Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Over used unnessary phrases

(117 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 28-Nov-12 17:00:19

Basically, at this moment in time, in my opinion I think some phrases are totally overused in conversation. To be frank and not to put too finer point on it, it seems to me that as we reduce our use of vowels to text we are increasing the number of words we use when speaking.

I'm not being funny but are there any overused phrases that drive you insane?

grin

absentgrana Wed 28-Nov-12 17:13:37

We all.

I have got into trouble on Gransnet twice for becoming ratty about someone writing "we all" in a post. The first was a bit of a spit when I encountered yet one more welcome to a new member with "We're all as mad as a box of frogs" or some such thing – having just read three other similar comments. Speak for yourself. The second was more recently and concerned a far more serious subject. It seemed to me very wrong to suggest that the unhappy family situation being discussed was the norm. It certainly didn't apply in my family However this was just Gransnet.

Journalism and the mighty BBC are another kettle of fish. A few weeks ago on Breakfast television (and the News Channel also often uses the same scripts) there was a piece about How "we were all inspired by the Olympic and Paralympic athletes". Well, I for one wasn't 9I didn't watch the Olympics) and nor, judging by the queues outside Gregs the bakers, were quite a lot of other people in this town. In the same bulletin they talked about how "we all" had watched with amazement that chap who did the sound barrier freefall/parachute jump. I didn't/haven't seen it.

We are bombarded with this lazy journalism. "We are all overweight", "We all eat to much salt", "We all take too little exercise" are three phrases I have read in the last week. "No we all aren't/don't," she screamed.

absentgrana Wed 28-Nov-12 17:14:01

Gosh – that's better. grin

Butty Wed 28-Nov-12 17:16:24

'With you on that one' ag grin

whenim64 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:37:56

absent

If one more person says 'so I turned round and said....' when its obvious that they did no such thing. Grrr....

whenim64 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:38:58

Missed the 'agree with you' there absent

Butty Wed 28-Nov-12 17:54:45

Skip reading is a bad habit - I misread this thread title as 'Over used pessaries'.
shock

Anne58 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:03:34

The "turned around" one always make me imagine people whirling like spinning tops whilst holding a conversation.

BAnanas Wed 28-Nov-12 18:43:36

Basically at the end of the day basically is a completely superfluous word. When push comes to shove it's not fit for purpose trouble is not only do people use these cliches 24/7 they have been using them right from the get go they just don't know how we all managed back in the day without them Hey if you are like me girlfriend, I really hate that one, we would just turn around and say end of stop all this claptrap. do you know what I'm sayin and another pretentious little Americanism I hate is do the math do you know what? it's England and we say maths actually!

Ana Wed 28-Nov-12 18:51:44

I have actually heard Brits say 'Do the math'. It's horrible and, as you say BAnanas, pretentious!

annodomini Wed 28-Nov-12 18:52:56

Whew! BAnanas, feel better now? I used to have a colleague who 'turned round' in every sentence and I am not exaggerating. Fortunately she left before I turned round with a knife in my hand.

JessM Wed 28-Nov-12 18:54:02

grin
going forward
at all - as in "can i get you anything else at all?'
for you both as in "is everything alright for you both"
(waiter/waitresses in this area cant help themselves)
DEVASTATED - when the hamster has disappeared, when the team has not won etc etc etc often preceded by "the whole community" - often personified by someone 3 roads away who is devastated about some tragedy affecting someone they did not know.
This is a UK special - devastation far less common in countries where earthquakes and cyclones are more common. Odd that.

BAnanas Wed 28-Nov-12 19:06:44

annodomini I don't feel better cos I'm like literally so not over these cliches just hearing them is a nightmare I'm not trying to big myself up but I just don't do gibberish Yeah I'm like proper devastated and I think I basically need closure before I can go forward

Ana Wed 28-Nov-12 19:08:20

But at least you've been on a journey, BAnanas!

Ana Wed 28-Nov-12 19:10:02

And I bet is't been a roller-coaster...

Ana Wed 28-Nov-12 19:10:34

is't? hmm it's!

Ella46 Wed 28-Nov-12 19:29:23

Well I'm gutted!

BAnanas Wed 28-Nov-12 19:31:44

Yes you're right Ana we are all in this together, on a journey a roller-coaster of emotions innit

FlicketyB Wed 28-Nov-12 19:31:57

What you need now is closure

Ana Wed 28-Nov-12 19:34:40

and time to come to terms with it, or make sense of it.

BAnanas Wed 28-Nov-12 19:40:05

You might be gutted Ella 46, but I'm devastated I'm off to do some copious crying now I'm doin it for me nan!

Ella46 Wed 28-Nov-12 19:43:34

At this moment in time there are 5, yes 5! threads on the Active list under the heading Pedant's Corner !!!!

Are we perhaps getting a little OTT about things? grin

Sel Wed 28-Nov-12 19:45:49

Isn't language dynamic? I love the changes and would hate to feel, in real life that I was being judged - sorry about the 'in real life' but I mean as opposed to this cyber world. I have picked up many phrases from my children and people I come into contact with of many nationalities. Is that wrong? Language is about communication, that's all.

For interest I looked up 'pedant'

ped·ant
[ped-nt] Show IPA

noun
a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.

a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.

a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.

Obsolete . a schoolmaster.

Ducking here for the 'get off our thread' responses smile

BAnanas Wed 28-Nov-12 19:49:09

OTT be damned bring it on

Ana Wed 28-Nov-12 19:51:13

Might you be over-thinking this a bit, Sel? We're only taking the mickey about over-used words and phrases (many of which we've probably used ourselves). Pedants' Corner is a bit of a mickey-take as well...smile