Gransnet forums

Pets

Greedy cat.

(28 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Mon 11-Sep-23 12:44:15

How much do you feed your cat?This new boy is about 9 or 10 lbs and I give him a pouch and a small dish of munchies for breakfast.However, every time he sees me going into the kitchen he sits waiting by his dish even soon after his meal. If I go down to the bedroom he follows and nips my ankle then leads me back to the dish.
I don't want to overfeed him but he seems to want fed all the time.

Drina01 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:17:37

I’m afraid cats are like that ! I’ve had them for years and still do. I feed ours probably 3 pouches per day plus treats and (I know I shouldn’t do it ..) but give them cat milk every couple of days especially in hot weather though they do drink water (left down for them) and other cats I’ve had used to drink watered down milk. Cats are different to dogs in their eating patterns and like to leave/see something left in their plate ‘for later’ ! At least mine do. Am also fairly sure one of ours ‘dines out’ occasionally ! Totally different to dogs. They are also carnivores only as apparently it’s not good to treat them as vegetarians as their little bodies need meat. Dogs can be half and half I think.

sodapop Mon 11-Sep-23 13:22:29

Our cat is much the same Kircubbin he would have 50 meals a day if we let him.
We have just had to harden our hearts and not give in to him as he is overweight. We do give him small meals more frequently to try and help. He has been wormed and vet checked so he is just a greedy cat I think.

MiniMoon Mon 11-Sep-23 13:23:58

Our boy has 3 pouches per day as recommended on the box. I don't know how much he weighs as we took him in when he kept running away from DD's house.

eazybee Mon 11-Sep-23 13:51:33

My two cats are like this; they are 18 years old, and follow me into the kitchen demanding food all the time, to the extent that I have to work upstairs with the door closed. The food I have put down for them is left mostly untouched, and I am throwing so much away in this hot weather. They have been wormed, so I think it is old age,and greed.

annsixty Mon 11-Sep-23 13:54:18

My 4 year old small cat is just the same.
2/3pouches a day plus a bowl of biscuits which she picks at when nothing else is forthcoming.
She is not overweight but a “good weight” according to the vet who did say she didn’t want to see her any heavier.
They are just greedy gannets really.

Shelflife Mon 11-Sep-23 14:11:41

My cat only has one pouch each day and grazes on biscuits now and again.
Give her the wet meat at night - less risk of flies landing!! She has cat biscuits in the morning, but a modest amount as she always leaves some in her bowl , I then end up throwing away what she has left - if it is left in the bowl for any length of time she refuses to eat them! If her bowl is empty and she is hungry she comes to find me and leads me to her bowl , I then give her more biscuits ( but not much!) My vet weighs her at vaccination time and says she is the correct weight, her weight does not fluctuate.

kircubbin2000 Mon 11-Sep-23 14:51:06

They are strange creatures aren't they. I was hoping for a cuddly companion but as soon as he is fed he disappears over the back fence and isn't seen for hours.

dogsmother Mon 11-Sep-23 14:53:53

Worms?

Jane43 Mon 11-Sep-23 14:58:31

My son’s cat is the opposite, she has stopped eating and they are having to entice her to eat by giving her chicken and tuna. They have taken her to the vet and after blood tests there is nothing obviously wrong. She is 14 so it could be old age.

Aveline Mon 11-Sep-23 14:58:39

Our cats are large Maine Coons. Their food bowl is always topped up with Royal Canin cat food so they never have set 'meals'. Large bowl of water is refreshed often. One cat loves natural yoghurt so has a little each day and, naturally, they both love Dreamies (heroin for cats?!). Thus they self regulate and are never hungry or overweight.

Callistemon21 Mon 11-Sep-23 15:26:59

kircubbin2000

They are strange creatures aren't they. I was hoping for a cuddly companion but as soon as he is fed he disappears over the back fence and isn't seen for hours.

He's probably going round all the neighbours, mewing pathetically as if he's hungry.

There are always reports of cats doing that on our local FB page, along with pictures of missing cats.

Hithere Mon 11-Sep-23 16:02:45

Cats are like people, so many different personalities.

You may still get a velcro cat - this one seems to be an adventurer

Visgir1 Mon 11-Sep-23 16:51:46

Both mine in hot weather eat much less.
Only give them dry food in the summer.
One of my cat almost turns feral in the summer, eats about once a day , but she's partial to the odd half a mouse, just like the one I found on the lawn yesterday!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-Sep-23 17:52:12

A lot of cats would eat all day if we let them.

I give mine a bowl of dried food they can snack on all day, and dinner of one or two pouches of cat food in the evening.

The brand I use states that one pouch is sufficient for an adult cat, so two pouches equates one pouch each, or so I hoped.

It has transpired that the queenie cat eats the lion's share, so sometimes I give her brother his dinner before she deigns to come in . Only sometimes, as I have learned that the cat across the street is not too happy with the food he is given, and having befriended Tigger (my bold laddie) he has invited him in to clear his plate of unwanted food, before his human comes home from work.

She cottoned on to this when she found my Tigger curled up asleep in her armchair when she came in from work one day.

HowVeryDareYou2 Tue 12-Sep-23 13:53:16

One pouch of food a day isn't much. I had cats for 40-odd years until last year, and I always left dry food down, 24/7, with a bowl of water. My cats used to have 3 pouches daily, as well. They were fed at certain times of the day, and they got used to that so never bothered me for food - they never used to hunt, either. About 3 times a week, I'd replace one or 2 of the pouches with tinned fish (oil or water, never brine), fresh (cooked) chicken or raw minced beef

Gillycats Tue 12-Sep-23 15:30:19

I’m sure you probably have taken him to the vet? Just wondered if they’d eliminated diabetes. He’s probably just a greedy boy!

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Sep-23 15:43:13

Does cat food not come in tins any more?

All that plastic!

Hithere Tue 12-Sep-23 15:58:24

Yes, it does come in cans too!

Chardy Tue 12-Sep-23 19:00:35

I think there are recommendations on the side of the most packs as to how much various weights of cat should be fed. I don't leave food out for "grazing" during the day, however DD who has the sisters of my 2 does, and there's no noticeable difference in the weights of the cats. DDIL's cats have access 24 /7 too.

grandmalynn Thu 30-Nov-23 11:14:11

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Esmay Thu 30-Nov-23 11:19:03

I usually find dogs greedy and cats picky .
Like us - they vary !

One of my cats bit through my mother's nail when getting her treat .
When cats are greedy -
I wonder about worms and worm them .

grandmalynn Thu 30-Nov-23 11:21:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Esmay Thu 30-Nov-23 11:28:20

My mother had to have her nail removed in A and E .
Even with antibiotics -she had a raging infection .
One of my dogs bit her as well . She offered her a treat then nervously withdrew her fingers so the dog misjudged taking it .
She was never a fan of having pets and the situation became far worse !

grandmalynn Thu 30-Nov-23 11:33:57