Gransnet forums

Pets

Poorly dog

(65 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 05-Oct-13 09:06:55

My Nell is not well this morning - weeing frequently during the night and an hour ago I spotted a tiny streak of blood. In the vets at 10 am, so hope I've caught whatever it is in good time. She looked at me with those sorrowful eyes that Bassets have, and as soon as I put the phone down promptly went to sleep. Hasn't been out for a wee since! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Greatnan Sat 05-Oct-13 09:14:20

Good luck, When .....I know how you love her!

Lona Sat 05-Oct-13 09:30:35

Hope it's nothing serious when [fingers crossed]

Anniebach Sat 05-Oct-13 09:47:58

I do hope all is well

gracesmum Sat 05-Oct-13 09:53:21

Feeling for you and hoping it is no more than a urinary infection and vet will be dishing out the anti b's in exchange for usual large an
mount of fee. Hate hate that sinking feeling when a pet is ill - much worse than a person ( except a DGC or DC ) {hugs}

kittylester Sat 05-Oct-13 09:54:11

Good luck when. Bassets are brilliant at looking hard done by aren't they? Ours used to do really expressive 'humphs' too flowers

annodomini Sat 05-Oct-13 10:04:21

Get well soon, Nell. [juicy bone emoticon]

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 10:05:49

Fingers crossed when. Hope all Nell needs is some medication to make her well.

Sook Sat 05-Oct-13 10:45:34

Poor Nell I hope it is nothing serious when

whenim64 Sat 05-Oct-13 11:02:26

Well, Nell is humphing away in her basket, having enjoyed a play with some children at the vets, where she did two puddles on the floor and had everyone feeling sorry for her. The lovely Australian vet, who must have only weighed a couple of pounds more than her, carried her round whilst he fussed over her, gave her two injections, three lots of medicine and a free bag of treats. Pronounced it to probably be cystitis, and fleeced me for £91. She's just fallen asleep now! Her excitement for the day is over grin

Tegan Sat 05-Oct-13 13:20:20

Did you have to do the 'running round behind her with a frying pan' thing to get a sample? My dog's got another 'lump' which needs 'keeping an eye on'. Not like before when the vet had her straight in for removal and biopsy [turned out ok] so I'm hopeful it's nothing sinister sad. Paid £88 last week for vaccs, flea and wormer stuff etc. She started coughing and sniffing after the kennel cough vacc; vet said it was nothing to do with the vaccination itself [they always say that] but she's ok now. Now got the firework season to come so need to start on the valerian and dap diffuser routine. Oh the joy of pet ownership.

whenim64 Sat 05-Oct-13 13:53:37

Yes, did that at home then when I got to the vets they gave me a kidney dish to hold under her. Needless to say, she did her puddles before I could slide it under her! I tried to get a couple of tablets past her but she noticed them so she's just had them with sausages and gravy. I think she's enjoying her bout of poorliness grin

Good luck with yours, Tegan. Those lumps are a nuisance, even when they're benign.

Tegan Sat 05-Oct-13 13:56:54

Omelette pans are the best; very shallow but with a long handle! I use corned beef for tablets cause you can mould it round the pill wink.

kittylester Sat 05-Oct-13 14:09:23

Fun sized Mars bars for our bassets - they went down so fast they almost came out the other end. grin

Miniature schnauzers were always conned by gravy grin

annodomini Sat 05-Oct-13 14:14:45

Cats are not so easily fooled - take it from one who had to force a recalcitrant ginger to take thyroid tablets every day for the last three years of his ninth life.

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 14:15:06

Thank goodness nothing worse. Cystitis though is so unpleasant.

Our dog developed cancer 3 months ago and had to be put to sleep last week.
I'm still looking for him around the house then realising he isn't here!

I've been here before with other pets but it doesn't get any easier.

Charleygirl Sat 05-Oct-13 14:28:28

Agus I do not think that the pain ever leaves you and those who do not have pets do not realise how long the grieving process is. I have had my present cat for around 6 years but I still remember my last one and the antics he got up to.

Are you going to get another dog? You could foster if you did not want the long term commitment.

whenim64 Sat 05-Oct-13 14:36:14

Sorry to hear your sad news Agus. Losing a loved pet never gets easier, no matter how many times you go though it flowers

It's always sausages that Nell would give her eye teeth for. I've cooked a few now, so I can slip a tablet in a chunk that won't even touch the sides. grin

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 14:42:17

I'm not sure about getting another dog at this point Charleygirl. We have always had dogs and at present considering whether we should we get another dog at this stage in our lives.

It's still a wee bit too early and I know I would let my heart rule my head.

Hope you are spoiling Nell something rotten When

Charleygirl Sat 05-Oct-13 14:46:21

Agus I did not mean now, I meant later on. Now would be far too early, in my opinion.

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 15:08:10

Thanks When. Bobby was always too clever at finding any tablet no matter what I did to camouflage it. I had to resort to crushing it between two soup spoons then mixing it with a strong smelling pate (supermarket basic brand) not fois grasgrin. He was named because he looked like Greyfriars Bobby.

Charleygirl I'll just wait and see how I feel at a later date. As you say, it is far too early.

Aka Sat 05-Oct-13 15:23:02

So sorry to hear about Bobby Agus sad from one dog lover to another and hope your poorly pooch gets well soon When

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 15:46:31

Thanks for your message Aka

gracesmum Sat 05-Oct-13 16:56:39

flowers agus it is heartbreaking as many of us know and each time we swear we won't put ourselves through that again, but in my own case after a few weeks, I have found myself trawling the Greyhound rescue sites (currently on Greyhound no. 3) and then I know I am ready. I think of each one not as a replacement dog - you could never replace Islay (lab) Jock( Greyhound no 1,) Icy (Greyhound no 2) or the present incumbent, Grace. I just think of them as filling a dog shaped space in the home and in the heart. Good luck to Nell - I hope she makes a speedy recovery and that she doesn't have to see that rich nice Mr Vet again for a while!

Agus Sat 05-Oct-13 17:27:58

It's so nice to have people understand that Bobby was a big part of our family. What made it worse this time was having to tell our 2GDs. I tried to prepare them during the 3 months so that the end wasn't too upsetting.

We had labs before Bobby and I watched a programme last night about labs being trained for the disabled. Don't know if I could part with it when the time came though.