Gransnet forums

House and home

Please recommend a town by the sea - love watching boats

(125 Posts)
SharonRo Sun 25-Feb-24 21:21:17

Please help us. We are looking to move from Leicester to a town by the sea. We love watching boats, would like to be in a small town….want to buys a 3 bedroom house with a garden and have 300 to 350k.

Would like to be somewhere with a few restaurants and pubs and not far from a railway station….we thought we had landed on Weymouth but seems to be out of our price range….then looked at Bridlington put was put off by the tales of drugs, antisocial behaviour etc…

Any advice very welcome please. Thank you

Joseann Sun 25-Feb-24 21:26:31

Big boats, fishing boats, yachts, or ferries?
Horses for courses.

LOUISA1523 Sun 25-Feb-24 21:29:53

Maybe need to be up north with that budget...your money will go further

Mel1967 Sun 25-Feb-24 21:42:45

Have a look at Margate, Ramsgate or Broadstairs.
Lots of sea and beaches.
Great restaurants.
Excellent rail links.

SharonRo Sun 25-Feb-24 21:44:31

Sailing boats and working boats

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Feb-24 21:46:50

Difficult down this part of the world - south coast. You might get a small flat for that money - but I guess your best bet is certainly north of the country.

Property prices are ridiculous.

Hellogirl1 Sun 25-Feb-24 22:07:44

Northumberland could be worth a look

Sago Sun 25-Feb-24 22:17:39

Hornsea or Filey.

YorkLady Sun 25-Feb-24 22:17:54

Saltburn by the sea, just north of Whitby. A 3 bed semi would be within that price range.

flappergirl Sun 25-Feb-24 22:22:50

Try looking around Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire. It is a beautiful part of the world. There are lots of all kinds of boats in the rather up market marina along with restaurants, pubs, cafes etc. There is also a train station. You should be able to get a nice property there in your budget.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 25-Feb-24 22:27:05

There are plenty of terraced houses or semis on the South Coast, West Sussex, Isle of Wight.

‘Right move properties for sale South Coast’ , put in your budget and see what you can buy, there seem to be plenty.

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 22:52:48

Hastings is nice, I thought, when I went there.

Scribbles Sun 25-Feb-24 23:26:24

Portsmouth or Gosport? Poole?

Catterygirl Mon 26-Feb-24 00:09:17

Lived in Leigh-on-sea and Canvey island. Rather pleasant places to live with reasonable priced property.

henetha Mon 26-Feb-24 00:09:32

Teignmouth is a lovely little seaside town.

SeaWoozle Tue 27-Feb-24 01:02:50

Oban is beautiful. Has the most amazing sunsets. Lots of working boats and the ferry over to the Islands. Lovely atmosphere. I too would suggest further north to get more more for your dough.

SeaWoozle Tue 27-Feb-24 01:05:58

Also anywhere among the north Wales coast. Rhyl, Prestatyn, Abergele. All have lots of sea, boats and good rail connections. Welsh, I suspect, isn't a necessity, though further round from Conwy you'd be best to learn some!

Esmay Tue 27-Feb-24 01:47:22

I also recommend Margate .
It went through a long bleak period . Then , first time house buyers , unable to afford expensive Brighton moved there in droves .
Now it's up and coming and you can afford it as well .
It's great if you want a day trip to London and there's so much to see on the South Coast .

Grandmadinosaur Tue 27-Feb-24 09:30:15

I have family living in North Wales and I wouldn’t recommend Rhyl or Prestatyn. Nice places in there hey day but not any longer. Maybe places like Conway and further down the coastline would be more suitable.
As for Hornsea and Filey in N. Yorkshire they would get my vote too.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 27-Feb-24 12:54:48

Another vote for lovely Thanet ( Margate et al) but I think that you will find it a struggle to buy a three bedroom house with a garden for £300k in the area.

scart57 Tue 27-Feb-24 13:37:28

Have you thought about Anglesey? My most favourite place on earth. Quiet, friendly, the whole island surrounded by water....Trearddur Bay, Rhosneigr, Red Wharf Bay, Cemaes Bay....all beautiful. South Stack lighthouse and Penmon Point are my particular favourites, where it's too easy to fall asleep whilst reading the newspaper....🤭🤭

TerriBull Tue 27-Feb-24 13:58:45

I completely understand your love of boats OP, boat watching is an enjoyable passtime. Lymington, Hants is a town we often visit, I love it, it has a harbour and marina, a bit on the expensive side. I also love the South Hams part of Devon for that too. Northumberland had some lovely beaches when we visited and Wales of course, amazing coasts, some of the very best in Britain. I'd investigate both locations probably cheaper. Good luck, hope you find somewhere that suits you.

Dee1012 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:16:41

Northumberland?
The coast is stunning....Amble, Alnmouth, Seahouses, Seaton Sluice etc
Staithes - N Yorks.

Chardy Tue 27-Feb-24 16:46:19

I live near the sea on South Coast. You usually pay a premium for houses with a sea view, which are often tall Georgian/Victorian town houses split into flats. There are also modern marinas with new blocks of (expensive?) flats overlooking.
I've lived in assorted places in England, and I'm surprised you've no preference for location.

newnanny Fri 01-Mar-24 11:09:26

My MiL lives in Bridlington so I go there often. I am not aware of drug problems. It has a pretty harbour but when tourist go home it's very quiet on the winter. The season tends to start in April.