Gransnet forums

Pets

Missing cat

(29 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 08-Oct-23 21:35:04

How long does a cat have to be missing before you give up hope?

We went abroad for a week and left the feeding of two cats (we had a third put to sleep earlier this year) to an old neighbour and my daughter who works from ours part time.
DD thought it strange she didn’t return for food on Monday but that’s happened before and she’s usually back the following day. But she wasn’t back Tuesday either. We returned Wednesday and I felt sure she’d come back when she heard my voice. But she didn’t.
Last confirmed sighting of her was last Saturday afternoon.

We have done everything we can do. Asked neighbours to check, done leaflet drops, put posters up, put familiar smells on the doorstep (cat basket and vacuum cleaner contents) called at different times of day/night.
We don’t have many neighbours, and live on a country road with two aspects of the house overlooking fields, so there’s actually very few places she could be.

I think I can accept she may have been hit and is deceased as she does tend to think she owns the road. But what I can’t bear is to think of her shut away suffering somewhere through lack of food/drink and medication for kidney issues.

Lots of people have said to not give up hope as so many cats reappear as if nothings happened, but with a lack of places for her to be, I can’t remain optimistic.

Do cats really ‘get the hump’ when left alone?! Her and her step brother aren’t the best of friends so maybe she got fed up of him? Especially with us being away. But where would she go for so long???!!!

fancythat Sun 08-Oct-23 22:22:36

I dont think I would give up hope quite yet.
But she has been gone quite a while.

Is it possible she is getting fed at another house?

Mine certainly gets the hump when we go away somewhere.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 08-Oct-23 22:24:29

One of my cats went missing for several weeks years ago. I never found out where she’d been. She just walked in one day as though nothing had happened. So don’t give up hope. They are very contrary creatures and yes, they do get the hump. At this time of year she may be enjoying hunting the mice displaced from the harvested fields. I will keep everything crossed for her quick and safe return.

Jane43 Sun 08-Oct-23 22:31:12

A few years ago our son’s cat went missing for 18 days and just turned up one Sunday morning and it was on Mothers’ Day. They never found out where he had been.

Casdon Sun 08-Oct-23 22:37:26

I know somebody whose cat disappeared for 11 years! She went out to her car one morning, and he was sitting on the bonnet of the car, as if he’d never been away. He walked back into the house, settled down on a chair and that was it, he was home to stay. She never found out where he’d been. They can be very unpredictable.

FindingNemo15 Sun 08-Oct-23 22:39:48

There are often photos and details of lost cats on our local Facebook pages. Often this works are more people are keeping an eye out for them.

Coolgran65 Sun 08-Oct-23 22:45:30

My cat Rosie used to go missing for a few days at a time.
One day as I worked in the garden with Rosie at my side a lady walked past and said.... Timmy what are you doing here we've been looking for you.
Rosie had found herself a second home a couple of streets away.. We had a chat. I asked her to stop feeding Rosie and to ignore her if she appeared. I kept her indoors for a week. This seemed to work. She may have taken herself off for a few hours but I don't know if she went back to that house. If she did, hunger would just have brought her home.
Check with the local Vets.
Don't give up hope.

Deedaa Sun 08-Oct-23 22:45:53

My daughter's cat went missing for 6 weeks. She returned one night having obviously been shut in somewhere as she was like a little skeleton. She recovered from the ordeal and lived to be 17. You seem to be doing all the right things - perhaps repeat the leaflet drop asking people to PLEASE check sheds and garages. Good luck.

Flaxseed Mon 09-Oct-23 09:47:00

She was found deceased by a dog walker this morning. sad

I’m very sad. But I’m also glad we have closure

DamaskRose Mon 09-Oct-23 09:52:33

I’m so sorry Flaxseed, I lost a cat and still don’t know what happened, so at least you can have peace that she isn’t suffering. Small comfort, I know. flowers

Shelflife Mon 09-Oct-23 09:53:23

Flaxseed, so sad to read your news , but as you say you do have closure. That is preferable to worrying that she may be trapped in a shed or garage without food , water or her medication. 💐💐

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-Oct-23 09:53:42

I’m so very sorry Flaxseed. I truly am.

Aveline Mon 09-Oct-23 10:00:04

Oh no. My hopes raised as I read this thread too.
At least you know the sad truth. I'm so sorry.

fancythat Mon 09-Oct-23 12:42:01

Oh no. I thought things might have turned out ok. flowers

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Oct-23 13:45:57

At this time of the year there are plenty of field mice around, so she may have gone off on a hunting spree.

Cats most assuredly do become offended when their owners go away. My mother had one that totally ignored her for twenty-four hours every time she had been away from home overnight or on holiday, my sister had one who disappeared for a few days when she had been away -so don't give up hope yet.

A sadder fact it that some cats seem to know when their life is coming to an end and go away to die in peace. You mentioned medicine for a kidney condition - could you cat just have decided that enough is enough?

On a more cheeful note, I knew someone whose cat disappeared and walked in one day SIX years after his disappearence and wondered aloud why they had put his food bowl away!

So yes, it is too soon to give up hope!!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Oct-23 13:47:32

Sorry, I hadn't read your last post.

I am so sorry - but I hope it helps to know what actually happened to her.

Or will help in a few days' time. Right now nothing helps, does it?

Calendargirl Mon 09-Oct-23 13:52:02

That is sad, but so much better than never knowing.

Our cat went missing a couple of months after we moved to the other side of town. This was 18 years ago, never knew what happened to him. He didn’t return to our old home.

I used to lay awake listening for him, then get up to let him in as I thought I could hear him scratching at the door.

Except he wasn’t……

sad

TwiceAsNice Mon 09-Oct-23 13:58:14

I’m so sorry that is so sad for you. As the worst has happened I hope it helps a little to know .

I had to have my lovely cat put to sleep in August. I’m still grieving for her so understand something of what you’re feeling. Please be kind to yourself

Callistemon21 Mon 09-Oct-23 14:01:49

I'm sorry to hear that Flaxseed

At least you know ☹

Flaxseed Mon 09-Oct-23 14:04:45

Thanks everyone.
I am so glad we now know.

She was apparently wedged into a hedge where she wasn’t visible at all. A passing dog was sniffing which alerted its owner.
DP who bought her home said she must have been hit with some force as she wasn’t just lying in a position that she would have chosen.
Horrid, but probably means she was killed outright.
Poor baby. She loved where we lived (only lived there 15 months) she loved the fields and was always bringing us ‘presents’ in the form of mice.
She had a lovely life so for that reason I can find comfort sad
DP has buried her next to her step brother whom we had to have pts a couple of months ago. flowers
I am at work unfortunately, but am grateful for the distraction.

Calendergirl - the not knowing is awful isn’t it. Sorry you never found your boy

BlueBelle Mon 09-Oct-23 14:06:14

Ahh sad but sounds as if it was natural ! (hopefully)
Was she old ?

I have had two cats in the past disappear and never knew what happened to them it’s horrible I was looking for them for ages and ages

Callistemon21 Mon 09-Oct-23 14:14:36

I'm so sorry.

Drivers must know when they hit an animal, why don't they stop to find out if the owners are nearby?

sharon103 Mon 09-Oct-23 14:19:03

So very sad. They are part of our family aren't they. flowers

Casdon Mon 09-Oct-23 14:20:10

Sorry to hear this Flaxseed, it’s so sad to lose pets, I feel for you.

vintage1950 Mon 09-Oct-23 14:20:57

flowers flaxseed. Very sorry.