Gransnet forums

Pets

Good-bye to a dear Friend

(63 Posts)
glammanana Sun 19-Jan-14 12:02:14

Everyone knows about my JR Barney and how he came to us rescued from the dog pound 5+yrs ago we have just this morning found him in his basket and he had died in his sleep,we are so so upset but look back on his last years as a bonus to us and to him a most faithful friend one could ever wish to meet.

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-14 12:06:01

((((hugs)))) glamma. It's always sad when an old friend dies isn't it. I'm sure he had a wonderful final 5 years of his life.

whenim64 Sun 19-Jan-14 12:08:13

Oh, glamma I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely Barney. It's that time we dog lovers all dread happening, and hope will happen peacefully. He was there with you at home, which I hope is some consolation. Poor love xx flowers

Marelli Sun 19-Jan-14 12:10:14

Oh glamma, I'm so sorry to hear about Barney. You'll have enhanced his life so much for the past 5 years though, bless him. xx

soop Sun 19-Jan-14 12:17:02

glamma Such sad news. Thankfully Barney shared five marvellous years with you and the family. He will have died peacefully. Do you have a very clear, well defined photo of Barney? If so, I would like to attempt to do a wee watercolour painting of him [as a gift.] smile

Scooter58 Sun 19-Jan-14 12:25:29

Sorry to hear that,best way to go though,in his sleep,in his basket.Run free at Rainbow Bridge Barney.Thoughts are with you and yours glamma.x

Sook Sun 19-Jan-14 12:29:19

I'm very sad for you glamma. At least you were spared the dreadful decision that us dog lovers sometimes have to take and his ending was peaceful, although that isn't much comfort to you at the moment.

Big (((hugs))) for you.

newist Sun 19-Jan-14 12:31:30

Oh that is so sad. I am sorry for your pain flowers

whenim64 Sun 19-Jan-14 12:31:40

soop you are the most lovely person flowers

Agus Sun 19-Jan-14 12:52:21

Oh Glamma. So sorry to hear about Barney. Thankfully he died peacefully in his sleep, a happy dog with a loving family.

I know how you feel though as our dog Bobby had to be put to sleep last June but it still seems like yesterday. I miss him so much and still expect to see him lying in his favourite spots around the house.

moomin Sun 19-Jan-14 13:11:04

Ah so sorry Glamma that is sad news. But you rescued him and gave him 5 loving years he may otherwise not have had, he died peacefully which (when a pet has to "go") is the perfect way flowers

soop - you are a star wine

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 13:20:34

That is sad glamma but you couldn't wish for a more peaceful end for him.

grannyactivist Sun 19-Jan-14 13:28:32

glamma Barney had a peaceful death after a wonderful life with you. flowers
It still hurts though. sad

Charleygirl Sun 19-Jan-14 13:29:23

That is so sad. You gave him 5 good years and it would appear that he did not suffer, just drifted off to the doggy land in the sky.

mollie65 Sun 19-Jan-14 13:36:51

so sorry to hear of your loss - dogs are so very special and leave such a dog-shaped hole in our lives.Having had to have my beloved lurcher put to sleep 6 years ago - I still remember the pain and how I cried. Ollie the now beloved lurcher and my faithful companion is 10 and I already dread that his going is not too far away and wonder if I will even consider getting another rescue dog after him.
As a rescue dog , he would have so loved you for taking him on and at least he died at home in what I am sure is all dog's favourite place (his bed). sad
flowers for you.

janeainsworth Sun 19-Jan-14 13:48:59

flowers for you glamma

Aka Sun 19-Jan-14 13:55:42

You have given him five wonderful years and he passed away peacefully in his sleep. You will miss him and the love he gave you in return for the last years if his life. flowers

ninathenana Sun 19-Jan-14 14:09:38

A peaceful end for Barney but a shock for you flowers

glammanana Sun 19-Jan-14 14:17:18

Thanks you all so much for your lovely kind words,everytime we have lost a dog that feeling comes over you again doesn't it,just so glad he did not suffer and went nice and peacefully in his bed with his favourite toys,thanks so much soop the only really picture we have of him is in my profile pic's with his sunglasses as he would not keep still long enough to get a good image such a kind thought from a lovely lady.

janerowena Sun 19-Jan-14 14:52:49

I'm so very sorry, I lost my pet house-trained rabbit just a week ago, I know how painful it is when you expect to see them in their favourite places, and I still can't bear to part with all her toys and bowls. After a week it still hasn't sunk in, I know how low you must be, every morning I look for her running to the back door for a carrot. I find myself feeling very low, wonder why, and then remember. So please find lots of treats for yourselves this wekk coming, you will need them. Big hug. x

hummingbird Sun 19-Jan-14 15:16:13

It's so hard. Thinking of you, Glamma flowers

Soutra Sun 19-Jan-14 15:30:00

Thinking of you glamma and sending a huge {{hug}}. It is so sad but as the others have said how much better for him to go peacefully in his sleep in the comfort and safety of his basket - despite being a dreadful shock, much easier on you than making that awful decision regarding the vet. My last dog died in my arms very early one morning after I had let her out into the garden. She ran in, went to her bed, "squeaked"and her paws just slid away from under her, she rolled sideways , gave a few pants and she was gone. I do like to think that if she was conscious, she knew that I was there. A dog has you forever as far as they are concerned - we are the ones who grieve, but your Barney had 5 years of love, happiness and basically a happy ever after home. You cannot give a dog better than that <3<3<3 (Meant to be hearts!)

glammanana Sun 19-Jan-14 15:36:15

Thank you Soutra & Jane for your kind words,Jane I know what you mean about them not being in the place you expect them to be: usually this time on Sunday he is sitting at my feet when I am 'puttering watching the meat as it is sliced up for Sunday lunch so sad.sad

Lona Sun 19-Jan-14 15:38:30

Oh glam I'm so sorry, that is such a shock for you.
Barney was lucky to have you as his 'mum'. and he died in the best place, at home with his family. flowers

merlotgran Sun 19-Jan-14 15:42:31

lt must have been a shock, glammanana but it's the end that we would all choose for our dogs if we could. You will have lots of lovely memories from the 5 years he was with you. smile

Happy Hunting, Barney.