Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nigella drug use

(176 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 26-Nov-13 16:31:16

hmm
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10475835/Nigella-Lawson-allegedly-took-drugs-every-day-for-a-decade-court-told.html

I couldn't care a toss whether or not Nigella is or was a drug user, but there are allegations that she used with her teenage daughter Mimi. Which is just plain wrong in my book.

bluebell Tue 26-Nov-13 16:51:23

Well goodness me another druggie celeb - really really so surprised shock

Mishap Tue 26-Nov-13 16:55:18

The celeb drug culture is so pointless and sad. An in-law of mine used soft drugs when her children were around and the end product has been a young adult with a serious psychosis problem. How very stupid.

whenim64 Tue 26-Nov-13 16:57:41

Well, that explains the late night munchies at the fridge door! grin

Mamie Tue 26-Nov-13 16:58:38

Apparently the allegations have been made in an email from Saatchi. I think I will wait for the evidence before I rush to judge her.

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Nov-13 16:59:12

I don't approve - especially if she encouraged her daughter to join her - but she still managed to look incredibly good on them didn't she!

Riverwalk Tue 26-Nov-13 17:13:37

I'll hold fire on these allegations - after all they're made by two women who are charged with a £300,000 fraud.

In the article I can see no mention of her daughter's involvement.

Mamie Tue 26-Nov-13 17:16:30

Have the women made the allegation, Riverwalk? I thought it was Saatchi?

Anthony Metzer QC, defending Elisabetta Grillo, said Saatchi told his lawyers: 'During our marriage I was unaware Nigella took drugs.'
But he said that Saatchi went on to say that he found out about the extent of her alleged drug taking as they were splitting up.

sunseeker Tue 26-Nov-13 17:18:21

Yes, lets wait until there is some proof other than the word of the two women accused of stealing from the company.

Lona Tue 26-Nov-13 17:19:08

It's a good defence for the sisters and also a nice bit of revenge for Charles S.
Just the sort of move my ex would have made, so I'll wait for the evidence I think.

Ana Tue 26-Nov-13 17:23:47

And he had absolutely no idea she was taking all these drugs every day...? hmm

Riverwalk Tue 26-Nov-13 17:23:48

According to the Telegraph article, and I've read no other, the sisters have made the allegations.

"At a hearing earlier this month barristers representing the Grillo sisters detailed their allegations."

Grannyknot Tue 26-Nov-13 17:27:25

Via Twitter it unfolds thus: The two women accused of fraud were Nigella's PAs and were apparently given free rein of a credit card, which they misused (hence the fraud charge).

Part of their defence, which the judge allowed to be made public today, is that their was a 'tacit agreement' that as long as they turned a blind eye to her daily drug use and conspired to keep it hidden from Saatchi, they could more or less do what they pleased.

Saatchi wrote an email which was read out in court today which refers to him believing the women's allegations, and refers to "you and Mimi being off your faces on drugs". Mimi is Nigella's 19 year old daughter from her first marriage.

These women have been with Nigella since long before her marriage to Saatchi, and one of her books is dedicated to them as being her "kitchen confidentials".

Grannyknot Tue 26-Nov-13 17:28:11

that should be there was a tacit agreement! Urgh!

gracesmum Tue 26-Nov-13 17:33:15

And presumably if they throw enough mud at least some will stick! Is this their defence against the fraud allegations then? I thought she looked pretty good so I am also reserving judgement, but as bluebell says (if the allegation is true) - another celeb druggie - quelle surprise! True or not Saatchi is coming across as an evil nasty vicious and malicious individual and she is well shot of him. If you twist my arm I will say what I really think of him and not mince my words grin

Mamie Tue 26-Nov-13 17:37:09

This BBC report starts off "Saatchi accused..."
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25108052

JessM Tue 26-Nov-13 17:37:50

Nasty stuff. No reason to believe these two or not at the moment is there.

Nonu Tue 26-Nov-13 18:04:28

This seems quite unbelievable , not the lovely Nigella !!
Iwas under the impression if one took drugs you were banned from the US of A !!
shock

Agus Tue 26-Nov-13 18:17:08

Whenever I hear or read allegations about someone or something via the media my instinct is, there's no smoke without fire.

I will wait for more evidence before judging her. However, if it transpires that she did involve her daughter, then I will class her as the low life I already judge Satchi to be.

bluebell Tue 26-Nov-13 19:21:24

The drugs culture seems so prevalent in the celebrity world that my default position is they are almost all at it - I can see that's unfair but I would probably be right more times than wrong - but as wiser people have said, let's wait and see - but if it's a lie, it's an audacious one

Nonu Tue 26-Nov-13 19:28:09

Bit like "TONE" they couldn't really publish it , if it wasn"t so .

Or am I wrong ?

BAnanas Tue 26-Nov-13 19:47:24

Perhaps she took drugs to cope with the Tracy Emin "messy bed" installation. I certainly could have done with some drugs to forget the state of my son's messy bedroom when he lived at home. Happily I didn't have to pay squillions for his, it was just there completely free of charge!

merlotgran Tue 26-Nov-13 20:00:41

grin BAnanas

Deedaa Tue 26-Nov-13 20:25:05

The drug culture is pretty much endemic among celebrities, but I would want cast iron proof of anything that Charles Saatchi says. A man who claims that grabbing his wife round the throat isn't abuse is not my idea of a reliable witness.
The accusations may well be true but, on the other hand, Nigella wouldn't be the first person to be screwed by supposedly faithful employees.

absent Tue 26-Nov-13 20:32:35

Nonu I think you have to be convicted of taking/selling drugs to worry US Immigration.