Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kirstie Allsopp

(35 Posts)
sunseeker Mon 06-Jan-14 10:10:00

Kirstie Allsopp has said that most women secretly love ironing!! I have only known one woman who loved ironing and she didn't go to work and employed a cleaner!! I have always looked on ironing as a necessary evil and with the modern fabrics now becoming less necessary. I will admit to ironing sheets, not because I enjoy it but I do think getting into bed with ironed sheets is lovely!

Am I the only one who thinks like this? Do other GNs like ironing? Should I hang my head in shame? Should the wealthy Kirstie Allsopp who probably only does ironing for a photo shoot shut the hell up!!!

Charleygirl Mon 06-Jan-14 10:16:42

I loathe ironing and would never buy a linen garment because of the amount of ironing involved. It is months since I last used an iron. What does Kirstie know?

JessM Mon 06-Jan-14 10:23:32

Oh FFS! Next week she will probably be saying that women love scrubbing wooden floors on their hands and knees. All the better if their hands are worked raw, like the good old days. And did the weekly wash by hand including wringing out the sheets. Wonder if she does her own ironing hmm
How come men don't secretly love ironing too?
And don't start you lot. You may like ironing and if so good luck to you, but that does not give her the right to say that women in general do!

nightowl Mon 06-Jan-14 10:30:31

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10551879/Kirstie-Allsopp-women-secretly-enjoy-doing-mundane-household-chores.html

Just had to check this out to see what she actually said. It's as stupid as I suspected it might be. Forgive us Kirsty if we are less than impressed at being told what women enjoy doing by someone who 'enjoys ironing when she gets the chance' and manages to 'fit in the school run a couple of times a week'. Oh and she admits it's hard to juggle her fitness regime around the demands of Childcare. She clearly has no idea about the reality of most mothers' lives, whether they are stay at home mums or working mums, nor does she know what juggling really means in this context. I think she would be better to keep quiet and get back to whatever it is she does as a day job.

nightowl Mon 06-Jan-14 10:31:29

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10551879/Kirstie-Allsopp-women-secretly-enjoy-doing-mundane-household-chores.html

Just had to check this out to see what she actually said. It's as stupid as I suspected it might be. Forgive us Kirsty if we are less than impressed at being told what women enjoy doing by someone who 'enjoys ironing when she gets the chance' and manages to 'fit in the school run a couple of times a week'. Oh and she admits it's hard to juggle her fitness regime around the demands of Childcare. She clearly has no idea about the reality of most mothers' lives, whether they are stay at home mums or working mums, nor does she know what juggling really means in this context. I think she would be better to keep quiet and get back to whatever it is she does as a day job.

annodomini Mon 06-Jan-14 10:31:38

What planet does KA come from? I do everything I can to avoid ironing. However, the creases in trousers don't iron themselves!

nightowl Mon 06-Jan-14 10:32:07

Oops perhaps I should get back to my day job too!

LizG Mon 06-Jan-14 10:32:12

I hate ironing and always buy non iron clothes for me. OH used to wear a clean shirt every day BR (before retirement) but after 30 years of ironing them I rebelled and he learned how to do it himself.

Mind you I used to enjoy scrubbing Marley floor tiles - very therapeutic - but I can't get on my hands and knees any more.

Charleygirl Mon 06-Jan-14 10:32:56

Well said JessM. She does not live in our world. She probably hires a retinue of staff.

whenim64 Mon 06-Jan-14 10:39:11

She's a sweet girl/woman, but not in touch with reality. I can see why she enjoys ironing occasionally, if she only does it for fun. For thirty five years, I had a dishwasher and 'enjoyed' washing dishes at other people's houses because it was a novelty. Now I don't have a dishwasher, it's a different matter. Who likes scrubbing pans? I put that on a par with ironing clothes.

Marelli Mon 06-Jan-14 10:39:32

What??? Of for goodness sake! I finally had to give in and do a tiny bit of ironing yesterday. It had lain in the little basket in the front room for a couple of months. After all that time the pile consisted of DH's shirt, and a duvet cover that was too wrinkled to get away with putting it on the bed.

sunseeker Mon 06-Jan-14 10:41:30

I am much cheered by the GNs response! I do hate it when someone who lives a very privileged lifestyle starts to pontificate about what the ordinary working woman does/should do. When I was working I would leave my ironing board set up in my spare room and iron things as and when I needed them! Many times my DH and I would go out for an evening with him wearing a "warm" shirt!!

I would like to see her swap with a normal working mum for a month - first I don't think she would agree to do it and if she did she would give up after a week.

shysal Mon 06-Jan-14 10:48:03

Has anyone else noticed that KA has many dresses in the same style, she must choose the fabrics then have them made. They are gathered at the neck so would be dificult to iron, I bet she doesn't do them!
I iron nothing but my starched sheets because, like you sunseeker, I love the feel of them. When I was young I discovered that I could fold T-shirts then sit on them instead of ironing them, very effective!

Grannyknot Mon 06-Jan-14 10:57:30

I loathe ironing and seldom do it.

sunseeker Mon 06-Jan-14 10:57:58

Aren't T-shirts supposed to be casual and a bit creased anyway grin

Judthepud2 Mon 06-Jan-14 11:02:18

I actually do enjoy ironing as long as there isn't too much. blush There is something therapeutic about it for me. Love listening to the radio while doing it too especially radio plays. Thank you Radio4Extra!

Each to their own. I wouldn't condemn anyone for NOT doing it. When my 4 children were all at school, the weekend ironing of school uniforms plus DH and my work clothes was horrendous!

jinglbellrocks Mon 06-Jan-14 11:06:17

I lost all patience with Kirsty Allsop when I heard her say on the radio that people should stop complaining about losing their electricity over the Xmas period. Said we should think back to our childhoods and realise how lucky we are today.

She obviously did n't spend a cold miserable Xmas. hmm

KatyK Mon 06-Jan-14 11:07:08

Kirsty can come to my house at the moment and do the load I have to do, as DD has broken her foot and I am doing ours and DD's SIL's and DGD's too!

Soutra Mon 06-Jan-14 11:08:49

I am sure I won't be the first to offer my unique de-stressing package to her (for a small fee) of course - Kirstie, welcome to my ironing basket!! grin

Kiora Mon 06-Jan-14 11:19:13

I love a clean well organised household.. But I hate all housework. I haven't got the 'touch' either. It's a constant struggle for me. I think she probably makes today's young women to feel terrible. Childcare, housework, going to the gym, spending hours to look just so, visiting nail bars, having hair extensions, having whiter teeth than you neighbour. Not to mention being a wiz at baking, cooking and the odd bit of gardening and indulging in their favourite pastime ironing. She should just shut up

KatyK Mon 06-Jan-14 11:21:17

I agree with you Kiora. I love my house to be clean and well organised but I hate every aspect of getting it there (not that it is really but I do OK I think).

dollie Mon 06-Jan-14 11:30:46

ironing whats that?

ginny Mon 06-Jan-14 11:33:56

I'm another one who likes a clean and tidy home but doesn't really enjoy making it that way. Kirsty says she enjoys ironing when she has a chance to do it so maybe having the choice is key to enjoying it. Ironing. and keeping the cooker clean are my pet housework hates. I used to enjoy watching Kirstys' programmes but the not the latest ones. She is becoming quite condescending. The Christmas crafts one was dismal. I was also disappointed with the ones where she competed in shows. She won so many prizes with entries that looked nowhere as good as others. .

Tegan Mon 06-Jan-14 11:39:54

I had an urge to iron something a few weeks ago [it happens to me sometimes]. Went to the cupboard where the iron is kept and there was no iron. All I can assume is that it was my sons and when he moved into his own house a couple of years ago he took it with him. I think whoever is guiding Kirstie career wise needs to have a bit of a rethink. I do like the girl, but she's pushing it a bit too far now. And it won't be long before she's named and shamed for having nannies/cleaners etc etc [I'm making an assumption here and could be wrong].

Bellasnana Mon 06-Jan-14 11:44:50

Just off to do my ironing which I have been trying to avoid for days. I do not enjoy anything about it and especially loathe having to put it all away when it is done. angry