Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Anachronisms!

(44 Posts)
Greatnan Fri 08-Feb-13 08:29:57

I watch old episodes of Heartbeat early in the morning. I love it, but sometimes they use phrases which would certainly not have been used in the 1960s - young script writers? Today, they said 'harass', with the wrong pronunciation, and I don't remember anybody outside a courtroom using that at that period, and certainly not with the stress on the last syllable.
This sets my teeth on edge in most period dramas too. More research, please, writers!

janeainsworth Fri 08-Feb-13 08:33:07

I agree Greatnan. I think 'harass' came into common usage around 1987 grin

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:43:44

It is common practice in English to put the stress in front of a double letter. So haráss makes sense.

It's also common practice to put stress on the first syllable of English words, though I think Americans do it more than we do.

Harass is from Old French.

Chambers gives both pronunciations as correct, though it puts hárass first.

No case, m'lud.

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:44:26

You'll just have to have edgy teeth, greatnan wink

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:45:54

The stress will have been on the syllable 'rass' in French, I would have thought, so historically that would seem to be correct.

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:47:47

I say cómparable. Mr Bags says compárable.

I expect there are umpty-ump examples and I'm sure they've all been invented for the sole purpose of edging teeth. grin

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:49:34

Not sure I'd call such things anachronisms either. #pedantryalert

Greatnan Fri 08-Feb-13 08:49:46

I often have to rethink a French word which is the same in English because the stress is placed on a different syllable. I maintain that a British programme should use the British pronunciation! I blame American TV programmes - I hope we don't start saying 'hostle' and 'aluminum'.

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:51:15

But how can you say that haráss isn't English? It obviously is English!

feetlebaum Fri 08-Feb-13 08:54:46

Har'ASS - sounds like Frank Spenser - and I think it might have spread from there...

I say 'formidable - I hear for'midable a lot...

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:58:59

'controversy / con'troversy

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 08:59:37

re'search / 'research

Greatnan Fri 08-Feb-13 09:08:22

I didn't say it wasn't English, bags, I said I did not think it was pronounced with the stress on 'ass' in the 1960's.
Your reply certainly qualifies for Pedants' Corner! smile

Elegran Fri 08-Feb-13 09:21:11

As far back 1958 it was being pronounced with the access on the last syllable.

It was part of an unannounced dictation test given us at Moray House teacher training college which began "A harassed pedlar and an embarrassed fiddler ...." Only a very few people got the whole thing right. Some had a lot of mistakes and there were some embarrassed future teachers.

Wish I could remember the rest - it would have been perfect for Pedants' corner.

Elegran Fri 08-Feb-13 09:25:16

Googled and found it. Apparently a dominie in Dumfriessshire in the 1920s used to use it a spelling test. One mistake and you got the strap. Luckily they did not strap embryo teachers in Edinburgh in 1958.

"A harassed pedlar met an embarrassed cobbler in a cemetery assessing with unparalleled ecstasy the symmetry of his uncle’s ankles.”

janeainsworth Fri 08-Feb-13 09:42:23

elegran At my primary school in Stockport in the fifties, you got the cane if you got less than 7/10 in the weekly Times Tables test sad

Bags I have finally, after meditating in the bath for half an hour, come up with a word with double letters which doesn't have the accent on that syllable.
Windlass.
Thinking about 'harass', I think there's a slight difference in meaning when he emphasis is placed differently.
If I put the emphasis on the first syllable, I would mean that I was being pressured by events eg 'I feel really harassed today' meaning I had too much to do and think about.
If the emphasis is on the second syllable, I would use it to mean a person was pressurising or bullying me, eg 'I've been harassed by that new manager at work'.
Anyone agree?

absent Fri 08-Feb-13 09:56:04

Like everything in life, the common pronunciation of words does change over time. (Look at Belinda in The Rape of the Lock who sometimes "counsel takes and sometimes tea", which must have been pronounced tay or the rhyme doesn't work.)

When did kilometre with the stress on the first syllable (as kilogram, kilocalorie, kilojoule, etc. still are) become kil/ometre with the stress on the second syllable? Or mandatory with the stress on the first syllable become man/datory with the stress on the second? Both some time since the 1960s, I think.

Lilygran Fri 08-Feb-13 10:01:34

In principle, I agree with Greatnan. I can't understand why production companies lavish resources on costume and sets and completely ignore the dialogue. The recent unlamented BBC version of Father Brown was a good example. But there were so many anachronisms and so much sheer ignorance in that series I've ground at least one layer of enamel off my teeth!

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 10:22:06

jane, an exception (there will be more) that proves the rule smile. Check out the derviation of windlass and you'll see what I mean. The current spelling is a corruption (there's another one but it's from cor + rupt) of the original.

Think of tomorrow, merry, merrier, merriest, etc. Perhaps it's another of those 'rules' that apply to Old English/Germanic words but not necessarily to words with a Latin/French origin.

Just pondering.

What annoys me more in period dramas is that the women so often don't wear hats/bonnets outdoors when they bloody well would have done at the time being portrayed.

I think my tooth enamel is allright though.

absent Fri 08-Feb-13 10:25:34

Thinking about teeth – period dramas don't get them right either. When Pasolini made The Decameron, not an especially wonderful film, he did use people with blackened teeth and gaps in their mouths for authenticity.

That would have affected pronunciation too.

Lilygran Fri 08-Feb-13 10:26:43

And the men never take their hats off, even in church!

janeainsworth Fri 08-Feb-13 10:28:20

Bags derivation of windlass? [puzzled emoticon]
#feelingabitthickthismorning

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 10:32:54

Look it up in a dictionary, is what I meant. Origin probably windas, according to Chambers, and possibly from old French wanlace.

But they don't really know.

So the 'lass' bit is just a wrong spelling that has stuck.

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 10:33:49

lily, OMG! I hadn't noticed that! More teeth grinding.

Bags Fri 08-Feb-13 10:35:38

So twentieth/twenty-first century people will need to be shown as having ground down teeth, caused by irritability at pronunciations and the hat-ignorance of TV directors!