Gransnet forums

Pets

My cat went over the Rainbow Bridge ............

(31 Posts)
swampy1961 Tue 01-Aug-23 11:43:56

.............. on Sunday. She was over 20 years old and we miss her so much.
I took her to the vet on Friday as she was struggling with walking but because she was not being so active we could see her claws were very long and she was walking on the sides of her feet causing her pain and the odd yowl showed she wasn't comfortable.
The vet checked her over and clipped her claws, he could feel a suspicious lump in her abdomen and said he didn't know if she was in pain from her joints or the lump but as she was eating and drinking well prescribed her pain relief twice daily which I could increase to three times daily if I felt she needed it and gave enough her medicine for a month and we were to keep a close eye on her. He was in agreement with me that she be kept comfortable and pain relief would help.
After the first dose took effect, you could certainly see an improvement and she was padding around but giving us a giggle because the drugs made her walk sideways. She was eating and drinking well and enjoying nibbling at fresh chicken. We spent our time fussing and loving her thinking we had plenty more time with her with the help of pain relief.
On Sunday morning, we heard a yelp and her front foot was curled over and even if you righted it she was in pain. My husband was cuddling her as I rang the vet and then took her straight in.
Our precious cat was put to sleep and it was all so very peaceful and she now lies under the bushes in one of her favourite spots in the garden and we are missing her so much.
DH speaks to her when he goes out to feed the fish and the house is full of little reminders of her. Nose smudges on windows, cat fur on clothes, I had to fill her litter corner with GCs toys because the gap was so poignant. I want the tears to stop and for my cat to saunter back in jump up on the arm of my chair - the house seems so empty without her.

Hithere Tue 01-Aug-23 11:47:44

So very sorry for your loss

LadyGracie Tue 01-Aug-23 11:51:58

It is devastating to lose a pet that has been part of your family so long.
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Aveline Tue 01-Aug-23 11:52:49

Aw swampy1961 you did your very best for her. It was just her time to go. That doesn't help the void that our beloved pets leave behind them. Yes. Mourn her. She's worth it. thanks

Blondiescot Tue 01-Aug-23 11:56:58

I'm very sorry for your loss. They really do take a piece of our hearts with them when they leave us.

Shelflife Tue 01-Aug-23 11:59:10

Thinking of you , your lovely cat had the best life with you. Our rescue cat is 4 years old , been with us for three years. Like your precious cat our also jumps on the arm of my chair when I sit down - she just likes to be near. It is a very difficult time ! πŸ’

Athrawes Tue 01-Aug-23 12:02:10

It's so very sad when we lose our furry friend. Our 2 cats were put to sleep recently. They were 19 and were on medication for a while but it was obvious they were not well. I cried buckets - and still 'see' them in their favourite haunt ie under the hall radiator. I feel for you swampy1961

Joseann Tue 01-Aug-23 12:04:25

Very sorry, flowers.

Sparklefizz Tue 01-Aug-23 12:05:55

So sorry to hear about your lovely cat, Swampy. All pet-lovers can empathise. They leave such a big void when they go and we grieve because they are family members.

Big hug for you. flowers

vintage1950 Tue 01-Aug-23 12:09:31

How dreadfully sad. I've had to have 3 cats put to sleep, it was awful every time. It felt like a betrayal even though their lives were getting unbearable. Poor old moggie, and poor you. flowers

B9exchange Tue 01-Aug-23 12:12:47

So sorry to hear you have lost her. They leave such a hole, it is a genuine bereavement.

I just had a text from DD to say that they have lost one of their two rescue cats, which they had had for 20 years, and obviously the young GC are very upset. At least she was found dead in the morning, so no need for a difficult decision. However DD is going through a mental health crisis, this did not help.

But I didn't mean to take over your thread Swampy and I do want you to know how much I sympathise.

Smileless2012 Tue 01-Aug-23 12:15:46

Oh it's heart breaking isn't it Swampy and it really is losing a member of the family. I'm s sorry you've lost her flowers

BeverleyJB Tue 01-Aug-23 12:16:57

So very sad Swampy. Our cats give us so much joy and demand so little in return.
Of course you are both missing her dreadfully, but you can know that you gave her the best life and also made sure that you gave her the best end too. Not all cats are so lucky to have such a loving home with such caring humans.
Take care flowers

VB000 Tue 01-Aug-23 12:50:39

It's heartbreaking, so sorry to hear this... she had a lovely long life with you thanks

SueDonim Tue 01-Aug-23 12:57:07

I recognise all you say only too well, Swampy. Cry your tears, your pet was a special someone in your heart. flowers

sodapop Tue 01-Aug-23 13:08:40

So very sorry Swampy you must be devastated after having her in your life for so long. You did the last loving thing you could for her. flowers

grandtanteJE65 Tue 01-Aug-23 13:11:46

We have all been through this and it is so hard.

Like all grief it has to run its course, and the pain will lessen.

You did what you could and what you ought to - cold comfort now, but comfort all the same.

Rosalyn69 Tue 01-Aug-23 14:17:56

It’s heartbreaking. I feel your loss. I’ve not been without a puss since before I was married. Loss is never easy.
hugs

swampy1961 Wed 02-Aug-23 11:10:38

Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to reply.
It is never easy for any of us to lose a pet and although we still miss her and have the odd tearful session, she isn't in pain now.
We have found pictures on our phones and social accounts and put them into an album dedicated to her.
Memories of some of the daft things she got up to - have enlightened a sad time for us with a smile. smile

Grannmarie Wed 02-Aug-23 11:22:42

Swampy, I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your beloved cat. She was part of your family for 20 years so of course you are bereft. I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you, and you did her the final kindness so that she would not suffer. Your memorial album is a nice idea, take comfort from your happy memories.

We've just lost our 12 year old Granddog, his family are just heartbroken, the grandchildren are taking it hard.
When beloved pets depart they leave a whole in your heart.πŸ•πŸˆβ€β¬› πŸ’” 🌈

Aveline Wed 02-Aug-23 11:49:28

Good idea about the photos. We have pics of all our old cats and often enjoy looking at them and talking about them to the DGSs who love to do that.

Visgir1 Wed 02-Aug-23 12:36:08

So sorry to hear this.🌹

I too lost a dear Cat who was just a few weeks from her 20th birthday.

Big permanent paw prints will always be in your heart.

shoppinggirl Wed 02-Aug-23 12:41:58

flowers So sad for you. It's the loss of a family member. Sending you hugs x

Katek Wed 02-Aug-23 13:03:10

So sorry to hear about your much loved cat swampy. We lost our beautiful Claudia 6 weeks ago so I know how you're feeling. Claudia was 14 with stage 4 CKD but it was still so very hard to make that final decision. Give yourself time to grieve, it's important.

3nanny6 Wed 02-Aug-23 14:07:17

Condolences to you Swampy for the loss of your cat, what a good age she lived to and you had 20 years of having her in your life although as you said in your post you still are waiting for her to saunter in and jump onto the arm of the chair.
The grieving stage takes us all sometime to get through although some people who are not big pet lovers can not understand those sad feelings work through your grief at your own pace and in your own time.