Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Bowlsful/ bowlfuls

(66 Posts)
MrsKen33 Fri 02-Dec-22 03:15:54

I have just had a document corrected by a professional proofreader. I wrote “He ate three bowlsful of soup” and she corrected it to ‘bowlfuls’. Who is right?

MrsKen33 Sun 25-Dec-22 14:59:51

Then it would be cupsful. !!!!!

Grantanow Mon 06-Mar-23 09:20:18

Bowlsful is historically correct but bowlfuls has become quite commonplace. Language changes. I loathe 'mitigate against' but it has now become so universal I wouldn't bother commenting.

grumppa Mon 06-Mar-23 10:09:18

Could it depend on context? Is there such a thing as a bowlful, like a teaspoonful, to denote a measure of quantity (pl. bowlfuls)? Or are we talking about dishing out cereal to a number of people at breakfast (pl. bowlsful)?

Two problems with this. 1. Have I got them the right way round. 2. Would it ever be possible to get usefully wide acceptance of this distinction?

Lovetopaint037 Mon 06-Mar-23 10:52:03

BlueBelle

Bowlfuls for me or ‘three bowls full’

That’s it. Defo.

Grannmarie Mon 06-Mar-23 11:00:28

Bowlsful... I base my answer on the precedent of
Yes, sir! Yes, sir! Three bags full.
From BaaBaa Black Sheep 🐑 🤣

choughdancer Mon 06-Mar-23 13:58:49

MaizieD I always write 'all right' rather than 'al.....' (nearly caught myself out there!); but I accept that language has changed. I don't say 'right now' instead of 'now', but also accept the change. My 100 year old mother visibly shudders on hearing it though!

I don't usually split an infinitive either, but know that that is very old fashioned nowadays.

Grantanow Mon 24-Jul-23 17:50:02

Bowlsful is historically correct but English is a living language so bowlfuls may come to be the correct answer in due course.

Greenfinch Mon 24-Jul-23 17:59:29

But would you say mouthsful? Surely it is mouthfuls.
MaizieD I was always taught it was all right and not alright and I always keep to that.

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Jul-23 18:05:31

I'd say mouths full if it was more than one mouth and mouthful if one mouth Greenfinch.

Greenfinch Mon 24-Jul-23 18:37:44

ThanksSmileless but to me they have different meanings. Mouths full suggests three mouths belonging to three different people eg they spoke with their mouths full.😄

Esmay Mon 24-Jul-23 19:53:12

You were correct -bowlsful .

I don't want to be pedantic , but I would have written :
he drank three bowlsful of soup .

Justwidowed Sat 14-Oct-23 20:14:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sodapop Sat 14-Oct-23 20:45:22

It's quite a famous quote Justwidowed

CanadianGran Sat 14-Oct-23 21:06:40

My spell check and Britannica Dictionary give the plural of bowlful as bowlfuls, but I do think that it's more common to say bowlsful.

And Granmarie, I started singing that rhyme in my head as well!

As for the weekend, I would say 'on the weekend' the same as you would say 'on Saturday and Sunday'.

Ziplok Sat 14-Oct-23 21:13:13

Well, Bowlsful sounds correct to me.
Bowlfuls doesn’t seem to trip off the tongue, somehow. I suppose language is always evolving, though.