Gransnet forums

Pets

My poor Lily

(28 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 22-Dec-13 15:34:24

Afternoon all.

I'm worried about my poor little Lily Lou (the white cat in the profile pictures.)

She's always been a bit "strange", hiding within the folded up sofa bed, (took me some time to discover that particular hiding place) suddenly deciding that Mr P is definitely a cat murderer, this results in spectacular "leg spins" on the laminate floor in the kitchen as she bolts to safety upstairs, prompting me to say "you looked at her, didn't you!".

And of course we have always had to explain to anyone taking on cat feeding duties if we are away over night that, yes, they do need to put down three bowls of food even though they can only see 2 cats, because Lily is upstairs working on her Miss Havisham impersonation, which is coming along quite nicely, thank you for asking. And no, don't try to find her because it only makes her worse. If you are that concerned that she is a figment of our imagination, just look at the considerable amount of white fluff that rolls across the floor like tumbleweed in a bad Western.

She has been coming out of her favoured spare room lately, albeit only to take up position on the stairs. But at least this way she is actually visible, and can be sure of a quick stroke and a chat as we go up and down. Up and down, that is with a rather odd movement whilst passing her, as she sits in the middle of her chosen stair rather than to the side confused. She does however move to the banister side occasionally, which enables her to launch herself at my shoulders if I am going past on my way to the sitting room. We then spend a happy half hour with me sitting on the sofa with her firmly attached to be and seemingly intent on climbing onto my head.

However, she has started having fits sad . Mr P reported that she had one yesterday morning on the kitchen floor while he was putting the cats breakfast in their bowls. She recovered quite quickly and tucked in as normal.

Then, yesterday evening she was on my lap in the kitchen when she had another fit and wee'ed all over my trousers.

In between times she seems ok, as far as we can tell.

No doubt there is probably some sort of medication that the vet could prescribe to control the fits, but the thought of putting her through the stress of administering tablets is off putting. (This is a cat who has to have a 3 hour lie down in a darkened room to get over the trauma of having flea drops applied between her shoulders)

I've always felt that it is the quality of life that matters, but I'm afraid that I'm struggling to work out exactly what her quality of life currently is.

Thank you for reading.

Soutra Sun 22-Dec-13 15:52:32

Oh poor Lily. Kidney infection perhaps? Or dehydration? Our spaniel had "turns" when he got dehydrated and we subsequently found he had diabetes. It would be wise to have her checked out - may be nothing serious, or well, ...sad

Anne58 Sun 22-Dec-13 15:58:11

Pretty sure she isn't dehydrated, she really tucks in to the tinned food. The routine is that there is always a bowl of dried food available, (needs to be, as Digby prefers it, he will occasionally lick the jelly from tinned stuff, but quite often doesn't even bother turning up at "meal" times, fat lazy b*gg*r) and fresh water of course. Tinned food twice a day, sort of 7.30am and then 5.30pm

Charleygirl Sun 22-Dec-13 16:03:23

Poor liitle poppet. She sounds like my last cat Charley who only came near me for cuddles. If anybody came inside the house, he retired upstairs and if that person stayed a week, he did also upstairs and out of sight.

If she carries on like that after an application of flea drops, it could easily be something spooking her but what? It could be as Soutra suggested, a kidney infection or something worse. She definitely needs to see a vet. Is she insured?

Anne58 Sun 22-Dec-13 16:21:14

No, unfortunately, none of the 3 cats are insured sad

Like I said, we are used to her "funny little ways" she's been like it for over 8 years, bit the fits are definitely something new. She seems to recover from them quickly, but they are proper fits, not just a "fit of the vapours" so to speak.

ninathenana Sun 22-Dec-13 17:11:09

Has it ever been suggested that she's deaf?? It does happen with white cats.
It would perhaps explain her odd behaviour but obviously not the fits. We had a dog that developed epilepsy in later life.

rosesarered Sun 22-Dec-13 17:28:40

Well, it does sound like epilepsy Phoenix sorry to hear, a worry for you. If it keeps up though, I would be inclined to have her put to sleep in the coming months. Vet bills can be horrendous and as you rightly say, it's the quality of life that counts. Vets now try their best to keep pets going, often to awful cost and to the pet's detriment in my judgement, so I use my own judgement, and sad though it is [for us] it's often the best way for the cat.After all, they are not human and don't know what is about to happen.Keep an eye on her and wait and see.

Aka Sun 22-Dec-13 17:33:58

One of my dogs started having fits. He had 3 in quick succession, then nothing for a year, then 2 more. Then they just stopped. So don't despair yet.

Anne58 Sun 22-Dec-13 17:57:06

nina yes, I've heard about white cats being deaf but that is one problem that Lily doesn't suffer from, bless her!

Aka I will monitor the fits, although of course it isn't possible to watch her 24/7, she may be having fits that we don't see.

roses you are saying what I have been thinking sad huge (or indeed any) vet bills would be beyond us currently.

As she seems alright and happy most of the time, I'm not going to rush into anything, just see how things go over the next few weeks.

Madame Lily would not be one to go down the path of my dear departed Clucky, the story of her passing I told in a post (I think) entitled " And then there were two".

Pets, the joy and value that they bring to our lives, the worry and upset that they bring also.

Deedaa Sun 22-Dec-13 21:05:09

When I was still at school we had a cat that suddenly started having fits and that was apparently due to liver disease which was treated successfully for quite a while.
Vets really aren't much help when you are wondering where you should draw the line. Our darling 20 year old who had been deaf for a long time suddenly went blind. He was obviously frightened by not knowing where we were or what was happening and I sadly decided he would have to go. When I took him to the vet all he could say was *Well there's no physical; reason to put him to sleep" I asked him to do it anyway and I have never regretted it. It was such a relief to know that he was all right and not frightened any more.

yogagran Sun 22-Dec-13 22:43:49

I wonder if vets sometimes recommend treatment, surgery, medication etc just because they can without any thought for quality of life.

Just thinking aloud really but I send flowers and [hugs] to you phoenix at this difficult time. You are the one who knows Lily best and I am confident that you will do whatever is right for you all.

I think if it were me, I would take her to your vet to see if he/she can give you any answers

Ceesnan Mon 23-Dec-13 06:39:33

Do you have a PDSA near you Phoenix? They might be able to advise as to the best way forward.

Ariadne Mon 23-Dec-13 09:30:09

Among our many cats there were:

Rosie, who spent most of her life hiding under our duvet. I never saw a cat move so fast if someone came to the door! She died at the grand old age of 24.

Barkis , who just arrived on next door's doorstep and tried to move in. Unfortunately their cat, Peggotty, grin was having none of it, so we acquired him. In hindsight, I think he'd had an accident and was a bit brain damaged, but he had two modes - manic, in which he raced round, stole anything in a bag that rustled, and opened the fridge. Then he'd just stop, and sit on the boiler dribbling. Eventually, he just disappeared. We hoped he'd found another welcoming doorstep!

But, Phoenix it does sound as though little Lily has some sort of infection, hence the fits. Her general running away behaviour does happen, as with Rosie, who was incredibly timid, but I think she is ill. but vets do cost money, so PDSA or RSPCA might help. I think I have seen one or the other in Barnstaple.

rosesarered Mon 23-Dec-13 16:30:54

Phoenix do you live near Barnstaple?If you do, it's a lovely part of the world, we lived near there until about 5 years ago.
As some have said on here , vets now keep pets going long after they should, because 'they can' and also [because let's face it] it is money in their accounts. They also do it because they think it's what WE want.If a pet has had a good life with you, but now has not for whatever reason, then it's time for them to go. I decided that last year with my 18 year old cat. I miss him like crazy but it was the right decision.

Anne58 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:47:00

roses yes, not far from Barnstaple, but not quite as near as Ariadne is. We are in EX 21 postcode.

Ariadne PDSA cannot help, it would seem that I am currently in receipt of the "wrong" benefit, although that could change, but still no go.

Anyway, it's all decided, Lily takes a one way trip tomorrow. I know it's the right thing to do, she had 2 more fits today, but then she comes trundling down for her supper, looking as right as rain, and I feel awful. She has been sitting on the stairs, stretching her paw out every time I have been past, but I just can't bear to pick her up and cuddle her. I give her a scratch behind the ear and then have to walk away.

Ana Mon 23-Dec-13 23:00:14

Oh how very sad, phoenix! sad

Aka Mon 23-Dec-13 23:02:36

sad

Nonu Mon 23-Dec-13 23:06:07

Phoenix sad with kisses to you on your loss .

Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 10:00:09

Oh phoenix that's very sad, and a horrible time for her to be taken ill.
flowers (((hugs)))

Riverwalk Tue 24-Dec-13 10:06:40

What a sad thing to have to do Phoenix. Poor Lily Lou sad

Bellasnana Tue 24-Dec-13 10:26:18

As someone who has made that sad trip to the vet on more than one occasion, my heart aches for you phoenix sad

shysal Tue 24-Dec-13 10:52:39

I feel for you phoenix, having had to make similar decisions with past pets. I expect you will think you still see her on the stairs. flowers

Anne58 Tue 24-Dec-13 11:31:59

Thank you all, BUT the little madam has had a temporary reprieve!

We set off on what was meant to be her last journey, only to find the road flooded at Dipper Mill (it is known for flooding) so had to turn around and come back. I've just spoken to our vet, the lovely Adrian, and it has been decided that it will have to wait until after Christmas.

When I told him that the fits only last a few seconds, and that in the long periods in between she is her usual (if slightly odd) self, he said that he didn't feel that there was an urgent welfare issue, so hopefully she can have a good few days and be spoilt.

Please please keep things crossed, say prayers or whatever that she doesn't take a turn for the worse until the vets are on normal hours again.

Anne58 Tue 24-Dec-13 11:32:42

PS She has just boxed Digby's ears for daring to walk past her on the stairs! tchshock

Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 14:08:13

phoenix She sounds like 'a proper little madam!' tchgrin