Gransnet forums

Menopause

Is anyone else not on HRT?

(186 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 29-Apr-22 22:32:08

I have just been watching the news and about the shortage of HRT. I know I have been lucky in that I have never had any major menopause problems. My periods just petered out and stopped. That was it. But I am beginning to think if there is something wrong with me. Surely I was supposed to have some reaction to the menopause. My hair hasn't even gone grey!! Is there anyone else out there like me?

Tricia2 Sat 17-Sep-22 16:51:13

I’m not on HRT because of breast cancer treatment. I’m on Arimidex it actually shuts off estrogen because for my type of breast cancer (ER+) estrogen is like a fertilizer.

tickingbird Sat 17-Sep-22 13:27:40

I’ve never been on HRT, can confidently say I look quite a bit younger than my age and in good health, apart from dodgy knees. I am active though and until a few months ago played tennis 2-3 times a week. I cycle with a club and sometimes on my own and have started weight training at a gym. My last GP was a gynaecologist and wouldn’t prescribe me HRT as she didn’t think it was safe. I didn’t suffer with the menopause so I’ve been lucky.

henetha Sat 17-Sep-22 12:32:38

I've never been on it. Sometimes I wonder if I should have, but it's too late now.

Truthyruthy Sat 17-Sep-22 12:29:20

Glorianny

And the idea that you build up bones in your youth is a complete mistake. Bones are built and lost continuously. The problem is sometimes the loss is greater than the building. Even so that can be reversed. Drug treatment combined with exercise and supplements can reverse that. The drugs are used short term and calcium and Vitamin D are used long term. No need for HRT

That's my take on this too Glorianny.
Good supplements !

Kamiso Mon 12-Sep-22 12:51:27

Tusue

I’ve had really bad hot flushes,night sweats,insomnia and more recently unexpected anxiety since finishing my periods over 10 years ago,the symptoms still continue.After seeing various programmes on tv about hrt’s role in preventing or reducing dementia and osteoporosis I went to see my male Gp who was unsympathetic to say the least,his words were,you’re too old (59) you’re too fat (11.5 stone 5 ft 4in) size 14 and you’ve got too bad a family history ??? So basically go away and don’t bother me again.so I’m still sweating,not sleeping and fretting about things that are often out of my control.
I give up.

Change your GP if there’s another option.

Nicolacall Mon 12-Sep-22 12:22:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Floradora9 Mon 05-Sep-22 21:44:32

I was on it for years and got breast cancer which could well have been caused by the HRT.

Truthyruthy Mon 05-Sep-22 14:11:33

I'm interested in your post Esspee
I've never taken HRT and always counted myself as someone who 'sailed through menopause'
I am starting to wonder If patches may help my low mood, and although I say I sailed through menopause, maybe in hindsight I was {and still am ) kidding myself
My periods stopped really late. I was 59 and and getting really close to my 60th birthday ( I'm 64 now)
For a long time I've experienced hot sweats. Work is a nightmare with the air conditioning. I spend half my day taking my jacket off and on!
Night sweats similar. Duvet off and on all the time
I suppose It was something I just thought I needed to put up with as a woman, and thought not taking HRT would protect me from cancer in the future

Goatgrams Sat 14-May-22 12:41:35

I've never been on it due to factor v leiden. I have suffered quite badly from 48 till now (60). Symptoms starting to abate. I had the awful hot flushes, weight gain, emotional issues. My husband and family have been terrific. Thankfully, I retired (from paid work) at 48.That helped. Insomnia was bad. Just had to stay positive and battle on through. I'm glad many people have the option of hrt, to be sure. It is a most difficult time of life. Nothing but good things happening now!!! Granddaughter and wonderful family and the best friends ever!!!! Good luck to all my fellows grans ?

DaisyAnne Sat 07-May-22 09:46:20

Two sides of the same coin Yoginimeisje and both are valid.

I would be prepared to go back to HRT if I was convinced that it could minimise the possibility of Alzheimer's. The idea that it delays the wear on the sheath protecting the nerves in the brain seems to make sense to me - wear and tear being a product of less protected ageing. If I could find facts and figures to that account, from a trusted source, I would give it a go because I watched my mother develop it.

We have to hope they speed things up and we get more tested information soon.

Yoginimeisje Sat 07-May-22 08:38:42

Very interesting posts Daisy & Glori

I might be tempted to try HRT, but for the said risk of Alzheimers /dementia, if taken in later life. My mum had dementia, her biggest fear all her life as her mum had it. My mum had Vascular, my nan senile.

If I could turn the clock back to my peri menopause and could get the 'Yam' HRT, I would have tried it and if all went well, stayed on it for life.

DaisyAnne Fri 06-May-22 23:09:12

Glorianny

From The Alzheimer's Research website
When looking at the data as a whole, researchers found no link between receiving hormone replacement therapy and an increased risk of dementia.
“A smaller sub-group of the data suggests that women who received some forms of hormone therapy over a longer period of five years were slightly more likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease – the most common cause of dementia – this increased risk was small, equivalent of up to seven extra dementia cases per 10,000 person years
www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/no-increased-dementia-risk-after-hormone-replacement-therap/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCK7xNLNtOH_eziWeZTS7YkzBPF1GB8EnzjwQ1CN6MM0HkKAcotVfvRoCrdwQAvD_BwE
I think it is one of those things that it is impossible to prove one way or another there are too many variables and too little information..

So far Glorianny, so far. Science tends to progress in fits and starts.

M0nica Fri 06-May-22 22:32:15

Also Alzheimers is not the only cause of dementia, although it is the dominant cause. Everyone in my family who has had dementia, male and femal,e has had vascular dementia and HRT can do nothing to stave off that cause for dementia.

I am like Hetty if it is clear that I need medication and it will remedy a medical problem I will take it, but need to be convinced that it will help. I was recommended to take statins because my cholestrol levels are high. I got my GP to do the calculations and she was very surprised to find that given my age and base life expectancy, taking statins and reducing my cholesterol, would make only a marginal improvement to my life expectancy, so I do not take them.

I was offered HRT, but refused it because I had no menopausal problems except minor blood loss connected with fibroids and no anemia. DD had heavy bloodloss and severe anemia, and now has a hormonal coil. In a situation like hers I would have made the same decision.

Glorianny Fri 06-May-22 13:17:47

From The Alzheimer's Research website
When looking at the data as a whole, researchers found no link between receiving hormone replacement therapy and an increased risk of dementia.
“A smaller sub-group of the data suggests that women who received some forms of hormone therapy over a longer period of five years were slightly more likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease – the most common cause of dementia – this increased risk was small, equivalent of up to seven extra dementia cases per 10,000 person years
www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/no-increased-dementia-risk-after-hormone-replacement-therap/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCK7xNLNtOH_eziWeZTS7YkzBPF1GB8EnzjwQ1CN6MM0HkKAcotVfvRoCrdwQAvD_BwE
I think it is one of those things that it is impossible to prove one way or another there are too many variables and too little information..

DaisyAnne Fri 06-May-22 12:53:40

Yoginimeisje

Laine60

I had a hysterectomy when I was 42 because of fibroids. They left my ovaries. I was able to manage without HRT because my symptoms didn’t seem to be too bad and we were told at that time that it was risky. However looking back and based on the new research I would have given it more consideration. I’m 62 now and my Mum has advanced Alzheimers at 84. According to new research featured on Davinas programme, HRT could offer some protection from that horrible disease.

But they also said that if taken for the first time decades after menopause it can then cause Alzheimers!!

There are significant gender differences in human brain disease. For example, females are significantly more likely to suffer from Alzheimer's disease (AD) than men (even after correcting for differences in life expectancy), and females on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) are significantly less likely to suffer from Alzheimer's disease than women who do not take HRT. However the neurobiological basis to these differences in clinical brain disease were unknown until relatively recently.

Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001 Dec; 52(6): 647–653.

Personally, I will keep an open mind.

DaisyAnne Fri 06-May-22 12:44:37

Hetty58

I had a troublesome menopause but still I never considered HRT. I have so much more faith in natural events and changes than artificial replacements.

I resent the tendency towards medical interventions (which I see as a last resort, when needed) becoming somehow 'normal' (in childbirth too) when patience, peace and self-care/self belief may be far more appropriate. Ok, some women need medical help - and a whole load more just believe that they do.

What would you do if you had low thyroid Hetty58? Refuse thyroxine?

Yoginimeisje Fri 06-May-22 09:47:14

Laine60

I had a hysterectomy when I was 42 because of fibroids. They left my ovaries. I was able to manage without HRT because my symptoms didn’t seem to be too bad and we were told at that time that it was risky. However looking back and based on the new research I would have given it more consideration. I’m 62 now and my Mum has advanced Alzheimers at 84. According to new research featured on Davinas programme, HRT could offer some protection from that horrible disease.

But they also said that if taken for the first time decades after menopause it can then cause Alzheimers!!

Hetty58 Thu 05-May-22 08:53:49

I had a troublesome menopause but still I never considered HRT. I have so much more faith in natural events and changes than artificial replacements.

I resent the tendency towards medical interventions (which I see as a last resort, when needed) becoming somehow 'normal' (in childbirth too) when patience, peace and self-care/self belief may be far more appropriate. Ok, some women need medical help - and a whole load more just believe that they do.

Laine60 Thu 05-May-22 08:44:04

Glorianny Wed 04-May-22 14:42:52

Buttonjugs

Glorianny

It is interesting that many of the symptoms described by menopausal women for which they are now prescribed HRT are the same symptoms they were once given anti-depressants such as valium for. Strange isn't it that only medicated women seem to be acceptable.

I don’t agree at all! The situation has been that HRT was taboo in the past, and now it’s getting talked about and is being accepted as an often necessary treatment to help with the symptoms of menopause. I very much doubt Valium would help with vaginal atrophy, UTIs or hot flushes.

Well I have no doubt that there are specific conditions which HRT is absolutely the right treatment for. I do question though its use for non-specific conditions such as what is being described as "brainfog" or lack of interest in sex. Those are the sorts of things women were given "mothers little helpers" for in the past. when they were called anxiety or depression or anything which made women a bit difficult to deal with.

Buttonjugs Wed 04-May-22 12:30:02

GagaJo

Esspee

GagaJo. I was referring to the long term effects of the menopause on this thread.
From discussions with my peers my experience is that many of them admit to stress incontinence, one has severe incontinence and does not leave the house any more, a few are on treatment for vaginal atrophy, some have given up on a sex life, one is awaiting an operation for prolapse and several have osteoporosis. I fear that at least two are showing Alzheimer symptoms., oh yes and one has osteoarthritis and can’t drive.

Mostly when people say they “sailed through the menopause” they are referring to hot flushes and the like. Very few women seem aware that it is the long term effects which will impact on their quality of life in older age.

I understand that, Esspee.

But as I said, by the nature of the age of Gransnet members, this site should have a predominance of women showing those symptoms. We are that age range.

If we were suffering vaginal atrophy, incontinence, prolapse etc, as result of menopause, it would be forming part of the conversation on this thread. And it largely isn't.

We are older age. And most of us are fine.

Have you considered that many women with the aforementioned symptoms won’t want to talk about it? It’s still embarrassing to pee yourself and to have a prolapse. My Nan had one for years and didn’t tell anyone, it was discovered shortly before she died at the age of 101.

DaisyAnne Wed 04-May-22 12:27:38

Glorianny

It is interesting that many of the symptoms described by menopausal women for which they are now prescribed HRT are the same symptoms they were once given anti-depressants such as valium for. Strange isn't it that only medicated women seem to be acceptable.

There is a long history behind how women are treated like this Glorianny. Did you see the news about the first female anatomically correct model for students launched recently? Up to now, they have "adjusted" the male models!!!

Buttonjugs Wed 04-May-22 12:26:13

Glorianny

I don’t agree at all! The situation has been that HRT was taboo in the past, and now it’s getting talked about and is being accepted as an often necessary treatment to help with the symptoms of menopause. I very much doubt Valium would help with vaginal atrophy, UTIs or hot flushes.

Buttonjugs Wed 04-May-22 12:22:54

When I reached menopause my vagina imploded, I developed a rectocele and around a year later I had my first UTI along with hot flushes. I then went on to have countless UTIs even though there was no bacteria present in my subsequent ones. So I was given HRT and after a dose increase I was finally okay again. I have been taking it for around five years and recently reduced the dose with no sign of my issues returning so I am hopeful that when I do eventually stop taking it it will stay that way. Saying that I need a new prescription from the GP today, I hope I get it ?

DaisyAnne Wed 04-May-22 12:21:55

OakDryad

That's the point I was trying to make upthread DaisyAnne. Some evidence and cautiously optimistic isn't proof. I suspect this campaign by Davina McCall, well-intentioned though it may be, is mistimed and premature as far as dementia is concerned.

I agree with M0nica and argymargy. This thread clearly shows that menopause is not hell for everyone. I'd like to know why that is and to what extent lifestyle choices have an impact on what kind of menopause we experience.

I agree too that all kinds of medicines are overprescribed or prescribed without consideration of the side and/or longer term effects. I wrote elsewhere, on the Long Covid thread, speculating that the symptoms many hospitalized patients are describing could be as much to do with the drugs used in the hospital treatment as the virus itself. I am not criticising hospitals of doctors. They had to do what was necessary in an emergency situation but the drugs used to treat Covid do have potential short and long-term negative side effects just as HRT can.

There was no proof that it caused Altziemers either OD. The conclusions of the work done published in 2002, The Women’s Health Initiative Studies, which brought HRT into question has been, more recently and following up to date studies, called into doubt.

This is by no means, a field in which I have any knowledge, which is why I started a thread for recent factual and scientific knowledge about HRT. I would like to look forwards rather than backwards and I would like to learn. However, so far "answer came there none" so I am assuming we are at the stage where all of us are learning what the updated information tells us.