Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Eh?

(30 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-12 20:31:53

I don't normally pop in here but I'm watching Nigella making a coffee meringue and she says she has been advised to use white wine vinegar, or in her words, 'I have it under advisement'......Is it me?

whenim64 Mon 17-Dec-12 20:36:31

I switched off listening to her strange vocabulary when she described a pud coming out of the oven as having 'inner thigh wibble!' grin

It's not you, it's her! grin

Anne58 Mon 17-Dec-12 20:38:36

Is she pissed?

Ana Mon 17-Dec-12 20:41:32

Usually...grin

Joan Mon 17-Dec-12 21:02:23

Is my memory correct on this - the only cooking show there used to be, was Fanny Craddock and her permanently pissed husband?

Here in Oz I'm sick of cooking shows - there's hundreds of them, with the presenter going "yomm" or 'beaudiful"

And it's not as if they often cook something you could copy: they say stuff like: "you need to add a dash of outer mongolian bindweed"

crimson Mon 17-Dec-12 21:14:31

I have fantasies about Nigel Slater adopting me; I don't usually watch cookery programmes but I watched him a few weeks ago and it was like being in a sort of dreamland [I was falling asleep on the sofa at the time].

whenim64 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:16:37

I remember Philip Harben in the 50s/60s, but there were only one or two. Someone's bound to come up with another! grin

Elegran Mon 17-Dec-12 21:24:48

There was one who was billed as The Galloping Gourmet, and then there was The Naked Chef (he wasn't). There was Madhur Jaffrey (she had never cooked at home as they had Staff, but needed to make some dosh so wrote home for recipes and became a guru on Indian cooking)

Ariadne Mon 17-Dec-12 21:27:05

Wasn't "advisement" some sort of legal terminology? I think I recognise it. However I can't see it being appropriate for meringues - tortuous or what?

Faye Mon 17-Dec-12 21:29:45

I enjoy some cooking shows in Oz such as Good Chef Bad Chef, but irritating James Reeson who I thought was a Pom. grin He says things such as per gala instead of pergola, he can't be an Australian.

Anne58 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:32:46

There's a story that at the end of one of Fanny Craddocks programmes , Johnny turned to the camera and said "I hope all your doughnuts look like Fanny's"

jO5 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:35:56

We used to love The Galloping Gourmet!

annodomini Mon 17-Dec-12 21:54:27

Marguerite Patten in the 1950s. I used to have one of her books which was most useful when I was first cooking for myself. It was good, basic cookery which actually worked.

annodomini Mon 17-Dec-12 21:55:48

Marguerite Patten in the 1950s. I used to have one of her books which was most useful when I was first cooking for myself. Hers were good basic recipes which really worked.

Anne58 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:58:55

There's that echo again grin

annodomini Mon 17-Dec-12 21:59:25

To get back to the OP: I've only heard the term 'under advisement' used by rather pompous public servants when they didn't really want me to know what they meant. It apparently means that whatever it is will be given careful consideration.

annodomini Mon 17-Dec-12 22:10:06

I can't win tonight! Better get an early night.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-12 22:19:52

Thanks, anno. I must remember to give the addition of white wine vinegar some careful consideration in future. hmm I think Nigella is slowly going bonkers. grin

gracesmum Mon 17-Dec-12 22:24:24

i lost count of the times she described her food as "voluptuous" but DH was drooling happily in the corner- whether at the food or Nigella- who cares? Whatever makes him happy! grin

Lilygran Mon 17-Dec-12 22:45:32

Nigel Slater is very soothing. He says things like, 'Cheese and tomato go really well together' and doesn't make loud noises or use strange expression.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-12 22:49:39

I think Nigel Slater is a bit creepy.

glassortwo Mon 17-Dec-12 22:58:36

Does anyone else think some of the things that Nigel Slater throws together are a bit strange

whenim64 Mon 17-Dec-12 23:02:15

No, I really rate Nigel Slater. He always happens to have leftovers that make somethbg special, rather than a bit of minging parmesan and some stale bread. grin

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-12 23:03:07

All those brown paper packages tied up with string are a bit strange as well.

Back in the seventies I used to love a lunchtime TV programme called Farmhouse Kitchen. Does anyone else remember it?

annodomini Mon 17-Dec-12 23:03:55

I know I have had a recipe for Pavlova meringue that involved some kind of vinegar and, I think, cornflour, to give it a marshmallow texture. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? confused