Gransnet forums

Pets

Why do dog owners think it’s acceptable for their wet dogs to jump at people ?

(112 Posts)
Awesomegranny Sun 17-Jul-22 18:23:51

I walk a lot near lakes and a local river, lots of people walk their dogs and let them jump in the water. Why is it if I’m passing by it’s perfectly acceptable to dog owners to let their wet dogs jump at me. Yesterday I was out walking wearing white shorts , which were brown by the time I got home, no word of apology from any of the owners! I have started carrying a walking stick with me to try and keep the dogs down, I’m getting really annoyed, not just me another couple I saw walking had exactly the same complaint. So come on owners why do you let your dogs jump?

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:57:54

Skydancer

I just don’t get why anyone wants a dog at all. To have one in a house is disgusting. They descend from wolves, wild creatures. Germ-ridden and slobbering- I don’t even want to touch one.

Humans are descended from apes, wild creatures.
People can be germ-ridden and some slobber too (or worse).
There are some I wouldn't want to touch either.

welbeck Sun 17-Jul-22 22:22:19

yes but that's the difference; if a human came up to me and touched me i would have a course of action in law.
i don't want to be touched or impeded or put in fear or flight mode by any creature.
if i am behaving responsibly i don't see why i should have to endure these incursions upon my personal space or peace of mind.
there should be dog licences with mandatory collars displaying a conspicuous ID number.
anyone without one should be impounded.
and hefty fine for reclaiming. once only.
further offence to mean re-homing.

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Jul-22 22:24:03

I think bringing back dog licences would be a good idea.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Jul-22 22:38:31

I don’t want to have dogs wandering around the shop
I work in I don’t want to eat in a room with dogs shaking their hairs into the air or drooling near my cake and coffee
I don’t want them everywhere slobbering and peeing
I like most dogs but LEAVE them at home they aren’t really happy walking round hot shops or sitting in cafes and restaurants
My grandson was like your grandaughter Callistemon knocked down by a over enthusiastic boxer dog who stood over him when he was 2/3 He was scared of dogs all through his childhood and passed that fear onto his younger sister Hes sort of ok now as a young adult but is still not over fond of dogs and I doubt he’ll ever own one

MayBee70 Sun 17-Jul-22 22:42:11

SunshineSally

I have a dog - a small excitable one that loves people and does a meerkat impression when he sees someone (anyone) come near! However, he is kept on a short lead in public busy places and a long lead when there is more space. Having suffered a dog attack by a large mastiff mix dog when our dog was a puppy, I hate it when loose dogs coming running up to me or my dog. I was attacked and had my ear bitten and multiple bruises and scratches as I was trying to protect my dog. The other dog knocked me over and I was lying on top of my dog trying to protect him whilst screaming for help. I was absolutely terrified. Sorry I’ve strayed from the OP thread. Anyway I just wanted to say that I never take it for granted that everyone likes dogs and wouldn’t dream of letting him jump up at anyone. In fact I would be mortified if he damaged someone’s clothing and would offer to pay. I also wouldn’t dream of not cleaning up after my dog. Just wanted to put it out there that we’re not all selfish dog owners ?

DH had to protect our dog when a Staffie attacked her and he worries even more than I do when a dog runs up to us. I can’t imagine how awful it must have been for you. I’ve thrown myself over my dog to protect her when a terrier went for her. It does detract from the pleasure we get from her. I’m always pleasantly surprised when fellow dog owners put their dogs on a lead when they see ours or apologise if they do run up to us. I just read about a woman who was bitten on the arm at a local supermarket by one of those mastiff or bull type dogs that seem to be in the news these days. She was very badly hurt.

Kate1949 Sun 17-Jul-22 23:16:14

A woman this week was killed and her husband is in hospital after being attacked by one of those huge American whatever they are.

henetha Sun 17-Jul-22 23:23:03

I know many people love their dogs and I agree most dogs are great.
But I also agree about what a nuisance they can be . It's the owners , not the dogs fault of course, but I hate dogs jumping up at me whether dry or wet. It's really annoying! And I detest them being allowed to run free and chase sheep on the moors etc .
Dogs should be kept under control.

Kate1949 Sun 17-Jul-22 23:31:54

I am terrified of them. All of them.

eazybee Mon 18-Jul-22 07:38:48

In a group of friends, five have dogs and only one is able to control hers. The other four have no concern for the effect of their dogs' bad behaviour on other people, regarding it as their fault because they wear the wrong coat, wrong hat, are running/standing still/don't realise dogs go into parks for exercise and humans should keep out of the way. Incidentally, the now adult children of the four are all equally difficult.

Iam64 Mon 18-Jul-22 07:58:45

Kate1949, the dog in the latest horrific human killed by dog incident was an KL bully. The owners had two of these huge dogs. They aren’t on the ‘banned dogs’ list, a list that’s not fit for purpose. These XL bullies tend to be status dogs. It’s illegal in the UK to cut their ears but a number of breeders do this.
I don’t want to prejudge but I read the neighbours saying they’d no idea the couple had any dogs.
Dogs need and thrive on routines. Teaching them to walk on lead, to ignore other dogs and people is essential. They’re often impulsive self rewarders. It’s the owners job to help them behave.
I know it’s impossible to impose but I wish every dog owner would commit to kennel club good citizen training

DillytheGardener Mon 18-Jul-22 08:09:57

I’m another one driven nuts by this. I tell other owners off at the park constantly for dogs that have no recall rushing me and rushing my dogs, to be answered with the infuriating “ my dog is friendly”. Idiots. If you can’t train your dog basic commands and manners, like sit, heel, ‘leave it’, and recall, then you shouldn’t own a dog, period.

H1954 Mon 18-Jul-22 08:10:10

I'm not a dog lover but I do understand why others keeep dogs, their choice. I totally sympathise with the OP and others who've had clothing and personal items damaged by dogs.

Is it possible to take legal action against the owners in situations like this? I do recall, some years ago, a neighbours dog was of leash, ran into the road causing an oncoming car to swerve to miss is and the car hit a wall. No one was hurt but the driver did take legal action against the dog owner. I realise the circumstances are a little different BUT the dogs are causing damage to property.

H1954 Mon 18-Jul-22 08:12:35

One of our neighbours actually picks her ratty looking Yorkshire terrier up and lunges it into people's faces so he can 'give them a kiss' ........... right after its been licking its own arse! NO THANKS!

Iam64 Mon 18-Jul-22 08:16:50

DillytheGardener

I’m another one driven nuts by this. I tell other owners off at the park constantly for dogs that have no recall rushing me and rushing my dogs, to be answered with the infuriating “ my dog is friendly”. Idiots. If you can’t train your dog basic commands and manners, like sit, heel, ‘leave it’, and recall, then you shouldn’t own a dog, period.

We could start a campaign?. I’m so fed up of the ‘he’s only saying hello, he’s friendly - or worse, they’re friendly ‘. as 5 dogs race up to my on lead young lab.
5 dachshunds recently. In response to they’re friendly I said so I’d mine but he’s on a lead in training. If he stands on one of yours, he could seriously injure their long backs because he weighs 30kg

Whitewavemark2 Mon 18-Jul-22 08:47:18

We have quite a dog walking community in our popular local park. Lots of shade and rambling walks.

There is one new owner with a golden lab - lovely dog but totally out of control.

Over the days and weeks the owner has gradually learned that her dogs behaviour is unacceptable from all other dog walkers, who have not been reticent to voice their opinion, and she has finally got the message and is now trying to train and control the lab.

Long job I fancy! But very necessary.

I think Labs are the teenagers of the doggy world?

Oldnproud Mon 18-Jul-22 08:56:44

I agree with everything that has been said.

There are so many dogs now, that even if it's only a minority that are a nuisance when off the lead (and some despite being on a lead), it's still a significant number.

I live in the countryside and walk a lot, so I cross paths with a lot of dogs, and I am not exaggerating when I say that as many as half of those that are unrestrained will race up to me fast enough for that in itself to be frightening ( though I'm not dog-phobic), and will try to make some kind of contact with me, whether it is jumping up, trying to lick my hand, wiping a slobbering mouth or nose on some part of my clothing, or running around me barking.

And we have had our belongings peed on by dogs on beaches. That's never acceptable, wherever it happens.

Something does need to be done. This situation is out of control, and there needs to be some easy legal way of holding irresponsible owners to account, including making them pay for any costs incurred by their animals, whether it is damage to clothing, or vets bills if they have harmed another animal.

This never seemed to be a problem when I was a child. Even the many dogs that were just turfed out of the house to take themselves for a walk never seemed to behave in this way. I don't remember ever being worried when a loose dog approached back then.
It seems that dogs were better behaved before they became so spoilt and pampered, when they were simply allowed to be dogs, rather than pretend children!

yggdrasil Mon 18-Jul-22 09:03:40

When I was little, I was knocked down and pushed around by a couple of boxers owned by a friends family. OK I was on their drive, but I have never liked dogs since. Even though I was assured 'they were only being friendly'

On the other hand, when my grandson was only a toddler, a little dog about the same 'dog' age jumped when she saw him and they both fell over. Skadi got a telling off, but it was funny really as that were both as surprised as each other. She was well trained through her life. Neither took any harm from the encounter.

Shelflife Mon 18-Jul-22 09:16:36

I agree completely with all that has been said . We don't have a dog but I do like dogs. However I do notice that many dogs are not properly trained. We had dogs as children, they have were on traditional leads and understood the command ' heel' Most dogs now are on those extendable leads so are really " running free" of course dogs need the freedom to run free in appropriate places , I recognize that. Many dog owners are responsible but those that are'nt must understand that some people are terrified of their adorable pet and people do not want dogs leaping up at then! They supposedly love their dog but other people don't!!! Surely am well trained dog is a secure and happy dog ! and don't get me on poo bags hanging on trees and bushes - how dare they!?

Maya1 Mon 18-Jul-22 09:25:07

We have an old BC, he has arthritis and other ailments. Always kept on lead except in the dog park.
He is a rescue, mistreated by his previous owners, hit and locked in a room. It is totally the idiotic owners who are to blame not the dogs.
Our dog has never jumped up at anyone. He is very well behaved. Yet the number of other dog owners who let their dogs run up to him happens nearly every day. He doesn't like dogs unless he knows them and may growl, those irresponsible owners then get abusive with me, yet Finn is on a lead.
Also l might add, parents with young children also let them run up to him, which l also don't like. The parents are not paying attention, usually on their phones.

nandad Mon 18-Jul-22 09:26:45

A neighbour, (middle aged, middle class) allowed his dog to cross our front lawn and pee on a plant under our window. There is a large plot of public land adjacent to our house and there was no reason for his dog to be allowed onto our lawn. When I told him off, his response was that dogs are wild animals and can go where they want! My reply was, owners of dogs allowed to trespass on private property are not able to control their dog and can expect to be reported to the dog warden. He kept his dog on a short lead after that.

Maya1 Mon 18-Jul-22 09:27:58

Oh Shelflife, those extendable leads are the bane of my life. I absolutely hate them.

Joseanne Mon 18-Jul-22 09:33:19

I think Labs are the teenagers of the doggy world?
Add to that golden retrievers! I have a very bouncy young boy who is testing my training skills. It's not that he jumps up so much but he bulldozes and doesn't apply brakes. It is all good natured but I do appreciate it is not really acceptable with those he doesn't even know. I'll crack on with the commands because it is important.

Maya1 Mon 18-Jul-22 09:41:00

Golden retrievers are such loving dogs. Even grumpy Finn has fallen for one. His best friend is one called Oscar and has the most gentle, kind soul.

Blossoming Mon 18-Jul-22 10:05:12

I don’t like any dog jumping up at me. My mobility is poor, my balance is dreadful and I could easily be seriously injured by these so-called ”friendly” dogs. Their owners should have them under control and train them not to jump up at people.

Iam64 Mon 18-Jul-22 10:15:10

I’ve had lab crosses but my teenager is my first lab. I’m glad he isn’t my first dog. My trainer friend also breeds and shows labs. She reassures me he’s a typical adolescent male, he’ll be excellent by age 4 ????.
We were practicing impulse control in our group last week. It involved walking to a row of hoops, sit, wait, through at each hoop. My boy was so excited by this new game, he took off at speed, taking every hoop out as he went. By third try, he was perfect.
Imagine if I let him off lead in areas where people are walking, children playing.