Gransnet forums

News & politics

Michelle Obama turns 50

(31 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 17-Jan-14 09:52:09

Doesn't she look great? People in the public eye are so carefully scrutinised as they age. Glad I only had my close family nearby for my 50th and not the international press identifying every wrinkle. Wish I'd done a bit more of a splurge though (if only for Kate Moss's bank account - do you think we could club together and do a Necker Island party!). 60th coming up so I suppose I could start planning for that. Does anybody have any particularly memorable birthday celebrations? wine Do you regret not making the most of your last 'big' birthday? My friend has wryly said that at this age it's best to celebrate the mid-decades too - just in case!

Kiora Fri 17-Jan-14 10:12:34

Yea she looks great. I looked not exactly great but very good at 50. It's the last 10 years that's done the damage. blush

LyndaW Fri 17-Jan-14 10:19:18

Yes, I agree Kiora. I know I shouldn't obsess but the wrinkles do seem to be gaining momentum at a rapid rate at the moment. My granddaughter seems to like them though. Calls them 'stripes' - like the Tiger who came to Tea? wink

absent Fri 17-Jan-14 10:20:47

I think she's a terrific woman in lots of ways but turning 50 is not exactly news is it? You'd think the media would have something more important to report.

Nonu Fri 17-Jan-14 10:56:06

well with all the money and expertise at her disposal , she SHOULD be looking good . something wrong if she did not !
wink

JessM Fri 17-Jan-14 18:10:06

Yes she looks great and would look beautiful with less than half the effort.

absent Fri 17-Jan-14 18:24:31

Two words Nonu – Barbara Bush.

Ana Fri 17-Jan-14 18:30:21

But Barbara Bush didn't care what she looked like! grin

Nonu Fri 17-Jan-14 18:33:41

ANA , [wink ] & giggle

absent Fri 17-Jan-14 18:36:32

Then Ana, according to "Nonu's* post the must have been "something wrong". After all, she has far more money at her disposal than Michelle Obama.

Ana Fri 17-Jan-14 18:39:02

I interpreted Nonu's post as implying that something would be wrong if, having spent all that money, she still didn't look good. Michelle Obama obviously cares a great deal about her looks and fitness - perhaps Barbara Bush had her mind on higher things...

Kiora Fri 17-Jan-14 18:46:29

I have a very dear friend who doesn't care what she looks like. She has no mirrors in the house apart from the bathroom. She once told me she gets up in the morning, showers, brushes her teeth and her hair and off she goes. I so admire her self confidence. Actually she is not unlike Barbara Bush to look at. She looks comfortable, she's happy and maybe not in a Michelle Obama glammy kind of way but I think she looks just wonderful. She cares deeply about lots of thing but not what she looks like.

Nonu Fri 17-Jan-14 19:18:48

To be perfectly frank , the first time I saw Barbara with George I thought she was his grandma , not his wife .

Joan Sat 18-Jan-14 03:46:00

I think she looks great - and very natural. She is an intelligent woman who had a good career before she had to become first lady.

I remember my 50th birthday bash at work: one lass loudly asked me how old I'd been when I gave up sex. I told her I'd let her know when I found out!. She was utterly horrified - apparently in the eyes of 20-somethings I should have been long past it. The others loved my answer though - especially the men.

thatbags Sat 18-Jan-14 07:43:24

I didn't know what Barbara Bush (the one born in 1925) looked like so I googled her. I think she has a great face. Don't be so judgmental, absent. Why are "first ladies" judged on their looks?

Never mind. I just find it a bit nauseating.

thatbags Sat 18-Jan-14 07:45:08

Well, what a surprise that a healthy, intelligent woman looks fine at fifty, and would even without the posh frocks etc!

Snarl.

On another thread, let's talk about everyday sexism, shall we?

LizG Sat 18-Jan-14 07:58:34

You hum it and we'll sing it thatbags.

happy birthday Mrs Obama. Wonder what her hubby bought her. Mine gave me a motor scooter which I had wanted since the year dot. Sadly I was too frightened to enjoy it.

thatbags Sat 18-Jan-14 08:04:08

Actually, just thought... it's not sexism/genderism because we (i.e. people) talk about Barack's looks as well. No, it's ageism. My point about a fit, healthy, intelligent woman looking fine at fifty stands. What else would she bloody look?

Yes, I think she's great too.

Iam64 Sat 18-Jan-14 10:29:20

I'm a fan of Michelle Obama as well. She looks fit, healthy and confident. BUT I just read on line, there are rumours of marital tension, as a result of alleged affairs by Mr O. If so, no wonder Michelle O looked so teed off at the Mandela ceremony, with Mr O appearing to flit with the Danish PM.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Jan-14 10:46:26

I don't think it's ageist/sexist to discuss in a light-hearted manner the appearance of a public figure.

I like her but do think she wears a bit too much make-up and false eyelashes.

She's also not a shrinking-violet .... she's out there dancing, keep-fit with kids, chat shows, etc.

Stansgran Sat 18-Jan-14 17:53:19

I think Barbara Bush looks like a distinguished intelligent woman. If her DGDis lucky she might inherit some of her looks. I don't like Michelle Obama's dress style .it's too studied for my taste. I was always a fan of the Dorothy Macmillan style of dressing. Sort of two fingers at the style police.

Nonu Sat 18-Jan-14 18:54:51

I think Barbara Bush looks like a really old granny , wonder what point she was trying to make ?

Ana Sat 18-Jan-14 19:08:42

Well, she is 88, Nonu! grin

Nonu Sat 18-Jan-14 19:22:22

Now yes, but I am talking about years gone by.

She went grey prematuly but it slightly surprised me that given the youth
culture Stateside ,she didn't colour up.

Ana Sat 18-Jan-14 19:47:17

She obviously didn't buy into the youth culture, and I salute her for it I must admit!