Gransnet forums

Pets

Firework Noise

(29 Posts)
Juicywords Sat 04-Nov-23 19:55:41

My poor cat gets so stressed by fireworks but Iā€™ve just tried the ā€œspot onā€ Beaphar treatment on him a few hours ago and it really has calmed him. Heā€™s lying next to me on the sofa with what sounds like a war zone crashing around us, but heā€™s not batting an eyelid. Think Iā€™ll be trying it myself šŸ˜»

Claralou Sat 04-Nov-23 19:59:40

My little yorkie is so upset with the very loud fireworks she is 10 years old and cant settle , ill be glad when its all over she particularly doesn't like the loud whoosh ones ā˜¹ļø

midgey Sat 04-Nov-23 20:07:39

So far I have two puddles, poor dog canā€™t/darent go out and the fireworks have been fewer but longer lasting this year. Just hope she doesnā€™t have a heart attack!

Urmstongran Sat 04-Nov-23 20:09:11

We back on to our local grammar school with a sports pavilion. An organised display is taking place right now and itā€™s pretty spectacular but the booms are VERY loud! We used to have 2 roan cocker spaniel sisters who were SO chilled out on Bonfire. Night they would happily snooze through the drama just lying on the rug on their sides! I used to wonder if it was in their DNA as gun dogs not to be stressed?

Could all of you with pets not pre-empt this anxiety by asking your vet for calming medication if you know your animals are going to be distressed this weekend?

crazyH Sat 04-Nov-23 20:11:42

I donā€™t have pets, so please forgive what Iā€™m about to say. I love fireworks. My son used to always have a great display, but not this year. Heā€™s tightening his belt. So Iā€™ll stay in and watch the neighboursā€™ displays .

LOUISA1523 Sat 04-Nov-23 20:16:28

They are going off big time round here.. dogs fine as we are with him ...wouldn't leave him home alone this weekend tho

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Nov-23 20:19:56

I love fireworks too.
My family labrador/collie cross was unconcerned about fireworks. He was happy to watch them with us.

My parent's Yorkshire Terriers were fine with them too. One was only calm if he could see them, another was fine regardless.

I think it's maybe a personality thing?...

Very sad for all those who are unhappy though.

Ailidh Sat 04-Nov-23 20:23:25

My dogs that I'd had from puppies weren't bothered by firework noise but my current one was four years a street dog in Romania, and is petrified. Weirdly, he's not so bad outside on a lead, so we've managed the evening pee.

Sparklefizz Sat 04-Nov-23 20:50:38

Not heard of Beaphar, Juicywords. I must google it. My poor cat was out in the garden when the fireworks started at 5pm and she was freaked out, worse than other years. I have had to have the TV on very loud to drown out the whooshes and bangs.

Iam64 Sat 04-Nov-23 20:54:10

The level of noise gets worse by the year. My two dogs are both unconcerned. Iā€™ve been lucky, always had an older dog who followed the previous older dogs lead and ignored the noise. But I still be.ie e itā€™s too frequent, too loud and Iā€™d prefer it restricted to organised displays only - and not every night

Joseann Sat 04-Nov-23 21:01:32

It's louder than usual here too, but the two goldies aren't bothered. The cat was a bit perturbed.
I hope everyone's pets aren't suffering too much. The spot on calmer sounds good.

FlexibleFriend Sat 04-Nov-23 21:06:47

No dog I've ever owned has been even slightly bothered by fireworks.

Jaxjacky Sat 04-Nov-23 21:20:12

Gun dog Urms

Juliet27 Sat 04-Nov-23 21:25:35

BonfireNight they would happily snooze through the drama just lying on the rug on their sides! I used to wonder if it was in their DNA as gun dogs not to be stressed?
I had two pointers - one had been gun dog trained but as she turned out to be gun-shy I took her on. There was no calming her on bonfire night and yet her sister from the same litter was fine.

Ali23 Sat 04-Nov-23 21:31:35

Our Border Terrier was terrified by fireworks as a younger dog. She would be literally trying to climb the furniture to reach our neck and shoulders ( she was the same in a storm). Sheā€™s not so sensitive now as sheā€™s old and deaf, and we use pet remedy spray.
Lasy year there were some super-loud bangs for several nights running. One evening she actually jumped out of her sleep and cried and urinated all at once. It goes on for a good week here because of bonfire night and diwali always being so close.
Surely it is possible to just produce low sound fireworks?

Bodach Sat 04-Nov-23 21:36:00

FlexibleFriend

Same here; but we've always had Spaniels, Retrievers, various cross-breeds (whose mothers had made it over the courtyard wall whilst on heat) and a solitary (and unusually placid, it would seem) Jack Russell. I sometimes wonder if owners' anxieties about their pets potentially being upset by the bangs are picked up by their pets, who then become anxious etc etc. (Retires behind sofa...)

Mollygo Sat 04-Nov-23 21:37:43

We were out for a walk when the fireworks started here. Her first reaction was to jump up at me, but as we walked home , she was doing her usual sniff and explore.
Back home, she has spent the evening lying on DHā€™s knee, snoozing.
Our previous dog hid under the stairs on Bonfire night.
I donā€™t know if itā€™s a money thing, but we havenā€™t had fireworks every night up to the 5th like we usually do, just tonight and maybe tomorrow.

Primrose53 Sat 04-Nov-23 21:47:08

My friendā€™s year old labrador was killed last night on a busy main road. She was frightened by the fireworks in the village and escaped from her garden. Ended up about 3 miles away where a woman tried to catch her but she was hit by a car and killed. The car did not stop so guessing they thought it was a muntjac or badger as there are loads around here. The family are distraught.

Ziplok Sat 04-Nov-23 21:53:12

Thatā€™s so very sad to hear Primrose53.

25Avalon Sat 04-Nov-23 22:07:44

I found a dead young dear in the garden this morning. There were no marks on it. The very loud bangs here last night probably spooked it so in the dark it ran full pelt in to a tree.

Quokka Sat 04-Nov-23 22:36:42

FlexibleFriend

Well thatā€™s simply good luck. It very much depends on the dog. Two of mine are fine, one is a tad jumpy, the other is seriously terrified.

Iā€™ve given her a diazepam this year and that helped.

Dickens Sat 04-Nov-23 23:38:18

Primrose53

My friendā€™s year old labrador was killed last night on a busy main road. She was frightened by the fireworks in the village and escaped from her garden. Ended up about 3 miles away where a woman tried to catch her but she was hit by a car and killed. The car did not stop so guessing they thought it was a muntjac or badger as there are loads around here. The family are distraught.

šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

That is just awful. Poor dog, poor family.

Georgesgran Sat 04-Nov-23 23:47:30

We always had gun dogs - well trained too. They never batted an eyelid to any loud noises, even though they lived in outdoor kennels. However, part of their early training was to be accustomed to all sorts of noises, from simple human and animal sounds to me banging pan lids in front of them.
Iā€™m sure itā€™s something in the DNA. Not 100% because we once had a retriever who didnā€™t/wouldnā€™t (retrieve) and was let go as a pet.

Georgesgran Sat 04-Nov-23 23:54:56

Thatā€™s awful Primrose. One dark evening, years ago, a black lab turned up on our doorstep - it had possibly be drawn by the scent of our dogs, kenneled outside. I fed it, then popped it in with a couple of elderly spaniels, where it settled down for the night. Next day, I went down to the local Police Station (open and manned in those days) and a lovely couple came later to collect their dog. Theyā€™d been out walking it when it was frightening by a firework and had just taken off. We estimated it had run a couple of miles and crossed several roads including 4 lanes of fast moving dual carriage way to end up at our house. Lucky dog not to have come a cropper.

Joseann Sun 05-Nov-23 07:14:33

How sad Primrose and 25Avalon.