Gransnet forums

House and home

tumble dryer withdrawal pains

(88 Posts)
SORES Sun 18-Feb-24 15:23:20

has anyone given up their (newish) tumble dryer through CoL shocking rise in utility bills, for whatever reason
only to regret it ?
and is now considering replacing it, maybe prevaricating,
or already on the phone to AO?

Oreo Sun 18-Feb-24 15:27:05

No, but was on the phone to ao yesterday ordering a new tumble dryer as my very old one has just packed up.I don’t have much space for drying indoors so really need it.
I find ao a reliable company btw with keen prices.

SORES Sun 18-Feb-24 15:38:45

Oreo, you didn’t have time to miss it!
yes they are a good firm, reliable, leave JL
in the dust, we have everything from them
now
I was looking at a Beko, 269£ I can paypal
over 3months, I don’t need one to last 20 years
at my age

TinSoldier Sun 18-Feb-24 15:42:27

I haven't had one for about ten years since the last one stopped working. I try to be as green as possible so decided not to replace it.

I dry washing outside, or in my south-facing garden room which builds up quite a bit of heat in winter on sunny days. If that isn't enough in winter, I'll hang things on rads or in the airing cupboard. I live alone so there isn't a lot to wash. It doesn't bother me if the place looks a bit untidy for an hour or so.

These running costs from the end of 2023. These will be more now as electricity prices increased in January.

An example 9kg vented tumble dryer uses 5.34 kWh for a full load cycle and approx 636 kWh over a year (if you use your dryer around two times a week). This means that this vented tumble dryer costs £1.54 per cycle and £184.44 per year on average.

An example 9kg condenser tumble dryer uses 5.2 kWh for a full load and approx 617 kWh annually. This means a cost of £1.51 per cycle and £178.93 annually – that's almost as much as a vented model.

An example 9kg heat pump tumble dryer uses 2.16 kWh for a full load and 259 kWh per year. This means that you’ll be spending just 63p per cycle and £75.11 per year.

www.idealhome.co.uk/property-advice/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-tumble-dryer-295558

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 15:48:21

I'm about 50 years too late, because I have just bought one!
For emergencies only.

V3ra Sun 18-Feb-24 15:50:02

My Beko 8kg A++ tumble drier is 900w.

It has a sensor whereby it stops when the laundry is dry. I take things out, put them straight on a hanger and they're ready to put away.

My iron is 2400w.

So are you having to do more ironing because you're not using the tumble dryer?
There might not be much between them as regards electricity consumption 🤷

midgey Sun 18-Feb-24 15:53:36

Be careful if you are planning to put your drier in an outside place, my marvellous drier is not prepared to work if it is too cold. Not a lot of use in the winter!

Oreo Sun 18-Feb-24 15:57:34

SORES

Oreo, you didn’t have time to miss it!
yes they are a good firm, reliable, leave JL
in the dust, we have everything from them
now
I was looking at a Beko, 269£ I can paypal
over 3months, I don’t need one to last 20 years
at my age

Haha, you’re right I was straight on the phone.
I saw the Beko one it was a good price, but went with the Indesit one at £319 as a friend has one and really rates it.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 16:00:15

I really rate my Bush (tumble dryer!) too.
It is classed as a mini, but holds plenty.
£110. smile

Oreo Sun 18-Feb-24 16:00:39

Talking of JL I have a washing machine from them, it went wrong twice, the first time I spent so much time on the phone with them having to argue my case and the second time they weren’t interested and it took a month to get the part.A month where I had to take my washing around to DD’s and ask them to do it.😡Never from JL ever again.

SORES Sun 18-Feb-24 16:05:59

Oreo, I hope it meets your expectations

I was completely self righteous after donating
mine to my thrilled daughter, didn’t think I
would miss it, may not have done if we hadn’t
had so much rain and damp weather.

eazybee Sun 18-Feb-24 16:07:42

My tumble drier died and on the day I set out to replace it my hoover died too, so the TD had to wait. That was twelve years ago and I honestly haven't missed it. But it was essential when I was working and the children lived here. Now I use the airing cupboard and the bannisters, and even the washing line.

JaneJudge Sun 18-Feb-24 16:08:37

we got ris of ours when we moved house last year with the intention of using airers to drY
we both work full time and have a child still at school.
we lasted a week before realising we couldn't cope without one

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 16:11:38

My flat is constantly full of washing, in various degrees of dampness.
Doors, airers, radiators.
I spend my whole time shifting to from one place to another.

Jaxjacky Sun 18-Feb-24 16:15:13

I’ve never had one, from living in a bedsit until now and I won’t change, the cost to run one and carbon footprint are not for me.
Washing is dried on an airer in the spare bedroom, kitchen or outside.

SORES Sun 18-Feb-24 16:16:39

Oreo we always bought from JL, often on ‘deferred terms’
all our white goods, computers.
2 years ago bought a new gas cooker, complained about the insolent delivery guys, cooker then didn’t work, like you it took months,
being fobbed off, like you, never again.
We were good loyal customers, means nothing these days.
AO delivered and fitted two days later

We should be on commission ha ha

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 16:16:48

I have no room inside, really.
The living room has a couple of spaces.
One blocks the tv screen from sight, and the other means we can't use the table and chairs.

shysal Sun 18-Feb-24 17:08:29

I still have one but stopped using it when the bills went up. I am just about used to 'cardboard' towels dried naturally, even enjoying them in a way. I only tumble dry my well-off elderly neighbour's bedding, because she likes it washed and back the same day. I have been doing this since she became poorly with shingles over a year ago, and she has no washing machine. I am saving her money but she has never offered a contribution to Bold, water or power, and she knows I am on a tight budget. I do a lot for her although she is much better, but am beginning to feel a bit resentful!

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 17:10:04

I'm not surprised!

Grandmabatty Sun 18-Feb-24 17:17:38

I use mine to dry towels and sheets mainly, so it's on once a week. I live in a cold, damp part of the country and hanging out washing is a rare occurrence. Clothes can take a week to dry on an airer if the heating isn't on. It's no argument as far as I'm concerned

Shelflife Sun 18-Feb-24 17:24:23

I got rid of my my Bosch TD as it was too ,' intelligent ' in other words did not dry the clothes! It switched off automatically when it decided my clothes we ' cupboard dry' they were far from dry!! I would switch it on again but it would only tumble for about 3 minutes before again telling me clothes were cupboard dry!? If I wanted to simply pop things in for a short time ( clothes that had almost dried on their own) it refused to do that . Absolutely infuriating 😡. In desperation I got rid of it. Fortunately I have a utility room with a creel that is on a pulley and I can raise it up to the ceiling - they dry reasonably easily there. I haven't missed it! If I do buy another I will look for a less intelligent on - if that is available!! Roll on better weather when I can use my washing line .
I went back to Currys prior to getting rid of it and explained the problem , I was told " well that is how they are supposed to work" so paid for a TD that was not fit for purpose!! I resented bring dictated to by a TD !! Haven't missed it.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 17:26:31

I specifically looked for one that had an on/off button, and a cool/hot setting.
That's all!
I couldnt cope with a dashboard of options.

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Feb-24 17:38:16

That’s exactly what my old dryer has, MissA, and if it ever needs replacing I’ll be looking for another just like it!

It’s only used in the winter months - now we’re retired and can choose when we do the washing, everything’s dried outside until the cold and damp settles in, then the rotary dryer’s taken down. After that it’s the tumbler all the way. I do care about the environment and have cut down drastically on how often things are washed, and the setting they’re washed at, but I can’t bear the thought of having a damp house while wet washing hangs round the place.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-24 17:45:47

Exactly that.
It's a bit grim having droopy old damp washing hanging from every conceivable space.

It was making me depressed.

Shelflife Sun 18-Feb-24 17:50:10

Miss Adventure, your TD sounds perfect! Will you please let me know the make ? If I buy a new one it will probably be used in emergencies only as my creel does a good job ....... but at times it would be useful.