Gransnet forums

Pets

Why do dog owners think it’s acceptable for their wet dogs to jump at people ?

(112 Posts)
Awesomegranny Sun 17-Jul-22 18:23:51

I walk a lot near lakes and a local river, lots of people walk their dogs and let them jump in the water. Why is it if I’m passing by it’s perfectly acceptable to dog owners to let their wet dogs jump at me. Yesterday I was out walking wearing white shorts , which were brown by the time I got home, no word of apology from any of the owners! I have started carrying a walking stick with me to try and keep the dogs down, I’m getting really annoyed, not just me another couple I saw walking had exactly the same complaint. So come on owners why do you let your dogs jump?

62Granny Mon 18-Jul-22 16:27:00

Chewbacca

I was in a garden centre yesterday and a couple were in there with their large dog. As they approached the till area, the dig suddenly stopped, squatted and s**t on the carpeted floor. They calmly waited until it had finished and then walked out, leaving the stinking mess for the staff to clean up. Poor staff.

I think it I had worked there I would have told them to clean up their dogs need before leaving the store, that is totally unacceptable as are most of the other stories on here. We walk along our seafront promenade, there is often dog poo that hasn't been picked up , even though there are plenty of doggy poo bins all along the front to put it in? hubby is in a wheelchair and it can be an obstacle course around it.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Jul-22 16:31:00

I think I'd arrange a home delivery for that couple.
Send it back from whence it came!

Redrobin51 Mon 18-Jul-22 16:41:44

Makes me mad as a responsible dog owner that inconsiderate dog owners g8ve responsible people a bad name. We don't have water by us but our rescue dog has been trained to come away from the path onto the grass at the side if pedestrians need to walk by. If they are incapable of training or can't be bothered to do it why don't they put the dog on a lead. Doesn't matter if the dog is wet or dry not everyone is a dog lover, grhh.

Blondiescot Mon 18-Jul-22 16:47:51

Kate1949

It's not hatred. I think guide dogs, assistance dogs, police dogs etc are wonderful.
It's the attitude of 'You're not a nice person if you don't like dogs' that gets to me.

I'm not about to apologise for feeling that way. If people don't like dogs, they're not welcome in my house - simple. Our dog is as much a member of the family as any other. And likewise, if a dog - or indeed any animal - takes a dislike to a particular person, then that raises immediate red flags to me. Animals know. They just know. We could all learn a lot of lessons from them.

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Jul-22 16:49:16

Kate1949 and Smileless
When I was young, probably only about 10 or 11, I used to take a neighbour's Pekingnese for a walk; we'd go off together over the fields and he was very well-behaved. Although those teeth looked threatening, he was a real sweetie and I loved him because we didn't have a dog.

I hesitate to post his name now but it was the 1950s (he was called Chinky).

Kate1949 Mon 18-Jul-22 16:50:54

That's ok Blondiescot. I know I'm a good, decent person whether a dog agrees or not.

Blossoming Mon 18-Jul-22 17:07:03

Kate1949 absolutely this. I wouldn’t want to visit such a house anyway.

Blondiescot Mon 18-Jul-22 18:31:25

Kate1949

That's ok Blondiescot. I know I'm a good, decent person whether a dog agrees or not.

You keep telling yourself that. I'll keep putting my trust in my dog.

Grannynannywanny Mon 18-Jul-22 19:03:27

I'm not about to apologise for feeling that way. If people don't like dogs, they're not welcome in my house - simple. Our dog is as much a member of the family as any other. And likewise, if a dog - or indeed any animal - takes a dislike to a particular person, then that raises immediate red flags to me. Animals know. They just know. We could all learn a lot of lessons from them

Blondiescot are you saying that if your dog growled or attacked a visitor to your home or pounced on someone in the park you would believe it had happened because the dog sensed they weren’t a nice person so therefore not the dog’s fault?

Awesomegranny Tue 19-Jul-22 11:28:01

I am overwhelmed by people thinking along the same lines as me. Does anyone challenge the owners when their dogs have jumped up, an apology I believe should be given? All owners seem to do is pathetically call their dogs or just walk on by ignoring me. I now swing a walking stick in front of me, so hopefully that will help though I did feel awful the other day went it accidentally hit a dog on the nose and it yelped, owners of course said nothing!

Iam64 Tue 19-Jul-22 13:25:41

I’m increasingly fed up with irresponsible owners with no dog manners. Out 7am, young teenager hugely excited to be heading for the river. Stop at the side of the bridge, sit my dog, ‘watch me’ command to avoid the 2 off lead equally big labs coming over the bridge. Yep, both all over my dog, owner walks past doing nothing. My dog hits his limits and snarls barks, in a common then if yiu want a fight mode. Man eventually calls his dogs but my youngster had another negative on lead experience