Gransnet forums

Menopause

Is anyone else not on HRT?

(186 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 29-Apr-22 22:32:08

I have just been watching the news and about the shortage of HRT. I know I have been lucky in that I have never had any major menopause problems. My periods just petered out and stopped. That was it. But I am beginning to think if there is something wrong with me. Surely I was supposed to have some reaction to the menopause. My hair hasn't even gone grey!! Is there anyone else out there like me?

DaisyAnne Sat 07-May-22 09:46:20

Two sides of the same coin Yoginimeisje and both are valid.

I would be prepared to go back to HRT if I was convinced that it could minimise the possibility of Alzheimer's. The idea that it delays the wear on the sheath protecting the nerves in the brain seems to make sense to me - wear and tear being a product of less protected ageing. If I could find facts and figures to that account, from a trusted source, I would give it a go because I watched my mother develop it.

We have to hope they speed things up and we get more tested information soon.

Goatgrams Sat 14-May-22 12:41:35

I've never been on it due to factor v leiden. I have suffered quite badly from 48 till now (60). Symptoms starting to abate. I had the awful hot flushes, weight gain, emotional issues. My husband and family have been terrific. Thankfully, I retired (from paid work) at 48.That helped. Insomnia was bad. Just had to stay positive and battle on through. I'm glad many people have the option of hrt, to be sure. It is a most difficult time of life. Nothing but good things happening now!!! Granddaughter and wonderful family and the best friends ever!!!! Good luck to all my fellows grans ?

Truthyruthy Mon 05-Sep-22 14:11:33

I'm interested in your post Esspee
I've never taken HRT and always counted myself as someone who 'sailed through menopause'
I am starting to wonder If patches may help my low mood, and although I say I sailed through menopause, maybe in hindsight I was {and still am ) kidding myself
My periods stopped really late. I was 59 and and getting really close to my 60th birthday ( I'm 64 now)
For a long time I've experienced hot sweats. Work is a nightmare with the air conditioning. I spend half my day taking my jacket off and on!
Night sweats similar. Duvet off and on all the time
I suppose It was something I just thought I needed to put up with as a woman, and thought not taking HRT would protect me from cancer in the future

Floradora9 Mon 05-Sep-22 21:44:32

I was on it for years and got breast cancer which could well have been caused by the HRT.

Nicolacall Mon 12-Sep-22 12:22:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Kamiso Mon 12-Sep-22 12:51:27

Tusue

I’ve had really bad hot flushes,night sweats,insomnia and more recently unexpected anxiety since finishing my periods over 10 years ago,the symptoms still continue.After seeing various programmes on tv about hrt’s role in preventing or reducing dementia and osteoporosis I went to see my male Gp who was unsympathetic to say the least,his words were,you’re too old (59) you’re too fat (11.5 stone 5 ft 4in) size 14 and you’ve got too bad a family history ??? So basically go away and don’t bother me again.so I’m still sweating,not sleeping and fretting about things that are often out of my control.
I give up.

Change your GP if there’s another option.

Truthyruthy Sat 17-Sep-22 12:29:20

Glorianny

And the idea that you build up bones in your youth is a complete mistake. Bones are built and lost continuously. The problem is sometimes the loss is greater than the building. Even so that can be reversed. Drug treatment combined with exercise and supplements can reverse that. The drugs are used short term and calcium and Vitamin D are used long term. No need for HRT

That's my take on this too Glorianny.
Good supplements !

henetha Sat 17-Sep-22 12:32:38

I've never been on it. Sometimes I wonder if I should have, but it's too late now.

tickingbird Sat 17-Sep-22 13:27:40

I’ve never been on HRT, can confidently say I look quite a bit younger than my age and in good health, apart from dodgy knees. I am active though and until a few months ago played tennis 2-3 times a week. I cycle with a club and sometimes on my own and have started weight training at a gym. My last GP was a gynaecologist and wouldn’t prescribe me HRT as she didn’t think it was safe. I didn’t suffer with the menopause so I’ve been lucky.

Tricia2 Sat 17-Sep-22 16:51:13

I’m not on HRT because of breast cancer treatment. I’m on Arimidex it actually shuts off estrogen because for my type of breast cancer (ER+) estrogen is like a fertilizer.