Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Where has the word "sitting" gone

(106 Posts)
pammygran Sun 15-Jul-12 12:41:03

I had a text from a friend saying" I am SAT at the airport"..thought it should be "I am SITTING at an airport"?..also when someone says STOOD instead of STANDING...I read somewhere that this is a North/South thing? Any "Thunks"? !!

glammanana Sun 15-Jul-12 12:45:52

pammygran I think this is just shortened "text" speak to be honest,I don't think that it is a North/South divide attitude.smile

pammygran Sun 15-Jul-12 12:49:54

I have heard it on the BBC!

Anagram Sun 15-Jul-12 12:54:37

I've heard it all over the place! confused

Bags Sun 15-Jul-12 13:17:23

Wait for it!...

Brace yourselves!....

I've...

I've...

I've heard it on gransnet!!! shock

[Runs for cover]

wink

JessM Sun 15-Jul-12 14:02:46

I think "sat" always been around as in "sat on my a* watching the athletics"
It has a slightly different nuance to "sitting" in my book.
Are we sitting comfortably children?
Didn't the BBC talk posh in those days

jeni Sun 15-Jul-12 14:08:57

The gran sat on the mat?

whenim64 Sun 15-Jul-12 14:18:47

Language moves on and using 'sat' instead of 'sitting' does occasionally sound right, even though it's not gramatically correct.

Anagram Sun 15-Jul-12 14:41:50

What about 'laying', though as in 'I was laying down in bed...' confused
Or 'I was laid in bed...'

Mamie Sun 15-Jul-12 16:10:14

I looked it up on one of the grammar forums and it said that although sitting is correct, sat is often used when we want to convey humour. That sounds right to me - was it Les Dawson who used to say "I was sat sitting...."

Annobel Sun 15-Jul-12 16:21:20

It precedes text speak by years. And I believe it to be feature of Northern speech, as in Corrie.

glammanana Sun 15-Jul-12 16:25:23

Woops !! thats me wrong again.grin

Bags Sun 15-Jul-12 16:26:48

As in "What ya doin' sat thur like cheese a' fourpence when ya could be 'elpin' yu moom, ya daft 'a'p'orth?"

Bags Sun 15-Jul-12 16:28:06

Ahoy! Biker! You'll understand, won't you? grin

jeni Sun 15-Jul-12 16:34:35

And black country. There was Eli, sat theyer, lookin as daft as a brush, ower kid!

JessM Sun 15-Jul-12 16:44:53

I agree it is not a recent usage but a long standing one.

granjura Sun 15-Jul-12 17:11:57

Maybe we should all be a bit more tolerant of regionalism?

As a 'furiner' I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard 'I were stood standing there' - lol.

Love the variety it brings to language- providing the context/register is appropriate. Informal talk between friends should allow for this.

jeni Sun 15-Jul-12 17:14:33

Yow shud cum tae the black country!

Gagagran Sun 15-Jul-12 17:17:18

Wasn't it Hilda Baker who was "sat sitting"?

Mamie Sun 15-Jul-12 18:11:31

Yes OH thinks it was Hilda Baker as well - and our Eli. "Nearest and Dearest" at Pledge's Pickles, we think.

gracesmum Sun 15-Jul-12 23:19:25

Surely "sitting" and "standing" are present participles and used with the auxiliary verb "to be"in the present tense in the continuous present or with the past tense of "to be" to make an imperfect. "Stood "and "Sat" are past tenses and only used correctly in isolation or as a past participle in the perfect tense.
I sit at the front when I go to church/
I am sitting have a glass of wine/
I sat beside him on the park bench/
I have sat here many times/
I was sitting in the corner when the phone rang, etc.
Regional or dialect variations are perfectly correct in context, but now seem to be taking over. End of rant.

granjura Mon 16-Jul-12 11:38:37

Jenni I lived in Stoke for a while - and worked in an Engineering firm there as PA/translator to MD. Learnt a lot of local dialect in my early days in UK, lol. Followed by Leicestershire, which was interesting too, lol.

First day in first teaching job - an 11 year old from Braunstone, a (in) famous Estate in Leicester asked me 'Miss, why cain't you speak proper like what we do?' - well, yes, indeed Abigail, lol.

gracesmum Mon 16-Jul-12 11:50:24

Re "laying" and "lying" :
Laying is a transitive verb, i.e. it has an object - the hen laid an egg, I laid my burden down etc
Lying is an intransitive verb, i.e. there can be no object, so you lie down, a dog lies in the sun and a book lies on the table until I pick it up.
I get so cross at the use of "laying" for "lying" - especially by educated people who should know better.
Ah well, second rant over.

gracesmum Mon 16-Jul-12 15:47:33

Well, that seems to have banged that one on the head!! Final word on lie and lay:
Wasn't it Dorothy Parker who made a comment about if all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end she wouldn't be at all surprised.

JessM Mon 16-Jul-12 16:17:06

You're allowed to rant - it's in Pedant's Corner.