Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Quote, misquote

(38 Posts)
absentgrana Sun 02-Sep-12 12:45:33

We've just been having jolly japes about Edmund Burke on the thread about Who is god? strangely enough. A few more common misquotations or misattributions spring to mind.

Probably the best-known misquote in the English language is "Elementary, my dear Watson, elementary." Conan Doyle didn't write it and Sherlock Holmes didn't say it.

Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up Scotty".

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language" does not appear anywhere in any of George Bernard Shaw's works.

NfkDumpling Sun 02-Sep-12 12:54:22

Good quotes to quote though. Somebody should have said them.

jeni Sun 02-Sep-12 13:08:37

Was it Oscar Wilde who replied to a friends comment ' I wish I'd said that' with 'you will'?

Mamie Sun 02-Sep-12 13:12:55

I think it was the other way round. Oscar said "I wish I had said that" and the friend said "You will, Oscar, you will."
Whether it is true or not I have no idea.

jeni Sun 02-Sep-12 13:15:14

Does anyone know?

feetlebaum Sun 02-Sep-12 13:23:41

Credited in a 1905 biography to James McNeil Whistler.

dorsetpennt Sun 02-Sep-12 13:48:32

I thought it was Winston Churchill who said 'countries divided by a common language' thingmy.

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Sep-12 14:02:32

I thought "two nations divided by a common language" was George Bernard Shaw!

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Sep-12 14:08:55

Just Googled "two nations divided". It it seems most widely attribited to GBS. It probably wasn't in any of his published works. From what I understand about him he wasnt one to ever resist the opportunity to make a cynical pronouncement of any sort.

Greatnan Sun 02-Sep-12 14:50:07

'Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?' is usually quoted correctly but with the wrong emphasis. Juliet is not asking where he is, but why he belongs to the wrong family, so no pause is required before the final word.

Hamlet does not say 'Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well' but 'Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him, Horatio'.

johanna Sun 02-Sep-12 15:41:03

"Elementary my dear Watson" is from P.G Wodehouse.

The closest to " Beam me up Scotty " is " Beam us up Mr. Scott " , by Gene Rodden berry, creator of Startrek.

" We really have everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language". Oscar Wilde.

Anagram Sun 02-Sep-12 15:46:56

That's interesting, johanna, about PG Wodehouse. I've never heard of an alternative source for the phrase before.

Nonu Sun 02-Sep-12 15:48:29

Me neither , what book was that in ? I have most of his .

johanna Sun 02-Sep-12 15:55:59

Psmith Journalist?
1915?

JO4 Sun 02-Sep-12 16:01:50

'Elementary my dear Watson' is from Sherlock Homes!

Nothing to do with P.G. Wodehouse. grin

JO4 Sun 02-Sep-12 16:06:37

but only in a film

grin

Nonu Sun 02-Sep-12 16:08:22

Like it , I have to say I also thought it was Sherlock Holmes !

vampirequeen Sun 02-Sep-12 16:41:02

Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" in any of the stories by Conan Doyle. However, that phrase has been used frequently in the movies and was even mistakenly cited in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations for 1937 and 1948. The actual quotation is as follows:

"I have the advantage of knowing your habits, my dear Watson," said he. "When your round is a short one you walk, and when it is a long one you use a hansom. As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom."
"Excellent!" I cried.
"Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbour, because the latter has missed the one little point which is the basis of the deduction. The same may be said, my dear fellow, for the effect of some of these little sketches of yours, which is entirely meretricious, depending as it does upon your retaining in your own hands some factors in the problem which are never imparted to the reader.
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1893)
Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" (Doubleday p. 412)

www.bestofsherlock.com/top-10-sherlock-quotes.htm#elementary

Anagram Sun 02-Sep-12 16:46:17

But PG Wodehouse did use the phrase mentioned in the OP in his 1915 book, 'PSmith Journalist', as johanna has said.

Greatnan Sun 02-Sep-12 16:48:07

Films have a lot to answer for - I remember 'Objective Burma' where Errol Flynn rescued Burma single-handedly - the British were apparently not involved.
I don't like film or TV makers taking liberties with my favourite authors - Austen, Hardy and Eliot - but I have to say that the latest attempts have been very good.

numberplease Sun 02-Sep-12 17:29:00

James Cagney once said in an interview that he never said "You dirty rat".

Anagram Sun 02-Sep-12 17:33:38

Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca.

Nonu Sun 02-Sep-12 17:44:51

The character IIs Lund said play for me Sam

Bogart said You played it for her , play it for me , play it

absentgrana Sun 02-Sep-12 20:10:49

"Crisis. What crisis?" What James Callaghan actually said in that difficult January in 1979 was, "I don't think other people in the world share the view there is a mounting chaos". The Sun had other ideas – and short space for their headlines.

johanna Mon 03-Sep-12 20:54:00

absent
You are very mischievous , just working your way down the page?
It is page 521 in my Edition. grin grin grin