Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Daft sayings

(44 Posts)
absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 08:06:51

Does any organist ever pull out all the stops?

Does anyone in the entire world ever suffer fools gladly?

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:15:33

DH1 is an organist. I believe it depends on the organ and is possible on small mechanical action organs. Not likely to happen on big church ones.

But, in any case, the expression is clearly used as a figure of speech to express extreme output, usually of effort.

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:16:36

Re suffering foold gladly, yes, at least one person does. Tolerance, it's called.

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:16:47

fools

absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 08:17:59

Gladly? Really?

Greatnan Sun 02-Dec-12 08:18:15

Daft parental question : Do you want another smack?
(Not that my mother ever said it!)

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:20:12

Yes, gladly. I'm truly glad that I can tolerate fools.

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:21:39

Difficult to define foolishness anyway. One person's fool is another person's wise person. Is there a single word for "wise person"?

absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 08:30:26

But are you tolerating them gladly – which is positively saintly – or just glad that you can tolerate them – which is still good but not exceptional?

absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 08:31:51

Why is cleanliness next to godliness?

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:38:15

It isn't. My dad used to say "Cleanliness is next to nothing."

Thinking on your previous post.....

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:40:04

Probably the second, since I'm not saintly, nor do I wish to be, but really, absent, you are being too literal. Have you no poesy in you? Do you not think there is something to be said for good, non-literal imagery?

absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 08:45:54

Okay. What is daft about a brush? And does drunk as a lord contradict sober as a judge?

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:52:14

Check out daft as a brush here. Besom is used for something akin to a witch in
scotland too, as in "you glaikit besom" said to the sister of a friend of mine when she tipped over a dustbin onto the patio to find something her mother had thrown out.

Bags Sun 02-Dec-12 08:54:05

Without checking, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Bill Bryson and other writers on linguistic idiosyncracies had lots to say about such phrases. Why don't you do some research? Then you can tell us what you've found smile

janeainsworth Sun 02-Dec-12 08:54:53

absent my mother would have said you have got it on you this morning.
What anyone had on them was never specified.
Are you hair-splitting for England?
I agree with bags that if you are glad you can tolerate fools, you are indeed tolerating them gladly. What has saintliness got to do with it?
bags that saying of your dad's is an example, is it not, of that thing that phoenix posted about, where the second half of a sentence is unexpected, compared to the first. It begins with a P and I can't remember what it is! Senior moment! Someone remind me please!

absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 08:57:00

Because it was just a passing thought and I'm a lazybones – only the bones, many other parts of the brain and body are reasonably active. wink

Barrow Sun 02-Dec-12 09:10:41

If someone was in a bad mood my DH used to say they had a cob on - never did know what he meant!

Greatnan Sun 02-Dec-12 13:39:24

Janeainsworth - oxymoron? Like compassionate conservatism. grin
Or bathos? 'She came in triumph and a black cab'.

Greatnan Sun 02-Dec-12 13:41:39

My dearly-loved sister often does foolish things, like missing planes, trains and coaches. I just sigh internally and sort things out for her. On the other hand, when a sales assistant in a shoe shop tells me they don't have size 7 but they do have size 5, I find it hard not to make a sarcastic retort. So, I suppose it depends how much I like/love the fool.

janeainsworth Sun 02-Dec-12 14:28:06

no Greatnan I've found it now by googling 'sentence with an unexpected ending' and got this
I think the reason I couldn't remember it is because I'm not sure how to pronounce it and so hadn't built a picture of the word in my mind, if that makes sensesmile
Probably notgrin

Greatnan Sun 02-Dec-12 15:16:13

Ah, that's a new one since I left teaching!

annodomini Sun 02-Dec-12 15:26:14

There was a whole thread on this back in September, thanks to phoenix.

Ana Sun 02-Dec-12 15:28:30

That thread must have completely passed me by....I have no recollection of it whatsoever! confused

absentgrana Sun 02-Dec-12 18:20:05

I felt a bit immediatley put down when I started what I thought was a quite light-hearted thread, so thank you everyone who is still contributing jolly postings.