Gransnet forums

House and home

Burglary to steal a car………keys prominent or not…??

(45 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 06-Feb-24 11:24:16

In our small village there have been a number of break ins. The most recent, was to steal 2 expensive cars. Apparently happened around midnight, whilst house occupants were in bed, they have cctv, but the perpetrators wore balaclavas, gloves and shoe covers, they drilled the door lock and were apparently in and out in 5 mins……….so, my concern is this, we keep our car electronic key in one of those key faraday pouches, in a cupboard. If we were unlucky to be targeted I would rather the key be located quickly and the car taken, than be accosted for its whereabouts. I would rather find out next morning what had happened than the alternative! (Btw, my hubby says no-one would be after our car), but I am just pondering the issue and would be grateful for your input. Thank you.

mae13 Tue 06-Feb-24 11:28:58

Gosh! They must have been very expensive cars for thieves to go to all that trouble. It sounds as if they were stolen to order - on some kind of Swag Shopping List. Take care.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Feb-24 11:32:42

Motion sensitive outdoor lights and a German shepherd are what you need.

Kateykrunch Tue 06-Feb-24 11:43:12

Germanshepherdsmum

Of course lol. We do have the outside lights and would love a Doggy again, its just that handbag you have to carry that puts me off….(poo bag, yuk).

Witzend Tue 06-Feb-24 11:50:57

We live in an area that experiences a lot of thefts of expensive cars. Just one reason dh and I have pretty boring ones that no self respecting car thief would bother with.

Perhaps even more worrying is the theft of catalytic converters - a neighbour had hers nicked one night, from a not very special or expensive car. Very expensive to replace.

rosie1959 Tue 06-Feb-24 12:02:23

Suppose it depends on your car to be targeted to that extent nice new Range Rovers seem to go missing.
Don't think they would bother that much with ours although my husbands Jag looks nice to the eye it's private plate hides it's actual age lol.
My husbands keys are chucked on the top of a cupboard and mine in a glass bowl to me no point in hiding them away.
We used a have a big dog much more of a deterrent.

Grammaretto Tue 06-Feb-24 12:13:36

Geese are even better lookouts than dogs. Our lab would have loved being stroked but when we had a pair of geese, they would alert you to the slightest sound - and they grazed the lawn.
Sorry about the car burglaries. That must be a worry.
Like you, I would leave the keys in an obvious place and hope to sleep through a break in.

foxie48 Tue 06-Feb-24 12:52:49

Land rovers get stolen around here. Friend has one of the last of the originals to be made and her home has been targeted on two occasions but they failed to get the keys.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Feb-24 13:03:24

DD2’s Motability Polo was stolen - they unhooked the back door key with garden canes through the cat flap!
Half a dozen spaniels never made a sound.
Car recovered 48 hours later, minus the fancy wheels.
I can now get my small car into the garage, so it’s put away every night - anyway, no-one would want it, considering what the neighbours drive.

M0nica Tue 06-Feb-24 13:52:32

The age of cars we own, there is no incentive at all to steal them, the thief's existing car is probably younger and smarter.

Our keps live in a small dish on a radiator shelfin the hall, a good 10 ft from the door. The tray shares the shelf with a number of other metal ornaments, some of which would inevitably get knocked onto the hard floor and make quite a noisy.

One can never say never, but the chances anyone would drill our door to get to our car keys, is very,very low.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Feb-24 14:29:42

A lot of ordinary looking cars, which won’t turn heads, are stolen with the intention of being used for a burglary and then dumped, maybe set on fire.

Iam64 Tue 06-Feb-24 14:36:57

One morning, My daughter left her cottage with a babe in arms and a 3 year old and couldn’t find her car. She lived in a tiny hamlet of stone cottages and cobbled streets . She was just returning to work after mat leave and assumed she’d parked on the back street rather than outside her cottage and simply forgotten. They wandered up and down before it dawned on her the car had been stolen. It was a 5 year old Range Rover, the police said stolen to order, it was never recovered.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Feb-24 14:42:24

They are often stripped right down to their component parts very quickly and taken overseas Iam, however that might be more difficult after Brexit,

1summer Tue 06-Feb-24 14:55:03

My daughters colleague had a new Range Rover stolen from her drive, she had I think it was called GAP insurance so was able to replace it with another new car. She had that one stolen 3 days after she got it. The police told her to get a Krook Lock!
The terrible thing was her insurance went up to £7000.
Since then all my family have Krook locks and faraday pouches, hopefully the krook lock deters them from breaking in for the keys but it seems ridiculous that a car costs £000s and you have to pay £40 to protect it.
Apparently the most stolen car in the UK is a Ford Fiesta,

25Avalon Tue 06-Feb-24 15:09:30

It can be done by cloning the key signal on more expensive models. You don’t need to drill out the car lock then. I know somebody who had their car stolen from outside their house. The contents were dumped in a lonely lane and the car was full of break in equipment when the police picked it up and the drivers ran off.

Spinnaker Tue 06-Feb-24 16:00:24

Germanshepherdsmum

This brought a smile GSM. We've always had German Shepherds (although not at the moment) and DH (ex law) always said that all you need is a 90 pound plus GSD barrelling towards you to make you think twice about breaking in.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Feb-24 16:06:34

Spot on. And they can run like Usain Bolt too!

AGAA4 Tue 06-Feb-24 16:17:23

Just an aside about German shepherds. In my old neighbourhood a young woman was attacked in her own house.
The attacker was very surprised and very sorry when her German shepherd, snoozing in another room, heard her scream and ran to her rescue.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Feb-24 16:19:03

They are wonderfully loyal. He got more than he bargained for then!

AGAA4 Tue 06-Feb-24 16:24:50

He certainly did. I doubt he would try that again.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 06-Feb-24 18:03:19

If someone stole our car it would solve the problem of whether to become carless or not. However anyone who did that would have to be very thick as it is not new and not in great shape. grin

M0nica Tue 06-Feb-24 18:35:59

We don't even own a Ford Fiesta and the demand for parts of cars that are all at least 10 years old is limited.

TurtleDove Tue 06-Feb-24 18:45:10

A lot of the problems are that people no longer can be bothered to put their cars in the garage like we did in the old days. A burglar would rather take cars that are on the drive or parked on the road than go to the trouble of breaking into garages. My garage is fitted with an alarm as well as the house so they would be in for a shock. Also, when the garage door is opened there is a security camera facing the person that opens the door so their faces would be on record.

Jaxjacky Tue 06-Feb-24 19:22:15

We’ve not got a garage TurtleDove so a bit stuffed there. Our keys go up to bed with us, mine in my bag, MrJs from his pocket to a shelf.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Feb-24 19:29:29

Gernanshepherdsmum until it was found that my illness was due to dog allergies, we had to GSDs, the male dog was a cowardly cat known for hiding under the bed at any odd noise, the bitch, well an intruder would not grave escaped lightly.