Gransnet forums

Pets

Somebody told me that she thinks I may have to review the type of dog I have the next time.

(30 Posts)
HUNTERF Wed 07-Aug-13 16:53:59

I had not given this much thought but she said that she does not think a Cairn is the right type of dog to start with when you are 70+.
I hope Andie will be around on my 70th birthday as he will only be 13 but I think her advice may be correct.

Frank

LizG Wed 07-Aug-13 17:55:05

I have always found that the 'right' kind of dog is the one which chooses me. Why would a Cairn not be suitable they seem lovely to me once they have stopped barking.

HUNTERF Wed 07-Aug-13 18:21:09

LizG

Cairns are very strong for their size and Andie is big for a cairn but not excessively.
He is in proportion and the vet says do not worry as he is slightly overweight for a cairn according to the books.
He may not qualify as a perfect show dog but he is a lovely pet and a bit of a guard dog.
Really it is like the occasional 6 foot 8 inch tall human.
Anyway I hopefully have got some years before I hopefully have to think about this.
Yes he did choose me and my father. Probably he thought we needed a bigger cairn as we were reasonably tall men but we did not realise how big he would be until he was fully grown.
I have heard his brothers are similar.

Frank

merlotgran Wed 07-Aug-13 18:23:57

The wonderful thing about dogs is that they don't care how old you are.

Charleygirl Wed 07-Aug-13 18:26:45

Nor do cats!

glammanana Wed 07-Aug-13 18:36:24

Nor do I !

HUNTERF Wed 07-Aug-13 18:55:50

merlotgran

You are correct.
Andie likes every member of the family.
He liked my father and I could tell he was not happy when he died.
Even though Andie was not there at the time he could somehow tell.

Frank

LizG Thu 08-Aug-13 07:46:33

He sounds gorgeous Frank, how old is he? I love Cairns and had thought to get one if our Lurcher beats me to it so to speak (only if it chooses me smile of course but I could help the matter along).

HUNTERF Thu 08-Aug-13 08:20:35

Liz

Andie is 7 and very lively.
I can not remember a usual sort of time walk when somebody has not said hello to him.
During the heat wave he has had his walks at 5am and 11pm when it has been cool so he has not met so many people.
Somebody he re met yesterday said she had been talking about his absence to a friend the day before but she suspected the heat was playing a part in it.

Frank

LizG Thu 08-Aug-13 08:52:45

Yes we have been carefully timing Tinker's walks too but 11pm would be too late for me so she goes out about 7am and 6pm. Cairns are lovely, friendly dogs and Andie sounds perfect to me. We had a Westie which my OH loved but sadly he didn't make old bones (dog not OH fortunately smile) suspect an unnoticed heart condition - and I think we would both like another terrier. Although Tynx is just 6 and a lovely dog I occasionally trawl the 'rescue' websites.

HUNTERF Thu 08-Aug-13 09:57:16

LizG

Normally Andie has a morning and evening walk but not at set times and not usually as early as 5am.
Some people say you should exercise your dog at regular times but Andie does not seem to bother as long as he gets a walk by about noon and another before bed time.

Frank

LizG Thu 08-Aug-13 10:01:40

And as long as he is out with his 'bossman'

Deedaa Thu 08-Aug-13 22:08:44

I'd have thought a cairn was ideal Frank. I can see that one might think twice about a Bull Mastiff at 70, but even then I think the dog's character would be the main thing.

absent Thu 08-Aug-13 22:32:15

There seem to be a huge number of interfering busybodies (usually women or, if you prefer, ladies) where you live HUNTERF.

HUNTERF Thu 08-Aug-13 22:52:40

absent

There are. Especially ones which wanted me to hand the house I inherited to one of them,.

Frank

gillybob Thu 08-Aug-13 22:55:27

Oh Jeez not again purleeeeeeease .

Tegan Thu 08-Aug-13 22:58:38

Aren't cairns rather bolshy, opinionated little dogs?

gillybob Thu 08-Aug-13 23:05:15

No Tegan they are lovely spirited little terriers with fab personalities .

Oh no I am falling into the abyss that is the world of Frank

Someone help me,
help me
help me pleeeease,
is the answer up above,
how can I,
oh how can I tell them
this is not a puppy love

smile

Galen Thu 08-Aug-13 23:19:40

Do dogs take after their owners, or is the converse true? Discuss!

LizG Fri 09-Aug-13 07:12:40

Mine is slinky, lithe, sleek, tall, slender, speedy, loves people. You have met me Galen, does this SOUND like me? Well I am tall I suppose!

HUNTERF Fri 09-Aug-13 08:16:16

Galen

I like Bournemouth, Cardiff and Llandudno.
When I ask Andie if he wants to come to one of those places he wags his tail nineteen to the dozen.
The last time I asked he started barking for a short time and 1 of the barks sounded like yes and he then stopped.
I don't know if that was a coincidence or if he was trying to talk.
He does wag his tail but not so fast when I ask him if he wanted to come to Sutton Park but he did not complain when I said this to him and I changed my mind and took him to Pype Hayes Park.

Frank

petallus Fri 09-Aug-13 08:28:44

HUNTERF I am quite impressed that Andie can nearly say 'yes' and I think it must have been quite a struggle for him to do so with his dog's limited mouth and tongue movement.

I am even more impressed that he knows enough about Bournemouth, Cardiff and Llandudno to be able to choose between them. Has he visited these places before?

Sook Fri 09-Aug-13 08:46:24

Join the Jet Set and adopt a black greyhound Frank grin

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 12:44:14

A link for Andy, but I am sure he will not mind if others look at it. I am not sure whether this will work, as it was part of an email I received from Findmypast. Worth a go.

dreammail.edgesuite.net/FindMyPast/1911-census-dog.jpg?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=fmp_email&utm_term=reg&utm_content=090813&utm_campaign=unearthed-1911-dog-notip

Well, it came up blue, at least.

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 12:45:14

The link worked for me. Sorry I spelt Andie's name wrong.