Gransnet forums

Pets

What different pets have you had in your lifetime ?

(40 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 02-Nov-23 10:42:19

Thinking back, we have always had pets since I was born. Mostly cats and dogs ( 2 rescue cats at the moment ) but also budgies, mice, quails, and a couple of fledgling birds, later released when they recovered. I have never had a horse though my nanna had one on her farm. Mostly when I was young in London people didn’t have horses, sadly !
What pets do you have or have had ?

JaneJudge Thu 02-Nov-23 10:48:49

hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, hens, dogs smile
I usually end up wit a couple of stray humans from work too

Grandmadinosaur Thu 02-Nov-23 10:49:31

Dogs,cats, budgie and tortoise.

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Nov-23 10:52:35

Dogs, cats, hamsters, mice and guinea pigs.

AskAlice Thu 02-Nov-23 11:00:53

Dogs, cats, guinea pigs, budgie, rabbits, chickens, hamster, fish and tortoises, one of whom is still with me after 61 years!

henetha Thu 02-Nov-23 11:03:37

Cats when I was young. Then various guinea pigs etc when my children were young. Then Wiggy for many years. (Wiggy the cockatiel, now in bird heaven).

Grandma70s Thu 02-Nov-23 11:05:00

Cats. I just love cats, and have had one or more until very recently. At one point I had four. I now live in a retirement flat that isn’t suitable for pets.

As a child I had goldfish as well. Does that count? My brother kept white mice in the garage - they were rather smelly.

Aveline Thu 02-Nov-23 11:05:53

Guinea pig first. Then a steady series of cats. All beloved. It's hard to imagine a home without one or two (or more!)

Grandma70s Thu 02-Nov-23 11:07:19

Oh yes, tortoises. There was also a toad who lived in the rockery, and I regarded him as my pet toad.

Georgesgran Thu 02-Nov-23 11:10:59

The usual - mice, hamsters, a Guinea pig (rescued from an odd boy renting next door) African land snails, goldfish, an axoloti, 3 cats and so many dogs, I can’t remember all the names. Nothing now, but I have DD2’s dog when asked.
Never birds, as I don’t like them caged or indoors.

Oldbat1 Thu 02-Nov-23 11:34:40

Since birth my family always rescued waifs and strays. Dogs cats tortoises mice rats guinea pigs parrots chickens goldfish tropical fish. My dad delivered groceries with horse and cart. I always wanted a pet ferret. Love animals more than people if im honest.

Georgesgran Thu 02-Nov-23 11:52:54

Forgot my own pet rabbit - Skipper, an Old English. I had him for years and devastated when he died. I’ve offered to get DGS1 a rabbit, but his parents say no.

maddyone Thu 02-Nov-23 12:06:15

My father bred and showed budgerigars when I was a child. We had a big aviary in the garden. So I had a lot to do with the birds. We also had a cat. Later after my children were born we had rabbits, Netherland Dwarfs, and guinea pigs, also goldfish, and later on cats, always rescues.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Nov-23 12:07:21

Cats, dogs, tortoises, budgie (inherited from my Gran), fish (inside tank and outside pond), hamsters and horses.

merlotgran Thu 02-Nov-23 12:21:59

Cats, dogs, horses and ponies, rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, chickens and a donkey for six months while the owners were abroad.

Witzend Thu 02-Nov-23 12:31:38

Only a tortoise and goldfish when I was a child. Oh, and stick insects, if they count!

Since then, dogs, cats, budgies, and two terrapins inherited from friends who had to leave in a hurry when we were living abroad. One of the dogs and a budgie ditto. And one of the cats was a half dead, terribly emaciated semi-feral kitten found by dds when we were still abroad.

By some miracle she survived, at great expense we flew her home with us - (there was nobody to pass her to, at the time most of our friends were leaving) so she spent 6 months in quarantine - only to get run over 2 months after she came out. 🙁

But as I said to dds, she’d used up all her 9 lives already.

Jaffacake2 Thu 02-Nov-23 12:37:12

We had a household of different animals when I was a child. My brothers and I caught newts and frogs from the streams and brought them back to live in tanks. As they were amphibians they all climbed out and ended up in my grans room ,which used to be out dining room. Absolute chaos !
We had a dog,numerous cats and rabbits . Unfortunately ,unbeknownst to us children,we were given them in a rabbit stew . My mum told us they had ran away and only in latter years did I find out I had eaten Fluffy ! Times were hard.
When I had children we had guinea pigs,hamsters,cats and rabbit ,who was not eaten. I miss having an animal in the house now but was so upset when the last cat died I don't want to go through the sadness again.
Fun memories from childhood

vampirequeen Thu 02-Nov-23 12:44:01

We always had a cat when I was growing up. As an adult I bought small pets for my children but tbh I appear to be the kiss of death for small creatures.

Anthony and Cleopatra, our goldfish, died horrendously. Yorkshire Water had flushed out the pipes but I didn't know. I put them in a small bowl whilst I cleaned their fish tank. As they swam around in the clean water I noticed that they were changing colour and the water seemed to be thickening. The poor fish were disintegrating in the water. I rushed them to the vet and he put them to sleep by putting anaesthetic in the water.

Goldie the hamster seemed to die of old age but actually had gone into hibernation. I carefully wrapped him in newspaper and put him in the dustbin. The next day there was lots of shredded newspaper in the bin but no hamster.

Romeo and Juliet (both female) were our gerbils. They lived happily at first but one morning we awoke to find that Juliet had been mauled to death and half eaten by Romeo. Romeo had gone insane and become a cannibal. She was vicious beyond her size and would thrown herself at the side of the cage to try to get out/get to us. She lived for about another six months going more and more insane. She would attack me every time I tried to clean out her cage or feed her. I would have to trap her so that I could clean or feed her without getting mauled.

Bluey the budgie had a terrible accident. Bluey was a bit odd. He loved to swing round and round on his perch like a gymnast on a high bar. One day, after I'd cleaned the cage, I must have put the perch lower than usual. Bluey started to swing, smashed into the bottom of the cage and broke his neck.

After that we decided that we wouldn't condemn any more animals and stopped buying pets. But one day, a tiny kitten appeared on our doorstep. Well what could I do? I took him in and advertised. No one claimed him so we named him Spike and kept him. He was a joy to have and didn't die horribly. He was my comfort and ally when things got really bad with my ex. My ex would lay down rules about what the cat could and couldn't do. The main was that he couldn't lay on the sofa or even sit on my knee if I was sitting on the sofa. In the evening my ex would go to his room and settle quite early. The cat and I would hear this. Once we were sure my ex had settled, Spike would jump onto the sofa and cuddle up to me. If it sounded as if my ex was moving about, Spike would immediately jump down and go back to his bed. Then when we were sure it was all clear, Spike would come back to the sofa. Sadly, I had to leave Spike behind when I escaped. Oddly (or not) my ex's attitude to Spike changed when I escaped. He'd obviously been using Spike as another way to control me. Spike lived another 5 years or so before dying of old age.

B9exchange Thu 02-Nov-23 12:59:15

I have had mice, a hand reared blackbird, dogs, cats and goldfish. Curently have two very self opinionated Siamese.
JaffaCake you reminded me that when I was 8 I had a tank of Greater Crested Newts (when they were far more plentiful) in my bedroom. They were escape artists, and when we were having the house rewired, my mother heard a startled shriek from one of the electricians. He had taken up a floorboard and found a newt staring up at him from underneath. When I came back from school the tank was empty, they had gone to a local pond, my mother had had enough.

silverlining48 Thu 02-Nov-23 13:02:43

Always cats 🐱 and later on children had 2 goldfish and a hamster which they looked after. As a teenager Dd suddenly developed a cat allergy so no more cats 🐈 sad

MayBee70 Thu 02-Nov-23 13:09:23

As part of my de cluttering I went through the box that contained everything about my pony who was pts with colic many years ago. She was going to be pts that autumn anyway as we couldn't keep condition on her. I just found myself crying my heart out. I’m still feeling very raw even though I rarely think of her these days.

Jaxjacky Thu 02-Nov-23 13:57:54

As a child we had dogs, when my children were young we had a cat (disappeared), rabbit, guinea pigs and a hamster. Then my son when he was older kept a tarantula, gecko’s and bearded dragons, nothing since he left home quite a few years ago.

kittylester Thu 02-Nov-23 14:35:34

Crikey, hope I can remember.

A cat, afghan hound and black lab when I was young. Together with sticklebacks and toddler's from the Brook. A group iof we children were adopted by a hand reared lamb that followed us about all summer.

After DH and I got married, we had cats, an afghan, a beagle, a spaniel, 2 basset hounds and 2 miniature Schnauzers. Along with a gerbil, a rabbit, 2 budgies, 2 tortoises and fish in tanks and in ponds.

Now we have 3 cats.

lil57 Thu 02-Nov-23 14:42:31

Cats, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, stick insects, ferrets, cockatiel, African grey parrots, tortoises and dogs! Dog lovers at heart though, we just have one pet now, a Maltipoo .

Primrose53 Thu 02-Nov-23 15:33:00

Numerous dogs, 1 cat, terrapins, white mice (briefly), horses, a cockatiel, guinea pig, several goldfish.