Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat poo

(34 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 07-May-14 12:04:04

I suspect I'm not going to win many cat friends with this post, but I am angry angry!
The Wonderful Man is poorly so I've taken over a few of his regular chores, one of which is mowing the front lawn. Now this is not a huge area, but I had to remove SEVEN lots of cat poo before starting. SEVEN!!!!!
An acquaintance of mine has a cat and always expresses surprise when I rant about cat poo because, of course, she never has cat poo in her garden, but nor does her cat have a litter tray. So, cat lovers - do you encourage the use of litter trays or are you culpable in perpetuating the cat poo problem?

GadaboutGran Wed 07-May-14 12:14:26

I just wish they did them for dogs too.

MiceElf Wed 07-May-14 12:15:19

GA, put orange peel down, cats and foxes hate it.

Culag Wed 07-May-14 12:17:18

I removed two plants from my garden yesterday, which were duplicated elsewhere, so I could plant something new. I've just been into the garden and discovered two heaps left by my neighbour's cats neatly in the gaps! I plant the garden very thickly because it's small and to deter the cats, but they find the smallest gaps. I also have no birds.

Grr! angry

POGS Wed 07-May-14 12:21:24

It's not just the cat poo, it's the potential harm in the poo also.

Big problem for us, surrounded by cats.

gillybob Wed 07-May-14 12:23:00

I know exactly what you mean grannyactivist and Culag. My neighbours have a huge fluffy thing that uses my garden as a toilet. I know its that cat as I have caught it many times! Why is it that some cat owners train them to use litter trays and others think its perfectly fine for them to sh*t all over other peoples gardens? I have grandchildren playing in my garden and I strongly object to having to clear up before they can play. angry

sunseeker Wed 07-May-14 13:17:46

I am a cat lover but can't understand people who won't train their cat to use a litter tray - perhaps they don't like the idea of cleaning it! (Yes it is possible to train a cat - its just harder than training a dog!) I no longer have a cat but when we did it was trained to either use the litter tray or a particular part of our garden.

If you are troubled by cats in your garden, keep a garden hose or bucket of water handy and give it a soaking every time it comes into the garden - it will soon start to avoid it, it is effective and doesn't harm the cat.

Grannyknot Wed 07-May-14 13:35:52

I have written on the forums before that I won't eat vegetables from certain parts of our veg garden because of the cats poohing there. Someone said "bit over the top" but for me it's a mental thing. I hate cat pooh.

My daughter has a darling cat and it complains and lets her know when it feels her litter tray needs attention smile

Cagsy Wed 07-May-14 13:54:31

We have a litter tray and make sure it's regularly changed and for years our cat used it, I think exclusively. Then suddenly a few years ago I found him going all over the garden and I really have no idea why.
I've tried different types of litter and he does use the tray again now but also goes in the garden. I really, really hope he doesn't go in neighbours gardens.

ellalou Wed 07-May-14 14:36:23

We had this problem in our old house, the cat lived in the house across from us, but always came and did it's business under my kitchen window, we asked our local vet for advice and he told us that cats tend to do this, use other peoples gardens rather than their own, we tried everything, nothing worked. It was still doing it when we eventually moved.

gillybob Wed 07-May-14 14:53:30

My sister had a problem with cats using her yard as a toilet and no matter how many times she poured buckets of disinfectant/bleach over the area the cats still came back. The local environmental health officer suggested empty fizzy drink bottles half filled with water lying on their side..... and being a hard yard they roll around easily and the sun bounces off them. Unbelievably it seems to work.

Although you might break your neck walking to the bottom of her yard you certainly won't tread in cat sh*t ! grin

Aka Wed 07-May-14 15:00:58

My front garden is cat poo free since I bought two cat scarers. I know some people find they don't work but I think it's cats that are put put at night that were using our front. These ones flash as well as emit a high frequency sound and I think it's the flash at night that's doing the job.

numberplease Wed 07-May-14 17:16:38

My cat uses a litter tray, and they`re not difficult to clean out if litter tray liners are used, or, as I often do, two carrier bags, one at each end, instead.

Ana Wed 07-May-14 17:19:31

Our cats have always used litter trays, too - but who knows what they get up to when they're out and about, having a good stalk? I bet they don't think "Ooh, better get back inside to use my litter tray!" grin

nightowl Wed 07-May-14 17:31:43

Am I being thick or is it unusual for cats to poo in open space? I have always had cats but as well as having a litter tray my cats have always chosen a very sheltered spot (in my garden) and take great pains to bury it. I thought they liked to be private?

goldengirl Wed 07-May-14 17:36:14

I thought we had cat poo in the garden but the culprits were foxes! Silly me not knowing the difference confused

numberplease Wed 07-May-14 18:08:41

Ana, our Mia`s litter tray gets an awful lot of use, she tends to go out for ages, come inside to use her litter tray, then off out again. I have been known (sorry all you gardeners) to wish that she`d "perform" outside so I wouldn`t have to keep cleaning it! There aren`t a lot of gardens around here actually, most folk just have a yard and front doors opening straight onto the street or road.

Ana Wed 07-May-14 18:54:08

I agree it's strange about the 'lawn poo' though. We get it on our front lawn (we have no cats at the moment) and it is a nuisance having to dispose of it before mowing, or GC visiting.

I have only ever seen cats doing their business out of the way and usually on soil, where they can bury it. What sort of cats are these that will walk into the middle of your lawn and perform willy-nilly? confused

Aka Wed 07-May-14 18:57:34

Cats round here poo anywhere and don't bury it.

Aka Wed 07-May-14 18:58:08

They obviously have a very bad cattitude!

Ana Wed 07-May-14 19:05:35

I blame the parents owners! grin

annodomini Wed 07-May-14 19:10:35

Cats don't have owners. They have servants. grin

nightowl Wed 07-May-14 19:18:06

Well I never. Obviously a new breed of completely shameless cats is developing. Is this celeb cat culture?

Ana Wed 07-May-14 19:37:26

That must be it, nightowl! Exhibitionists and attention-seekers...grin

Ana Wed 07-May-14 19:38:46

It's a catastrophe!