Gransnet forums

News & politics

RIP Phil Everly

(28 Posts)
Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 06:19:46

So sad to hear this news. He was a wonderful singer and together The Everly Brothers were the greatest rock singers ever in my opinion (and that of Rolling Stone magazine.) We still listen to their tracks all the time and were lucky enough to see them a couple of times in Bournemouth on the reunion tours. OH first saw them in the early sixties. Their music will be playing in our house today and glasses will be raised.
sad

sherish Sat 04-Jan-14 07:07:46

Yes, I was sorry to hear the news too. I remember singing with my friends at school in the playground 'Cathy's Clown', thinking we were harmonising like they did.

kittylester Sat 04-Jan-14 07:08:13

My cousin (6 years older) used to play the Everley Brothers, among others, so they were part of my introduction to pop music. Such a sweet sound. sad

Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 08:40:44

What were your favourite songs? I love Dream, Living Too Close To The Ground and Let It Be Me. Their harmonies were really amazing, always in tune and perfect diction, so you could hear every word. We have the Arena documentary and watched it again just before Christmas.

whenim64 Sat 04-Jan-14 08:59:08

Ah, sad to hear this news. My favourites were Cathy's Clown and When Will I Be Loved.

Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 10:24:41

So, we are spending this wet morning listening to the songs while we make the year's marmalade. Need to add Walk Right Back and Dream River to the favourite's list.

Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 10:29:04

And of course the very appropriate So Sad.

KatyK Sat 04-Jan-14 10:45:59

Found the original thread now blush. Loved the Everlys

Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 10:51:29

Some lovely tributes on Twitter. Great to see their influence on the Beatles acknowledged. Nice quote from Bob Dylan too, "they started it all".

glammanana Sat 04-Jan-14 10:59:01

Part of my teenage years we loved them and their sound,remembering :
Bye Bye Love
Wake uo Little Susie
The Price of Love
Ebony Eyes
and so so many more,thanks Everley's flowers

glammanana Sat 04-Jan-14 10:59:48

Wake Up Little Susie (spelling) ^^

Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 11:20:23

Which was banned on some radio stations for being risqué glammanana!
KatyK if you set your bookmark to the Active page you can see what is already there. Not that it matters, he deserves two threads!

Granny23 Sat 04-Jan-14 12:00:07

My all time greatest too, not just for the singing but also their guitar playing - fantastic - which is why The Price of Love would be my pick as favourite track. Sister, friend and I saw them in Edinburgh on the Reunion tour. We sang along to every number, the soundtrack of our teenage years, with tears pouring down our faces, so emotional. It is notable that there are no Everlys' 'tribute' acts on the circuit. No one can emulate their unique sound.

glammanana Sat 04-Jan-14 12:10:31

Yes I remember that happening Mamie it happened to quite a few recording artists then didn't it.
The Troggs : I Can't Control Myself
The R Stones : Lets Spend the Night Together
Ricky Valence : Tell Laura I Love Her, this was banned because it sang a bout a young girl dying in a stock car race.
Such a change in attitude now when a lot of music is threaded with questionable expletives.hmm

Mamie Sat 04-Jan-14 12:37:12

I do hope the Beeb will show the Arena documentary again. There are recordings of them singing with their parents and their Dad singing with his brothers who were miners and sang this fantastic gospel / folk / hillbilly mixture. There is a huge family reunion in Kentucky and a wonderful bit with Chet Atkins where he plays an amazing riff and Don just says, "I can't do that".

Iam64 Sat 04-Jan-14 12:48:59

This was the first news I heard on the Radio this morning. I also loved their harmonies. A real backdrop to my teenage years.

soop Sat 04-Jan-14 13:06:45

My sister and I would dance to the Everly brothers music. Our favourite was Bye Bye Love...

dustyangel Sat 04-Jan-14 13:08:05

We were talking about them at Christmas when a friend asked who was your schooldays heart throb. Hers was Elvis, mine The Everly Brothers though I think it was more their music than them personally.

I haven't seen the Arena programme, I'll keep a lookout for it.

Granny23 Sat 04-Jan-14 13:24:59

'My sister and I would dance to the Everly brothers music' - Ditto, Soop that was another great thing about their music. A good steady rhythm that was very danceable, often a slow jive.

Gagagran Sat 04-Jan-14 13:58:39

They were the best ever at close harmony - never been anyone to beat them. I went to see them live in about 1960 or 61 and only one of them turned up! He sang on stage on his own but it just wasn't the same!

soop Sat 04-Jan-14 14:00:29

Granny23 Yes...a slow jive...with my father shouting..."bloody awful row"...but then he said the same of Elvis and the rest. What did he know...smile

soop Sat 04-Jan-14 14:01:13

Wake Up Little Susie was a favourite. My sister being a Susan.

merlotgran Sat 04-Jan-14 15:11:50

At the beginning of December I made a compilation CD of not so well known Christmas music. I downloaded the Everly Brothers, 'Bring A Torch, Jeanette Isabella.' I'd never heard it before and everyone liked it.

Cathy's Clown and Walk Right Back were my favourites.

KatyK Sat 04-Jan-14 15:19:02

Oh thank you Mamie I didn't know you could to that.

Grannyknot Sat 04-Jan-14 17:00:55

Mamie I love and always loved the Everley Brothers, even in the days of rock 'n roll when it was not that cool to admit to being a fan. I do hope they re-run that documentary which includes the family, will look out for it, is sounds wonderful.

RIP Phil. As someone said recently, if only 'RIP' stood for 'Repeat If Possible'.