Gransnet forums

Pets

Day one without a cat in the house

(49 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 03-Feb-14 20:17:36

Tomorrow I'm facing being without a cat. My beloved ginger tom Jasper was put to sleep today. The pain is terrible and due to our age we can't think of having another cat.

baubles Mon 03-Feb-14 20:19:21

I'm sorry, Margaret. It is hard to lose a pet flowers

granjura Mon 03-Feb-14 20:20:38

So sorry to hear that Margaret. Why not have another cat- but adopt an adult cat from a rescue- and make provisions with either the rescue, or friends or family, that they would adopt the cat if ever...

Just can't imagine living without a cat on my lap- so my heart goes out to you. Don't be without- so many cats are stuck in refuges without a hope.

merlotgran Mon 03-Feb-14 20:21:20

So sorry, Margaret. It's awful isn't it?

Paige Mon 03-Feb-14 20:23:00

So sorryMargaretX I'm sure it will take awhile to get used to losing your cat.I feel the same..my two will be my last.As far back as I can remember there has always been a cat in my life. It will be hard when I have to face no more cats.sad

baubles Mon 03-Feb-14 20:23:31

Good idea granjura. My mother got a puppy at the age of 80 on the understanding that my daughter would inherit it when the time comes.

Agus Mon 03-Feb-14 20:23:37

Know just how you feel. It is heartbreaking flowers

newist Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:44

OH Margaret I do feel for you, Try to think of the joy Jasper gave you, although that's not easy just now flowers

Soutra Mon 03-Feb-14 20:32:27

Margaret big {{hug}} .

Tegan Mon 03-Feb-14 20:39:17

The thing about a pet is they're ALWAYS there, so when they go they leave such a gap in our lives. I agree about not ruling out getting another cat, but when we lost our beloved Douglas I had several cats afterwards and never replaced him; there's always a 'special' one.

Marelli Mon 03-Feb-14 20:43:17

MargeretX, the pain is really awful, I know sad. I cried and cried when we had to have Lucky put to sleep (kidney failure) a couple of years ago. After a couple of months we missed having a cat so much that we went along to our local cat shelter and were able to adopt another one from them. An adult female who had been found with her kittens underneath a shed....the kittens were homed by the shelter, and we now have Daisy, the mother. It's early days for you to be thinking of that, though.
Tomorrow is the first day of Jasper not being there with you, Margaret, but he'll have had a wonderful life with you. flowers

Deedaa Mon 03-Feb-14 21:48:18

I'm so sorry Margaret I can't imagine having no cats at all. I wouldn't rule out adopting an older cat, rescue organisations always seem to have rather elderly cats who have lost their owners and would love a proper home.

Lona Mon 03-Feb-14 22:16:26

Margaret flowers

numberplease Mon 03-Feb-14 22:24:07

So sorry Margaret

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Feb-14 22:25:44

flowers and commiserations. When you get over it a bit, have a think about fostering from the Cinnamon Trust. They'll take the cat back if you can't look after it and they help with vet's bills too. They need short term fosterers for people who're in hospital as well as long term - Animals are surprisingly adaptable when it comes to changing families.

Aka Mon 03-Feb-14 22:36:09

Margaret so sorry. I know what it's like to have to make this decision for a loved pet. You'll have made the choice for a good reason but that doesn't stop the heartache and sense of loss (((hugs)))

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Feb-14 22:45:35

MargaretX so sorry to hear this (((hugs)))

It's early days yet, I would suggest you don't rule it out.
Deedaa is quite right. Animal shelters near us often advertise older cats wanting a quiet home to spend their days in.

LizG Mon 03-Feb-14 23:01:46

So sorry Margaret flowers

annodomini Mon 03-Feb-14 23:10:36

I feel for you, Margaretx. I've been there and have never replaced my lovely cats. I live on a road that would be too dangerous for them. Even though it's been 17 years I still miss them badly. Maybe you could eventually make a lovely home for an unwanted cat, but give yourself space to grieve.

Flowerofthewest Mon 03-Feb-14 23:11:57

So sad for you margaret we had to have our ginger tom Jasper put to sleep 3 years ago and could not think of having another but a friend was dying and we agreed to take on her two cats, never thought we would love them as we did Jasper, especially DH but they are such wonderful animals and give us so much pleasure. Missy is now 10 and Oscar is 8.

I think you will find that there are many adult cats needing homes. Please consider it. I too cannot imagine a home without a cat.

Thinking of you flowers

Paige Mon 03-Feb-14 23:18:31

Fostering is a great idea! Unless the cat box issues are a problem.I fostered a poor old cat but she was so antisocial and scared. Every time she was in a carrier she would drool and foam at the mouth.I had never had a cat get so upset.The day I picked her up she was at a adoption fair but they had kept her in a cardboard box carrier and when I got her home she had feces all over her from freaking out! I had to take her to a vet the next couple of days because it had gotten in her poor eyes and she needed a antibiotic eye drop. So I would suggest being able to pick the cat you want...I just got one they needed help with...It could be great for you both! smile

grannyactivist Tue 04-Feb-14 00:18:49

MargaretX flowers sad
My mother lost both her cat and her dog and she too has decided not to replace either due to her age. She has though become a little more inclined to visit more as she doesn't always have to consider her pets and though she misses them she is adamant that she won't get another.

Eloethan Tue 04-Feb-14 00:34:38

Margaretx So sorry to hear your sad news. It really is devastating when a beloved pet dies.

Thistledoo Tue 04-Feb-14 09:12:08

Very sad news MargaretX, you will be feeling really low at this stage, be kind to your self and definitely don't write off the idea of having another cat. We lost our beloved old cat this time last year and felt the very same as you, to old to think about another cat. All the negatives, vet bills, food costs, being tied and what to do if we should fall ill and not able to care for him or her. These feelings continued for about 6 months when I decided to take the risk and get a kitten. 7 months down the line I have no regrets, Jojo has blended well with our family life and I cant imagine life without him.
Thinking of you today and in the difficult days ahead. [[[hugs]]]
flowers

MargaretX Tue 04-Feb-14 10:57:01

Thankyou all for your kind messages. It is now day one and I am getting through it. It was yesterday that was so heartbreaking. Watching him with his matted fur and thin, so thin. We did the right thing. He was 17 and probably had a tumour, he could no longer eat or drink.
Last night we looked at films and photos of him on the computer and remembered what he looked like in his prime. We also remembered that he didn't have much time for us then! Out all night and asleep all day and easy for the neighbours to look after him when we were away. This last year has been different and we know what a responsibility it can be to have another animal.
We don't know what the future will bring whether we will have to go into sheltered housing. Who knows that anyway?
I was once badly bitten by a rescue cat and got blood poisoning and needed a lot of antibiotics, and then we had a stray for 10 years, who was difficult and thats putting it mildly. We got Jasper as a kitten and from a good home as I felt I wanted an easy cat for a change.
Now that Jasper is gone other cats from the neighbourhood will begin to call by and I will have their company.