Gransnet forums

Pets

To spay or not to spay?

(109 Posts)
Mollygo Tue 07-Jun-22 18:37:51

This has probably been asked before but before I make a decision, would you have your dog spayed or not? We’ve no intention of breeding from her

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 15:32:46

Well castrated males are less likely to suffer from testicular or prostate diseases. Many intact male dogs show undesirable hormone-related behaviours such as inappropriate mounting, and roaming, which can be dangerous if they wander near roads or far from home in search of a female.

AussieNanna Sat 18-Jun-22 23:26:46

silversand12

I would spay a bitch, yes - but I would prefer to wait until 2 years old, depending on size of dog, and DEFINITELY not before first season - they need those hormones to develop properly.

(I wouldn't, however, castrate a dog unless there was medical need)

that isnt the recomendation here in Australia - and of course leaving it until after a season or 2 years old risks an unwanted pregnancy

My dogs were desexed at 4 - 6 months and developed properly.
as did all the other dogs I know - which is many, 6 months being recomended age here

Ive always had females - but if I had a male they would definitely be castrated too

Hetty58 Sat 18-Jun-22 23:59:16

Why not just accept that, it is indeed, a cultural choice? As the removal of gonads (for no medical reason) is considered mutilation in Northern European countries (did anyone read my link?) there is no other logical explanation. Why not just lop off the ears and tail too?

AussieNanna Sun 19-Jun-22 00:07:26

lopping off the ears and tail is a strawman argument - ie arguing against an irelevant extreme that nobody has suggested.

Maybe Northern European countries do not have problems of unwanted litters and puppies and dogs being euthanised because they have no homes
Or maybe their cultural view on this is not actually right.

I dont think the RSPCA is making their recomendations based on culture though.

Iam64 Mon 20-Jun-22 09:12:24

Ears and tails are totally different
Why not accept thst the majority of loving responsible owners make their own decisions based on what’s right for their pet

chesteranna Wed 29-Jun-22 04:50:08

TO SPRAY! It's always true

drglencherry Mon 05-Feb-24 11:54:37

While in-home pet euthanasia is a service provided to pet owners facing end-of-life decisions for their beloved animals, it's important to clarify that spaying is a routine veterinary procedure unrelated to chicago in home pet euthanasia. Spaying, or ovariohysterectomy in female dogs, involves the removal of the ovaries and uterus to prevent reproduction.

If you're considering in-home pet euthanasia for your dog, it's essential to approach the decision with care and compassion. Here are some general steps:

Consult with a Veterinarian:
Schedule a consultation with a local veterinarian in Chicago to discuss your dog's health condition. Veterinarians can provide guidance on end-of-life decisions and help you understand the options available.

Inquire About In-Home Euthanasia:
Ask the veterinarian about in-home euthanasia services. In-home euthanasia allows your dog to be in a familiar and comfortable environment, reducing stress during their final moments.

Bluefeathet Mon 05-Feb-24 18:17:06

Spay, but not until the age of 18 months/two years.
Delaying protects against some cancers, while then protecting them from others by spaying in the first place.