Gransnet forums

Pets

I can’t stop crying after making the decision to end my cats misery

(46 Posts)
Nansypansy Sat 27-Jan-24 07:10:33

My beautiful red Birman boy has gone. I feel so unhappy. He had cat flu but also an underlying kidney problem. He’d stopped eating, drinking, toiletting etc. And I couldn’t bear to see him look so miserable so I decided to take him back to the vets yesterday to see what treatment might help. In a nutshell the vet said he felt he couldn’t shift the virus because of his kidneys which was probably compromising his immune system. There were things he could do in the short term but I realised it would prolong the inevitable so made that horrible decision. Now I’m the one who’s miserable and can’t stop crying. He was approaching 16 and has been such a comfort to me over several years of unhappy times. There’s just no answer is there when it’s their time to go over the rainbow bridge. I’m 79 and the house is so empty without him.😢😢😢

sodapop Sat 27-Jan-24 07:19:32

So sorry Nansypansy it's very hard to make that decision isn't it. The last loving thing we can do for our pets. Your boy is free from pain now and you will always have such wonderful memories of him.

Blossoming Sat 27-Jan-24 07:34:57

So very sorry Nansypansy, we love our pets and it is heartbreaking to watch them suffer. There comes a point when the only kind thing you can do is say goodbye and ease their passing. ❤️

Joseann Sat 27-Jan-24 07:40:53

I'm very sorry Nansypansy. He is still with you in spirit. 16 is a good life and he was so loved.

LilyB14 Sat 27-Jan-24 08:09:46

So sorry. A loved pet is a family member who you will grieve for just the same. I really feel for you and hope you find solace in knowing you did the right thing for your boy. Sending hugs.

Chardy Sat 27-Jan-24 08:12:36

There's little I can say. The house is so quiet because you did the right thing. Sending hugs from all the pet owners in Gransnetland.

LadyGracie Sat 27-Jan-24 08:13:52

It is awful Nansypansy, I'm so sorry. They are part of you, you rely on them, you still see them out of the corner of your eye even when you know they've gone.
My BSH was PTS in December 2017, I said I wouldn't have another cat, then in January 2018 I adopted a rescue, I was so lonely and sad. My rescue could never replace Bertie but he is my constant companion and a great comfort.

Pammie1 Sat 27-Jan-24 08:38:49

I’m so sorry for your loss Nansypansy. I know only too well the pain you’re feeling now. Grieving for a beloved animal is no less painful than for a human - they too are family. But you should take comfort that you have done the right thing by your beloved boy. He couldn’t make the decision for himself so you put his needs first and made the brave decision to bring him peace. When our own beloved boy passed l remember seeing a poem called ‘The Last Battle’. I’ve copied it below and I hope it brings some comfort. The pain will pass Nansypansy. And when it does, l’m sure lovely memories of your life together will be there to make you smile. In the meantime, sending you a virtual hug.💐

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

nanna8 Sat 27-Jan-24 08:49:29

Deep sympathy for your loss Nansypansy. When we had to have our darling Declan put to sleep after 23 years of purrs and loves we put aside a little part of our garden in his memory. I planted different lavenders, begonias and little flowering plants and I remember him as I look at it. We have 2 little rescue cats now but it took a while to be ready for that. They become like our family, don’t they ?

Georgesgran Sat 27-Jan-24 08:54:52

Beautiful poem - it’s brought back the memories of all the cats and dogs we had to PTS over the years - we never had any who simply died. Thats why my mantra is A day too soon, is better than an hour too late.
I’m so sorry for your loss Nansy

biglouis Sat 27-Jan-24 08:57:17

My nephew was very upset when his old cat became blind and began to have fits. He had to take her to the vet to be PTS. His flatmate was in tears. He said he would not have another cat.

6 months later an old friend brought him a kitten in a box that was being ill treated (the kitten not the box). Now he has a beautiful ginger cat with a completely different personality.

Redhead56 Sat 27-Jan-24 09:02:45

It’s a sad day indeed and as a pet owner I do know how sad you must feel. Each coming day you will remember the joy he brought you. It will bring a smile to your face and keep his spirit alive now he is free from pain.💐

Sparklefizz Sat 27-Jan-24 09:19:35

It's awful Nansypansy and I understand how bereft you feel, plus it's horrible to have had to make that decision, but you've done the kind thing for him. They are part of our family and leave a big gap. Big hugs to you flowers

shysal Sat 27-Jan-24 09:23:39

To be pain free was your final gift to him. You will have many fond memories.

My cats are 16 and 19, both with health problems. I'm dreading the day when I have to make the same decision.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jan-24 09:56:55

So very sorry Nansypansy[flowers[.

A beautiful poem Pammiel. I shed tears for every one of our precious pets we've lost over the years.

MissInterpreted Sat 27-Jan-24 10:13:35

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved cat. It's the most difficult thing any pet owner has to do, but rest assured you did the best thing for them by allowing them to pass with dignity and no more suffering.

BladeAnnie Sat 27-Jan-24 10:18:50

So very sorry for the loss of your best friend flowers. It might not seem like it now but you did the last kindness you could ❤️ . I had to make that decision for my dear 22 year old boy last August and I still cry about it BUT I do know now that I did the only thing I could at the time and no-one can take away the happiness and joy we gave to each other. Be kind to yourself and cry all you need to. Sending love and hugs

Galaxy Sat 27-Jan-24 10:22:03

I am so so sorry for your loss. You are grieving the loss of your friend. It sounds as though you took the best care of him. I hope you can gain some comfort from that. Take care x

TerriBull Sat 27-Jan-24 10:30:39

Really sorry for your loss, I never underestimate the loss of a much loved pet, they are companions. Cats are wonderful animals.

Scribbles Sat 27-Jan-24 10:34:02

Sending sympathy and (((hugs))), NansyPansy. Every pet lover who's been where you are now will understand how you're feeling today. Be kind to yourself; you did the right thing for your beloved cat.

dogsmother Sat 27-Jan-24 10:42:27

So tough 💐 you did what need to be done.
He’s at peace now 🌈 you must kind to yourself as it was for the best.

SueDonim Sat 27-Jan-24 11:49:55

I’m so sorry, Nansypansy. It hurts so much to say goodbye to our furry friends. We lost our last Boy at the end of ‘22, similar to your beautiful lad - recurring cat flu, kidney problems and he was blind. He was a rescue and about 15/16yo.

There will always be a cat-shaped part of your heart reserved just for him. ❤️ xxx

toscalily Sat 27-Jan-24 12:07:50

You did the right thing in not letting him suffer any more even though the decision was so hard. Remember the 16 years you had together, a comfort and joy for you both. So sorry for your loss flowers

JaneJudge Sat 27-Jan-24 12:13:24

You made the best decision for him and that was a very brave and selfless thing to do. Be kind to yourself flowers

Visgir1 Sat 27-Jan-24 12:20:55

Thoughts with you, it's hard. But you cared right up to the end and let him go.
The perfect owner... in time somewhere there is perhaps an Older Cat that needs you to care for them.
Take care all our thoughts with you 🌹