Gransnet forums

House and home

Garden room- new start

(43 Posts)
Cabbie21 Tue 13-Feb-24 09:09:39

I am in the process of clearing the garden room, which is an extension behind the garage. It gets the sun. I shall put the same curtains back at the patio doors but apart from that it is a blank canvas.
One drawback is that it is the only way through to the garden, so garden rubbish has to be taken through, needing a clear corridor.
We originally had the thought that if one of us was ill or needed a hospital bed it could become a bedroom, as there is a loo and shower room off it. But DH refused to use it.when he was ill.
Another thought is that I have no utility room and little storage space apart from the garage so maybe a built-in cupboard would be useful?
I am getting it decorated after Easter and am looking for ideas for colours and to furnish it. The curtains are heavy drapes with gold and russet colours. I plan to put in a laminate floor for ease of cleaning. I am not very good at interior decor. My daughter is, but her tastes are too modern for me.

Any thoughts appreciated. I am out all day so won’t be back to check until tea time. Thanks in advance. .

annsixty Tue 13-Feb-24 09:27:21

I am useless at decorating ideas so can’t help there but one thing I would say is when choosing a laminate floor get good advice as to quality and colour.
I have laminate in my conservatory which like your room gets lots of sun.
The laminate has faded very much.
I have a rug in front of the French doors to take the dirt off when coming in from the garden.
When the rug is lifted the colour is vastly darker to the surrounding area.
I remember some years ago posting about this on here and many people agreed with me.
If you are set on laminate I suggest you choose a very light colour.
I hope you love your room when it is finished.
My conservatory is my living room from April to October.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Feb-24 09:31:24

I was told that Karndean tends to fade in sunlight.

Sago Tue 13-Feb-24 09:37:56

This flooring is outstanding, my daughter had it in a kitchen and utility, the fitters had never laid it before and were very impressed.
www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjNweC9gaiEAxUomFAGHbg1B5AYABAHGgJkZw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzcHgvYGohAMVKJhQBh24NQeQEAAYASAAEgKe1vD_BwE&sig=AOD64_13sqBfda9BkLFJFHVqqRTForSumg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjJpdu9gaiEAxV7UUEAHQN0D6sQ0Qx6BAgQEAM

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 09:40:32

I hope Mirzuna replies with ideas. She seems tomhave a good eye for colour.

merlotgran Tue 13-Feb-24 09:41:39

I would say Yes to laminate flooring but No to heavy drape curtains. A garden room should feel half house/half garden. Which direction do the windows and patio doors face?

It’s a great idea to think about using it as a downstairs bedroom should the need arise but don’t be tempted to let that influence the way you decorate it now.
I would keep the wall colours light and use potted plants to give the room a garden feel.

There are lots of decorating ideas on Pinterest. It’s quite addictive once the ideas start flowing!

Have fun!

Patsy70 Tue 13-Feb-24 09:59:26

Sounds very exciting to me. I would echo what *merlotgran’ suggests, and keep it light and uncluttered. I realise it would add to the expense, but less heavy curtains would be my choice, possibly in shades of green, with complementary cushions and throws. The laminate floor should work well, with a rug to catch any debris from the garden. A comfortable sofa bed, should you decide to use it as a bedroom at some stage, would be practical. Enjoy yourself!

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 11:01:20

Good laminate flooring sounds suitable; we have wood in our conservatory, it was lovely but unfortunately has changed colour in parts.
We have a rug which has faded in the strong light although it still looks fine.

Have you thought about having underfloor heating put in before the flooring is laid?

What about vertical blinds? They can be pulled right back, pulled across at an angle if the sun is too bright etc. They do tend to be plain but you could brighten the place up with cushions etc.
Light walls, nothing too fussy.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 11:05:41

Is it a glass roof or solid roof. A solid roof keeps cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

A friend says her friend with a glass roof conservatory finds both summer and winter difficult. Whereas she with her solid roof uses hers all year round. At this stage of renovation maybe a time to change the roof? Apologies if this is not relevant.

annsixty Tue 13-Feb-24 11:23:22

I still have a polycarbonate roof but with concertina blinds which can be pushed right up or pulled down in very sunny weather.
I looked into a solid roof but at my advanced age decided it wasn’t worth spending so much money.
I have vertical blinds and like them.
Never needed curtains but if I were turning it into a bedroom at some time I think I would have them then.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 13-Feb-24 12:25:09

This is an exciting project for spring Cabbie21, I think you can be a little bit quirky in garden room decor! Laminate seems the way to go for flooring if you have to gardening bits have to go through or a tiled floor may be suitable with one of those indoor/outdoor rugs. I'd think of my favourite colours, tones and which sort of look I wanted. Do you like the Laura Ashley cottagey feel - soft florals and faded tones or do you like mid century prints and clean lines?
If you have plain neutral furniture and furnishings it's easy to accessorise in your taste, a big old pine dresser or an sleek sideboard could be painted/refurbished to fit in. I use an old potting table with a galvanized top as a sideboard in my garden room, green and white pinstripe sofa (ebay find) and floral curtains in blue and greens. It seems to link with the garden and I love being out there.

OldFrill Tue 13-Feb-24 12:35:48

Sago

This flooring is outstanding, my daughter had it in a kitchen and utility, the fitters had never laid it before and were very impressed.
www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjNweC9gaiEAxUomFAGHbg1B5AYABAHGgJkZw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzcHgvYGohAMVKJhQBh24NQeQEAAYASAAEgKe1vD_BwE&sig=AOD64_13sqBfda9BkLFJFHVqqRTForSumg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjJpdu9gaiEAxV7UUEAHQN0D6sQ0Qx6BAgQEAM

Thank you for this Sago, I've ordered some samples. The photo software on the site is the best I've used.

Joseann Tue 13-Feb-24 13:38:54

Useful thread, thanks Cabbie21.
I'm starting on a similar project this spring. So far I have divided the space into a summer kitchen area for outdoor dining stuff and preparation, (old cabinets and worktop), a laundry area, (machines, drier racks, ironing area), a dog area, (with towels, dog beds etc), and finally a relaxing area, (with chairs and a coffee table). I'm hoping that will give me ideas with décor, but like keepcalmandcacachon says, quirky and bold is the way to go for me!
I'm leaning to Amtico flooring which is tough, easy to clean and looks attractive too.

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:50:25

It was lovely to sit in ours yesterday afternoon, the sun was shining and it was a balmy 23C until the sun went down.

I think if it's intended for a bedroom one day, underfloor heating and a roof would be a must. You could keep the heavy curtains in case you need them.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 13:57:09

I am very envious of those with a garden room/conservatory. If and when I move it will be a priority. So I will note all the replies for the future.

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:14:59

HelterSkelter1

I am very envious of those with a garden room/conservatory. If and when I move it will be a priority. So I will note all the replies for the future.

The only time we don't tend to use it is if it's very hot, in which case we might seek some shade in the garden anyway if we're home.

Cabbie21 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:15:11

Just popped back to add a bit more information. There is a flat roof. The patio doors face south, and there is also a side window, which I am getting replaced with a new one with a trickle vent and an opener, to increase ventilation. There is a new radiator, part of the central heating system, which keeps the room warm in winter, otherwise underfloor heating would be a good idea. The insulation could be better but I don’t plan to spend money on it. I am keeping the curtains as they keep the sun out and reduce the temperature on really hot days.

Thanks for the comments so far, especially the flooring ideas. Any thoughts on furniture? There isn’t room for much, especially because of the “corridor”. This morning I looked in a garden centre and a store for ideas, but all of the chairs I saw were too big and too heavy. I need a chair that I can carry into the sitting room occasionally for extra visitors. I did buy a new ceiling light with a light open wicker shade.

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:19:48

Aluminium framed furniture would be much lighter than rattan.
Mine's rattan and I love it but it tends to be heavy.

Norah Tue 13-Feb-24 14:24:11

Along the length of the back of our home is a conservatory, with a solid roof, wood floors, white/lined roman shades drawn up tight. The laundry, loo, dog home are at the far end (outside entrance), then our kitchen, eating areas, family space, finally the children's playroom and library. Wood floors, easy to mop for children & pets.

I've done a huge oil, somewhat like this. Colours I love, for the far end of the children's play room. Pink and blue being my favoutite colours, it makes me happy just to see it, even from a distance. Perhaps select art first, play off that?

annsixty Tue 13-Feb-24 14:33:22

That is a complete house Norah apart from a sleeping area😉
How lucky you are.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 13-Feb-24 14:36:04

I have dark aluminium benches in the garden from Homebase some 10 years ago and they are very light. I am able to move them easily on my own to mow the grass.

I bought one to start and then ordered 2 more when the first was delivered as I liked it so much and they were such a good price. I havent seen the same ever again but I do recommend aluminium for its hard wearing and lightweight qualities.

Norah Tue 13-Feb-24 14:42:19

annsixty

That is a complete house Norah apart from a sleeping area😉
How lucky you are.

It is our home. Back side has been renovated and added on conservatory 'style' albeit with a roof. My point was art, seen from any spot, colours one loves - can be a way to to set coulors for a room.

Yes, sleeping rooms, bathroom, hall, reception are on the front.

Norah Tue 13-Feb-24 14:48:53

HelterSkelter1

I have dark aluminium benches in the garden from Homebase some 10 years ago and they are very light. I am able to move them easily on my own to mow the grass.

I bought one to start and then ordered 2 more when the first was delivered as I liked it so much and they were such a good price. I havent seen the same ever again but I do recommend aluminium for its hard wearing and lightweight qualities.

We've some, aluminium painted dark bronze - chairs easy to move around and use where needed (inside or out). Aluminium chair sets are wonderful.

Cabbie21 Tue 13-Feb-24 15:45:03

Thanks for the thought of aluminium. At the moment the room holds one easy chair which I may move elsewhere, but I would like to have a comfy chair to sit in in that room when it is too windy or too hot to sit outside.
There is also a z bed which has not been used for years and bookcases which I have now emptied, plus things ‘in transit’. All to go.

pascal30 Tue 13-Feb-24 16:02:02

I would have old, patterned tiles on the floor, one really comfortable sofa bed, big terracotta pots with plants and I would have plantation blinds on the windows. Colours would be light and neutral on the walls,, maybe an old cabinette/cupboard painted in a light matt colour..