Gransnet forums

Pets

Fleas

(38 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Oct-23 08:20:04

For the first time in his life (14) as far as I am aware he has fleas.

So I’ve got a product from the vet for the dog, and I’ve a house spray. I’ve washed his bedding and will do so twice a week.

Any other ideas please?

It is driving me mad as he is still scratching.

Iam64 Tue 24-Oct-23 08:24:30

Hoover everything twice a day. Get onto soft furnishings and especially down rage side of any carpets. Fleas can lurk for 3 months without eating 😱
I’m told you can buy some kind of house bomb, light it and it kills fleas. I suspect you need to leave the house during this.

I had a flea infestation 45 years ago. Since then, I’ve treated my dogs with the preventers my vet sells.

Good luck Whitewave 🐕

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Oct-23 08:30:53

Yes I thought of hoovering more often but twice a day😮😮. My hoover probably needs replacing too as it isn’t terribly powerful.

I’ve traded power for lightness, so might need to go for more weight,……. but, but but.

Nightmare!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Oct-23 08:44:48

The house bombs are very effective, you can get them on Amazon.

3dognight Tue 24-Oct-23 08:52:54

Whitewavemark2

Yes I thought of hoovering more often but twice a day😮😮. My hoover probably needs replacing too as it isn’t terribly powerful.

I’ve traded power for lightness, so might need to go for more weight,……. but, but but.

Nightmare!

You need a ‘Shark’!
Light but super suction.
(Other vacuum cleaners are available)

Esmay Tue 24-Oct-23 08:57:32

I used have three sometimes four dogs in the house .
I don't like any pongs so my dogs were used to a good thorough brushing , trimming and tea tree oil in their shampoo .
I have never had a flea problem .

Having written that I've picked up human fleas yet again on the bus !

fiorentina51 Tue 24-Oct-23 08:57:47

When my late aunt went into care, we discovered her cat and house had a flea infestation.
DH and I wore protective clothing and masks, bought powerful flea killer powder and sprays plus smoke bombs and started to do battle with the dreaded flea.
We hoovered everything, carpets, beds, curtains. Every nook and cranny. He bed was badly infested so we sprayed the mattress before taking it to the tip. I was paranoid a stray flea would hitch a lift home with me!
We then used flea powder in every crevice and sprayed everywhere else. Also set off 2 smoke bombs and locked up the house for 24 hours.
Next we hoovered everywhere again and then put 3 shallow plates of water in each room. We could then check after a couple of days how many dead fleas were floating in the water.
After several days and changes of water there were fewer bodies.
Hoovered again and sprayed everywhere and repeated the shallow dish and water test.
Obviously we washed bedding etc where possible.
No sign of fleas.

I suppose we could have got pest control in. It would have saved us a lot of effort but I was on a mission!

sodapop Tue 24-Oct-23 09:04:12

The house bombs are effective Whitewave as well as treating the animals you have. That's one reason why I vacuum every day, hard floors also help. With two dogs and a cat I dread the thought of infestation. Good luck.

aggie Tue 24-Oct-23 09:31:15

Reminds me of my Aunt . She was a nurse before and during the war . She told us of an old man who travelled the roads , he was taken ill and admitted to her ward , they stripped him , burnt his clothes and bathed him , cut his hair and and his beard and washed them too
He was popped into a nice clean bed , protesting all the while ,
The Big Doctor came to examine him and whipped off the bed clothes , jumped back and exclaimed loudly !!
The bed was alive with flees and his head alive with lice
This after all the scrubbing with carbolic
She said it was he heat of the bed hatched them all !!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Oct-23 10:20:29

Just been hoover😄😄. Thanks for all the ideas, I might go for a bomb.p initially.

I don’t think you could call it an infestation at the moment, but I saw a flea on him and he is continually scratching - with luck I’ve caught it before it gets too bad, but I reckon I’m in for the long haul.

Curlywhirly Tue 24-Oct-23 11:18:24

Our dog of nearly 13 years has only had fleas once. Took her to the vet who gave me a treatment for her and a spray for soft furnishings. Used them both and hoovered everything to within an inch of its life and no more fleas. I had obviously caught the problem before it became an infestation.

midgey Tue 24-Oct-23 11:34:54

My daughter had a flea infestation in her house and used a steamer, it worked well.

halfpint1 Tue 24-Oct-23 11:51:58

I too used a hand steamer and a floor steamer for a few days
and it was successfull

Sally97 Tue 24-Oct-23 19:14:37

When our dog got fleas we tried all sorts to get rid.
Finally got a Bravecto tablet from vets for him and a spray called Inderex for the house. (names might mot be quite right). Tablet worked within 20 mins and spray finally cleared the house.
Good luck

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Oct-23 23:21:27

Sally97

When our dog got fleas we tried all sorts to get rid.
Finally got a Bravecto tablet from vets for him and a spray called Inderex for the house. (names might mot be quite right). Tablet worked within 20 mins and spray finally cleared the house.
Good luck

That is exactly what we have done, but dog is still scratching - maybe a reaction? We will see.

I will continue to hoover and steam though.

MayBee70 Wed 25-Oct-23 00:48:30

This is very worrying because I read on Facebook the other day that there were a lot of fleas around. Because Winnie was so distressed when I last gave her a tick/flea spot on treatment I’ve tried to use natural repellents recently and I panic a bit if she starts scratching. She’s going to my partners for a few days so I’m going to spray around with some flea spray I’ve got but it’s very old and I can’t see an expiry date on it. It’s called RIP and it does protect the home for 12 months. I’ve also got diatomaceous earth from when I had the infestation. You spread it around the edges of room where they hide and it kills them by drying them out.One can of RIP covers a 3-4 bedroom house. You need a flea treatment that kills any flea that’s on the dog; some just make the flea infertile if it bites the dog. With my weevil/flour mite infestation I’m convinced that this strange weather we have now is causing problems. Especially with all the talk about bed bugs, too.

MayBee70 Wed 25-Oct-23 00:50:37

Maybe if the flea treatment is making him scratch you could give him an anti histamine but you’d need to check with the vet first….

grandtanteJE65 Thu 26-Oct-23 16:01:19

Wash all your floors in hot soapy water, or in water with salamoniac added.

If the dog is still scratching, it is likely that whatever flea treatment your vet gave you is not working because the fleas have become resistant to it, so ask the vet for a different flea repellant.

Spray okay, if you only have a dog. If you have cats, cage birds et. the sprays are lethal to them and NEVER use the so called flea bombs. They can cause serious allergies both to animals and humans.

Have you bathed the dog before giving him the flea treatment?

Sally97 Thu 26-Oct-23 18:17:54

Yes as grandtanteJE65 says sounds like the flea treatment may not have worked.
That's what happened to vet gave our dog frontline twice and when that didn't work he was given the Bravecto tablet as he hadn't had that before. Worked really quickly.
Hope you get it under control soon.

Smiley4 Thu 26-Oct-23 18:23:46

Our dog got fleas. We tried absolutely everything, for weeks and weeks. But the little devils remained. In the end we got some tablets from the vets. They worked instantly.

Don’t waste your time with stuff from pet shops, and spraying your house. We tried all that and more.

MayBee70 Thu 26-Oct-23 19:02:32

I got RIP from the vets but it can be bought online from Pets Drugs Online. . It lasts for 12 months. Before I go away for a couple of weeks I’m going to spray my house. I haven’t wanted to in case the grandchildren came round. I spray it in the porch in case we bring any ticks in after our walks. I recently thought to myself that my weevil infestation was actually worse than fleas but have decided I need to be proactive about them too. When me and the dog had a tick on us the other year people started posting on Facebook about how many ticks there were so it seems to me that if several people are mentioning it there is an upsurge in them. I used to us a spray called Nuvan Top when I had several cats and a dog years ago but I have a horrible feeling hat it’s carcinogenic ( I don’t want to know, though..it certainly smelled pretty toxic). I remember going to the vets one day and people were queuing up to get flea treatment.

Hels001 Fri 27-Oct-23 12:32:38

My dog had fleas once I used a spot on treatment from the vet on the dog vacuumed round every day and at night used a flea lamp it was brilliant it coaxed the little blighters out and trapped them on a sticky pad. Bought it from amazon its a handy thing to have.

Mikkima Fri 27-Oct-23 12:41:54

My vet told me last week that he's seen an increase in fleas recently. Probably because they're coming in from the cold IMO! He recommended Stronghold or Advantage for our cats and dogs, both of which, along with Indorex spray, we use anyway. He said there are many flea treatments available that no longer work as well as they used to, if at all! I think they just become less effective over time, just like head lice treatments on people.

Delila Fri 27-Oct-23 12:48:13

I don’t know if you can still get flea powder? Years ago when we had two dogs and a cat I used to put flea powder in the hoover bag and hoover regularly, including their bedding. The Jack Russell actually enjoyed me hoovering him, using the suction nozzle!

It seemed to do the trick. When I found it hard to get powder I put a cat-flea collar in the bag instead. I don’t know how well it worked as by then it was just preventative as there were good products to use on the animals themselves.

Delila Fri 27-Oct-23 12:50:44

These days I use Bravecto, a 3-month tablet that protects against fleas and ticks. It’s very effective, and never a flea in the house.