Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris and the ludicrous analogy

(48 Posts)
Mamie Fri 29-Nov-13 07:07:29

He said that in a competitive society "the harder you shake the pack the easier it will be for some cornflakes to get to the top".
Does he not realise that the rest of the pack will still contain - er - cornflakes?
Here is Michael White on the subject:
www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/28/boris-johnson-iq-intelligence-gordon-gekko
Do wisdom and common sense count as well, Boris?

Grannyknot Fri 29-Nov-13 07:52:37

Hopefully, Mamie, hopefully. I'm married to a Mensa member who is finally approaching something like displaying some common sense from time to time. He is quite wise though!

Mamie Fri 29-Nov-13 08:05:47

Well I certainly wouldn't accuse Boris of having any common sense! Of course IQ is not fixed and changes with nutrition, education, self-confidence etc. I think empathy, wisdom, emotional literacy, reflectiveness, thoughtfulness, ability to translate ideas into practice are just (if not more) important in life.
Also, of course, in a shake-up the cornflake at the top of the pack may end up randomly broken at the bottom.
And the plastic toy was always at the bottom too.

Brendawymms Fri 29-Nov-13 08:18:04

My beloved elder daughter is very bright and has a PhD but was out to lunch when they handed out common sense. My younger daughter got all the common sense.

FlicketyB Fri 29-Nov-13 08:35:00

IQ and commercial acumen are not necessarily linked. If it were the most intelligent people in the world would be running all the big companies and governments. You know, people like; Alan Sugar, Tony Blair, David Cameron, Rupert Murdoch, George W Bush, all renowned for their towering intellects!! Look where having Gordon Brown, a man who I think really is highly intelligent, as Prime Minister, got us.

Not everyone in the world, including the brightest and most able, are driven by a lust for money. Look at all the brilliant researchers in universities all over the world, look at all the other brilliantly talented people we all know individually who have chosen to devote their lives to teaching, medicine, charitable causes and every other profession known. Even among the determinedly unemployed their are highly intelligent articulate people, who just can not be a***d, to do day's work.

Is not Boris himself a classic example of where a high IQ and common sense part company?

Gally Fri 29-Nov-13 08:58:09

Well, I know what he meant - just a muddled up analogy, but then I am not a PhD, a member of Mensa or a graduate either and my IQ is pretty middle of the road grin but I do realise that the toy drops to the bottom because it is heavier than a rice krispie wink. Thank heavens for common sense and high intelligence and how boring if everyone had both!

Grannyknot Fri 29-Nov-13 08:58:25

Mamie I agree with you. And I also had to educate my high IQ husband about intelligences other than logic, e.g kinetic intelligence, rhythmic intelligence, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

He only has half of the above, I have the other half! smile

Gally Fri 29-Nov-13 09:07:48

p.s. I like Boris - he has hidden depths wink

FlicketyB Fri 29-Nov-13 09:35:09

Personally, I think he has hidden shallows.

Mishap Fri 29-Nov-13 09:37:13

Don't forget that when you shake a cornflake packet, the ones that drop to the bottom finish up as dust.

I am married to a "nouseless boffin." He has a brain like a planet, but needs advice for the simplest household tasks!

Galen Fri 29-Nov-13 10:37:03

He reminds me of a scruffy well loved teddy bear!hmm

alternativegran Fri 29-Nov-13 10:50:17

My eldest daughter also has a PhD but perhaps four children keep her grounded.

Might I suggest a training course for politicians whatever their academic qualifications, look after four children (or to be kind two) on their own for a month without the help of cooks, cleaners, nannies etc., might bring some of them down to earth.

Aka Fri 29-Nov-13 10:50:57

IQ as measured by Mensa tests are outdated, and I speak as an ex-Mensa examiner/tester. Modern theories now tend towards multiple intelligences

Aka Fri 29-Nov-13 10:54:23

Oops grannyknot I missed your post!

Mishap Fri 29-Nov-13 11:37:27

Yes - we need a smattering of everything in order to get by happily.

I remember having my IQ tested at uni and I was way off the top of the scale in visuo-spacial/rhythm etc. and somewhere in the depths in mathematical concepts! I evened out as pretty normal for a uni student!

Gally Fri 29-Nov-13 12:26:13

I think if his shallows were hidden they might be noticed grin

Mamie Fri 29-Nov-13 13:06:28

I liked the Paul Lewis tweet.
Memo to Boris Johnson - there are 2 sorts of successful people. Clever ones who know they're lucky. And lucky ones who think they're clever.

I think we have plumbed the depths of his shallows many, many times.

absent Fri 29-Nov-13 18:09:46

The harder you shake the pack, the more cornflakes will end up as crumbs.

Eloethan Fri 29-Nov-13 18:24:49

I'm not sure IQ comes into it when looking at some of those that have acquired wealth or top jobs. It seems that who you know is every bit as important as what you know, and that a lack of concern for the wellbeing of other human beings and the environment come in handy too.

Eloethan Fri 29-Nov-13 18:42:41

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2013/11/29/the-uks-1-how-they-compare-with-other-major-states/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+org%2FlWWh+%28Tax+Research+UK+2%29

It looks like greed is alive and well in the UK anyway.

bluebell Fri 29-Nov-13 19:11:21

Look at all the money Mark Thatcher has made - who you know eh? He is intellectually as thick as......but mummy dear put in a good word!

Nonu Fri 29-Nov-13 19:23:55

Whisper it quietly , have you a little crush on Mark Thatcher , you have now mentioned him on 27/11, and 29/11 .
Go on you can tell us , you know you want to Bluebell !wink

Eloethan Fri 29-Nov-13 19:38:31

I think bluebell makes a very good point about Mark Thatcher which illustrates how wealth and "success" are not necessarily linked to high IQ. Mark Thatcher left Harrow with 3 'O' levels, following which he later took, and failed, his accountancy exams. He is now estimated to be worth £60m.

Tegan Fri 29-Nov-13 19:59:05

Should've left him in the desert imo. Does some of his money come from mummy's interest in selling cigarettes to third world countries?

absent Fri 29-Nov-13 21:45:56

Nonu No one could have a crush on Mark Thatcher. I really would rather drink the contents of my neighbour's colostomy bag than have anything to do with such a toe rag and I'll bet Bluebell loathes him just as much.