Gransnet forums

House and home

A bit of de-cluttering. Now and then

(156 Posts)
karmalady Tue 13-Feb-24 12:06:34

Depending very much on the mood. First stage is easy, the big iniial de-clutter. Second stage onwards is harder and gets harder again at future stages. It is tempting to slow down to dead slow and stop. Mutual support is neded more than ever

karmalady Tue 13-Feb-24 12:21:48

I know I have had a troubled mindset, time and tide and rapidly getting older. I have not slept well the last two nights, last night, over and over, was all about wood carving equipment. I have a lot and in superb condition but it crossed my mind just to get rid of it, cannot be bothered with ebay, packing listing etc

Luckily I am heading back to chilled, on a temporary basis but this garage equipment will not go away on its own. I am not any more thinking about the initial costs but getting rid is at the forefront, only I am not sure, yet

I took an easy route this morning, two sets of stackers jewellery boxes, both 5 tiers high, one medium and one mini. A special jewellery holder has been laying on a bed for four days, lots of zipped pockets, non tarnish lining, a hanger or it can fold up. Good result , after cleaning the silver jewellery. All the stuff I want to keep is now in 3 tiers of the mini set and all pockets in the hanging pack

First call will be to AC for the containers, then the charity shop, when someone would get a bargain. That is a fair chunk of space empty now. I got rid of costume bits and bobs, have not worn them for a very long time

Btw, to clean silver. A ceramic/glass dish. A later of silver foil, put jewellery on the foil, sprinkle bicarb on and add boiling water. It will fizz and the liquid will look dirty. I did it twice. All shiny now and it will last in the non-tarnish pockets

I feel as though I am hopping along but progress now is almost at a standstill

SusieK Tue 13-Feb-24 12:25:48

You seem to have an awful lot of stuff! Good luck!

karmalady Tue 13-Feb-24 12:29:33

Do I? oh gosh I didn`t know that. It is all about removing items that I accumulated when I was widowed. That plus gearing up to old age

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Feb-24 12:50:37

I can’t bear having more ‘stuff’ than I actually need, it really troubles me. The only exceptions are books, and a lot of pictures on the walls. I like a tidy home with everything in its place.

LOUISA1523 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:02:49

I'm a minimalist....furniture...clothing..
jewelry...everything....i declutter every month at least ....good luck

HomeAgain123 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:03:19

I’m just emptying my mums house oh to so much stuff feeling like I have to tell siblings what I’m doing in case of repercussions not they’ve offered to help apart from a I want Definitely going to begin my own house next

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:04:11

All these things I bought years ago thinking we would use them or my daughters would use them. It didn't help living in a small town with several good charity shops and an antiques/junk shop. And then having quite a lot of my parents furniture and things.

It has all become an unwelcome weight on my shoulders. I read somewhere in a novel that the elderly father in an Indian family set off on a journey walking with a food bowl and no other possessions and would expect to be fed by strangers en route. He did not plan to return home. A bit dramatic, but I almost feel like leaving it all and walking away. But then of course someone else would have to deal with it.
Swedish death clearing this year for me in earnest as well. Sympathies to all in the same situation.

Doodledog Tue 13-Feb-24 13:07:38

I've done the Big Declutter, but as someone with probable ADD I need to force myself to keep on top of it, and avoid the Doombags* and boxes that are always my downfall. I am currently at the point where I need to have a second go at the wardrobes, and sort through a couple of boxes that have appeared on the landing, as well as two baskets in the sitting room. I know I need to sort them out, but this is the sort of decluttering I find really difficult - it's even worse then tackling a cupboard or wardrobe.

*Doombags/boxes are repositories for 'things' that have no obvious home, but I don't want to throw away. I don't want to list their contents as it's private, and anyway, the places that other posters would put them are not necessarily going to work for me. They are just miscellaneous items, really. Some could probably be thrown away, but are of the 'might come in handy one day' variety. My house isn't untidy, incidentally - it's just that I tidy up by putting things in doom bags if they don't have a designated home grin.

Tizliz Tue 13-Feb-24 13:10:42

about wood carving equipment. I have a lot and in superb condition

These people are very helpful and knowledgeable, run regular auctions for tools etc:

www.davidstanley.com/

Judy54 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:44:21

It's not de-cluttering that bothers me as I am not a hoarder, it is general housework and keeping on top of things to make sure the house is clean that is my bug bear. Finding it more difficult as I get older and seriously thinking of getting a cleaner in to help out.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:48:21

Oh yes the might come in handy one day and then having to buy it anew!!!
A church in our town has links with a company sending unwanted tools to African countries and I think towns in the UK.

I wonder if the place King Charles owns in Dumfries??? Where apprentices are taught woodwork to a high standard would be interested in your woodworking tools karmalady then you can be By Royal Appointment!

Kim19 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:59:16

My lovely Mum said 'keep a thing for seven years and you'll find a use for it' Unfortunately, in my case, she was very wrong!!

loopyloo Tue 13-Feb-24 14:04:37

Helter-skelter ,I feel like that.
In fact I think I will start clearing out with that in mind.
Will only keep what I am going to take to my place by the sea.

Grandmabatty Tue 13-Feb-24 14:09:16

Helter-skelter Dumfries House isn't actually near Dumfries. It's in East Ayrshire.
I downsized five years ago and every year I clear more stuff out to keep my stash manageable. I'm thinking of getting rid of a huge bag of wool. I'm not a patient knitter and it's been sitting unused for five years so time to go!

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:14:02

Thank you Grandmabatty I will google it this afternoon. I think I watched all about it on Countryfile some while back.

Katyj Tue 13-Feb-24 14:14:30

I’ve just finished clearing my mums just need to clean up now ! What a job? I really didn’t realise how much she had. I’d been hinting for ages that she should have a sort out, but according to her she was never going in a care home, or anywhere else for that matter so why bother !
Now she’s in a care home aged 92 and confused 🫤 It’s very difficult knowing what to do with everything especially whilst they’re still here. Most of it has gone to charity shops and the tip. Sold a few things for not very much, she’s be so upset and angry if she realised, but she hasn’t asked for two weeks now so I’m hoping she has forgotten 🤞

Casdon Tue 13-Feb-24 14:31:23

I sympathise KatyJ. My parents, also in their nineties have just recently moved bedrooms into what was a sitting room, and just swapping the two rooms around has revealed so much hoarded stuff - for example, 37 pairs of ladies gloves anyone? My sister and I have started to try to get some order to where things go when we put the new sitting room back into place, but it’s definitely going to be a marathon not a sprint. It’s spurred me on at home too, but rather than a bit of decluttering now and then I’m doing 5 items every day, and clothes are now one in two out.

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:42:46

Three drawers decluttered this morning.
One step at a time.

If my DC are left with a lot to sort out so be it, I keep asking them to declutter their own stuff and wanting to send a lot of our stuff to the charity shop but they want some of it - just not now!

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:45:21

HelterSkelter1

Oh yes the might come in handy one day and then having to buy it anew!!!
A church in our town has links with a company sending unwanted tools to African countries and I think towns in the UK.

I wonder if the place King Charles owns in Dumfries??? Where apprentices are taught woodwork to a high standard would be interested in your woodworking tools karmalady then you can be By Royal Appointment!

It is actually owned by the Princes Foundation, a charity so I wonder if it is self-funding?

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:48:21

Germanshepherdsmum

I can’t bear having more ‘stuff’ than I actually need, it really troubles me. The only exceptions are books, and a lot of pictures on the walls. I like a tidy home with everything in its place.

I keep threatening DH with a book auction if he doesn't sort through all the books.
The DC left a lot of theirs at home too.

My house is tidy again now they've gone home just don't open a cupboard or wardrobe

Jaxjacky Tue 13-Feb-24 14:49:17

My annual clothes review will be soon, anything not worn for the last year will go, apart from one ‘good’ day dress (last worn 5 years ago) and a black, solemn occasions, dress. The local charity shop benefits.
There’s one kitchen cupboard needs a similar sort out, same rule applies.
The rest of the house is tidy, no photos, just a few pictures/mirrors on the walls.

petra Tue 13-Feb-24 14:51:34

karmalady

Do I? oh gosh I didn`t know that. It is all about removing items that I accumulated when I was widowed. That plus gearing up to old age

No offence meant, Karmalady but the amount of stuff you have makes my head spin 😊
My partner sums up what I’m like with stuff He jokes that he daren’t stand still too long because he’d be out of the house 😂

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 13-Feb-24 15:06:47

9 and a half indoor rooms to go……
2 and a half rooms done and cleaned, just the windows to do when it stops raining.
Garage and cabin will be a separate issue as MzOops is also moving and has brought up crates and boxes for us to store in the cabin, once I have cleared all the boxes of vintage crockery from the garage, her stuff can go in crates on the shelves. I’m going to just get rid of it all, I can’t be doing with eBay, lost parcels, broken items and refunds and hassle, so will advertise on FB at a fraction of what it all cost me.
But at least it will be gone, some of the better stuff to Charity shop as they like nice Vintage Crockery and people will buy it, rather than it all be left here for weeks.

Just organised a paper shredding service for the end of the month, 2 tall stacks so far.

Anyone want any box files? No, thought not.

I’m totally bushed and have finished for the day.

kittylester Tue 13-Feb-24 15:27:52

If you have a nearby Men in Sheds they would be really grateful for your tools, Karma or, even better, Memories in Sheds.