the nice taste has gone, though.

Witzend Mon 26-Feb-24 20:08:40

Our last dog was addicted to crunchy raw carrots, and anything like cauliflower or broccoli stalks. Her teeth were still very good when she died at 14.
She was never keen on dog biscuits, though. If given e.g. a Bonio, she’d just bury it!

foxie48 Mon 26-Feb-24 20:22:47

He has raw carrots, broccoli etc. I've tried the brushing with a tasty toothpaste but although he'll let me do most things, he won't let me brush his teeth. I think BTs are a bit prone to tooth problems. Not heard of Emmi pet cleaning but I'll look it up. I hand strip him without any problems but I don't think he's let anyone else do it but who knows! Keep the ideas going!

foxie48 Mon 26-Feb-24 20:24:19

Just looked it up and not sure he'd let anyone near his mouth.

Redrobin51 Mon 26-Feb-24 21:29:48

The Emmi pet cleaning for teeth is great. We have a rescue and the vet wanted her to have them cleaned under anesthetic as they were brown with tarter. As she had had such a rough time before we had her decided against it. Our last rescue who died at 16 had beautiful teeth as she had always let me clean them but this poor rescue hadn't really been used to being handled. Then our groomer said she had trained in teeth cleaning. Each dog has their own tooth brush head. Within two cleans we could see the difference. When she went for her 6 monthly check at the vets the vet commented how perfect her teeth were. It was £30 for the initial clean and toothbrush head and between £10-15 for subsequent cleans. We don't need to have it done every time.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Feb-24 22:52:29

I asked my vet about Emmi pet when he said Winnie needed to have her teeth cleaned under anaesthetic and he’d never heard of it. It annoys me that vets aren’t clued up on alternative treatments given than operations aren’t good for dogs especially when they get older: and you often have to pay for a kidney function test on top of the operation.