Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

over-use of phrases

(81 Posts)
suzieq Sat 04-Jun-11 22:42:13

My husband and I got sucked into watching the Great British Menu over the past few weeks and I found myself, every day, being so frustrated with the limited vocabulary being used. The most common phrase that really annoys me is "wow factor" (I can hardly bear to type the phrase!).

Joan Sun 05-Jun-11 02:25:56

Modern life has encompassed lots of useless phrases, cliches and plain bad English. I don't watch cooking shows - there are too many and there is too much nastiness from chefs.

One of the phrases I love to hate - 'at this moment in time' = now

numberplease Mon 06-Jun-11 16:16:28

I hate the way the word "basically" gets used willy-nilly these days.

twizzle Mon 06-Jun-11 16:43:36

'At the end of the day' is another one.

Annobel Mon 06-Jun-11 16:44:14

Could the BBC please ban the phrase: 'without further ado'? It crops up in every episode of 'Put your money where your mouth is' and I start itching when I know it's coming!

MrsJamJam Mon 06-Jun-11 17:11:46

Anyone who peppers every sentence with 'like'. 'Basically' is another overused phrase. My irritation threshold is definitely getting lower as I age!

ChrisGoddard Mon 06-Jun-11 19:01:01

"Thinking outside the box", "leveraging", "the elephant in the room", "We're all in this together" - can't make up my mind which of these phrases annoys me the most.

Totrirulody Mon 06-Jun-11 20:44:33

Iconic and closure........Everything is iconic and everyone needs closure!

Joan Mon 06-Jun-11 22:29:59

'Iconic' reminded me of a seminar when I was doing a linguistics course late in life. The professor asked what an icon really was, and I said it was a religious painting in orthodox christianity. The young students looked at me in pity and contempt, until the prof. told them I was exactly correct.

Annobel Tue 07-Jun-11 07:29:48

If I'd said, in my previous post,'I literally start itching' I would have been repeating an error that metaphorically makes me itch.

absentgrana Thu 09-Jun-11 11:25:57

Not only is the expression "in the firing line" used far too often, but it is almost always used incorrectly. Thos in the firing line are the ones with the guns. Those risking being hit by bullets are in the line of fire. Neither of these ever applies to cosseted cabinet ministers.

greenmossgiel Thu 09-Jun-11 19:20:59

'Basically', 'in the loop', 'thinking outside of the box', 'wake up and smell the coffee', 'at the end of the day', 'singing from the same hymn-sheet', 'at this moment in time' OMG and it's meaning, 'Oh my god', 'Wow', Where will it all end, I ask myself...it does me 'ead in!!! grin

yogagran Thu 09-Jun-11 21:09:03

110%

JessM Thu 09-Jun-11 21:31:16

The word Unique used inappropriately. It either is or it isn't . Can't be really unique or almost unique.

Has anyone else noticed the epidemic of "Yeh/no..." as the opening of sentences . Sometimes it means "Yes I agree that is not the case" but sometimes it is just there...hmm

Eleanorre Thu 09-Jun-11 22:41:44

Have you noticed that events now just impact and not impact upon something

. I hate to hear that a community '' is coming to terms '' with an event , how do they know ?

My OH goes mad at the wrong use of fewer and less .

I hate ''due to'' it should only be used in regard to money .

And how about '' I done '' instead of I did ''

I could go on for ever.

absentgrana Fri 10-Jun-11 11:45:36

I've just remembered how "deliver" makes me seethe. Postmen and midwives deliver, not politicians.

booboo Fri 10-Jun-11 15:46:21

Everyone on tv or in the media seems to have acquired a 'passion' for something. This could be for food, cooking, travel or something completely mundane like ironing. However, I have yet to hear someone apply it to sex!

supernana Fri 10-Jun-11 16:18:16

How about people when being interviewed repeatedly saying - like I say when they haven't said a thing up to that point - and politicians wittering on about let's be clear - when in fact they are saying, um, I'm not too sure about this matter, so let's fill in the blanks...

Annobel Fri 10-Jun-11 16:43:42

Or, Supernana, what about 'with great respect' when the speaker means nothing of the sort?

supernana Fri 10-Jun-11 16:57:13

We think alike, Annobel. With great respect possibly means - Tosh! Pay attention! - I've better things to do and think about than waste my valuable time on such trivialities...

pompa Fri 10-Jun-11 21:27:50

Yogagran, I agree with you 120% about 110% smile, my other pet hate is "know what I mean" , i feel like saying, no I'm not exactly sure, please explain. My other dislike is the word Hi instead of Hello, which is annoying because I keep saying HI, and then cringe after saying it.confused

greenmossgiel Fri 10-Jun-11 21:58:05

Hello pompa! I just won't type 'Hi' on anything at all, such as emails or texts and if I meet people in the street they get a 'Hello'! smile

jogginggirl Fri 10-Jun-11 22:16:07

For me it's definitely the 'j' word = journey........... Drives me nuts!!!!!

belinda Fri 10-Jun-11 22:37:43

Put your own stamp on it.....ahhh

helshea Sat 11-Jun-11 05:52:04

"give me a break"!