Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nelson Mandela

(80 Posts)
annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 22:12:55

A very great man died today. It was obvious that it was only a matter of time, but I felt immediately bereft when I saw the headline. How I hope that his legacy is long felt in South Africa and throughout the continent. RIP

LizG Thu 05-Dec-13 22:17:16

A great age for a wonderrful man sad

glassortwo Thu 05-Dec-13 22:19:36

Sad day for us all, anno my feeling too.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 22:37:36

I will try to get this thread merged with the other one, we posted almost at the same time.

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-13 22:44:25

The great man has gone home. expected yet I feel bereft. So many memories of all those years then his walk to freedom with Winnie made the decades of campaigning so worthwhile . My most cherished memory is the very elderly lady who queued to cast her very first vote in the first election following his release.

Let us remember too all those who fought with him and for him who also have gone home.

May he rest in peace

gillybob Thu 05-Dec-13 22:52:41

Nelson Mandella is finally "free" . What a great man he was. smile

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 23:00:10

He always seemed to me to be without ego.

overthehill Thu 05-Dec-13 23:35:28

A death of course sad.

However the news channels have nothing else on he is not British so why does this take precedence over our news of the day?

Galen Thu 05-Dec-13 23:42:26

Because he was such an emblem of our age.
On a par with Winston Churhilll

Anne58 Fri 06-Dec-13 00:05:47

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTtINHRja4k

Nelliepara10 Fri 06-Dec-13 00:15:17

When he was released from prison, he came through the mist. It was a magical moment.

A wonderful man who instead of spending the rest of his life being bitter or angry became one of the greatest statesman we have ever known.

His aims were reconciliation, equality and peace. His ideals changed South Africa. If only other leaders would do the same. In so many countries hatred is encouraged.

I hope he is remembered and his ideals copied

bluebell Fri 06-Dec-13 00:29:45

Overthehill - I take it you must be very young, or have spent the last 50-60 years living on Mars

laidback Fri 06-Dec-13 02:19:18

He was the Dude!

'education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world'

'For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others'

He was an icon of humanity and a truely great man.

Joan Fri 06-Dec-13 03:16:42

We all knew it was going to happen soon, but it is still immensely sad. He was the greatest man of our lifetime, imho. I have watched reactions from world leaders, and I feel Obama said it best:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/nelson-mandela/full-text-barack-obamas-speech-about-nelson-mandelas-death/article15796849/

It is dominating our news in Australia, as it should be. Local matters fade into insignificance when such a man dies. I always felt he was the conscience of South Africa: perhaps now his legacy will be the conscience of the world.

Joan Fri 06-Dec-13 03:17:25

Sorry - forgot to blue it.
www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/nelson-mandela/full-text-barack-obamas-speech-about-nelson-mandelas-death/article15796849/

NfkDumpling Fri 06-Dec-13 07:20:02

A sad day, but enevitable. I almost feel happy for him that he's 'made it'. He's been dying for so long.

Like overthehill I think the news rather went too overboard. I suspect they've had all the stuff prepared to go out when he died and had decided to go with it regardless. I would much rather have known how much of Britain was sinking last night in the storms than listen to President Obama.

ffinnochio Fri 06-Dec-13 07:29:43

Rest In Peace Mandela.

Brendawymms Fri 06-Dec-13 07:50:56

Agree with NfkDumpling. A great man who inspired many, was truly respectful of all, but he was a man with normal strengths and weaknesses. He was not a deity.

bluebell Fri 06-Dec-13 07:58:44

Part of the coverage is due to the sense of overwhelming guilt and shame that so many of the Establishment feel about their attitude and behaviour towards apartheid in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The MCC and a whole host of 'sportsmen' who were willing to play in SA ( and be handsomely paid for it), Thatcher and her anti- sanctions stance, Cameron going on a jolly in the 80s on a tr ip paid for by an anti- sanctions lobbying firm, Blair completely silent on the issue in his student years ( unlike Brown), Conservative students wearing 'Hang Mandela' t-shirts. For me , I've always felt that attitudes towards apartheid SA were one of the defining left/ right issues of our generation. After his release, there was a really hypocritical rewriting of history and today apartheid supporters are trying to whitewash their immoral support of what was truly one of the most evil regimes in the history of the world. But apart from those on guilt trips wanting to brush up their anti apartheid credentials , there are those of us who marched, petitioned and boycotted goods to support those amazingly brave people who fought and suffered and died to rid the world of this evil and today we want to remind everyone of what Mandela stood for and what humankind is capable of, so sad as the storms are, it is absolutely right and proper that Mandela's death is being given the coverage it is - had he not died, yesterday's premiere of his film would have been marked by DM coverage of Kate's thigh high split dress. How short our memories are of apartheid

MiceElf Fri 06-Dec-13 08:06:28

Well said, Bluebell, Mandela was was one of the greatest human beings who has ever lived. His capacity for forgiveness is an inspiration and example to us all. His great spirit will live on in the hearts of all of us and down the generations.

Aka Fri 06-Dec-13 08:07:00

I see where Overthehill is coming from. I too am deeply saddened to hear of Mandela's death. He was truly a great man who moved the world forward in their thinking.
What I deplore is the media frenzy which means we will be subjected to everything over and over and over again, almost ad nauseum. I would prefer to watch a well-put together tribute documentary than some of the dross currently saturating our TV screens.

whenim64 Fri 06-Dec-13 08:12:05

One of the most memorable days of my life was spent sitting eagerly in front of the TV, waiting to get that first glimpse of him leaving prison. He has done more to quash apartheid and racism than any other man, and it's fitting that so much time should be given over to remembering what he achieved to liberate black South Africans. It's great to see the citizens of Soweto, black and white, gathering in the streets to celebrate his life and remind their politicians that there is much more to do to relieve their poverty. But for Mandela, they would not be able to protest or gather peacefully like this now.

JessM Fri 06-Dec-13 08:18:32

Yes well akaspeaking as one who was heartily relieved to be out of the country during the deadThatcherfest I agree that the media over-cover some things.
But surely one day of looking back is not unreasonable for a man that many consider to be the towering figure of our lifetime.
overhill I am sorely tempted to suggest you do all kinds of things. But moving to a country (and there are lots to choose from) where only news of their own little country is given any coverage in the news, would seem to be an appropriate suggestion.

Aka Fri 06-Dec-13 08:19:02

But it was not just Mandela was it? There were other young, black men, such as Steve Biko, who died in the cause. I do hope they will be remembered too, but I doubt it.

baubles Fri 06-Dec-13 08:20:35

I took my children, then aged 12 & 9 to see and hear him on his Freedom of Glasgow visit to the city in 1993. It is a day which has lived and will continue to live in our memories. We spoke to them about the evils of apartheid and of how great a man Mandela was.

I'm happy with the coverage, it's no less than he deserves. Lest we forget.