Gransnet forums

House and home

DD has bought a “dooer upper “. - what projects to do first?

(49 Posts)
CoolCoco Tue 06-Feb-24 07:24:30

Dd and partner are imminently about to complete on a house purchase. The house is in a great location , but needs almost everything doing to it - think manky carpets, discoloured wood chip wallpaper, one dated bathroom unusable due to leaks , the other is useable but also dated, kitchen 1970s but not in a good way, boiler working but old and in the wrong place, radiators old and need replacing, garden overgrown with broken decking. They could only afford a dooer upper, certainly one this size in this location - similar houses in this area are 100k + more. After the purchase they will have about 20k left to spend immediately, the rest will be have to be done bit by bit, plus they’ll need furniture to fill it up! What would you get done first?

karmalady Tue 06-Feb-24 07:38:32

get it checked for damp first and get the roof checked for water tightness. Include the floors, especially under carpets

SusieK Tue 06-Feb-24 07:41:23

Don’t forget it’s their project!

Sago Tue 06-Feb-24 07:42:30

Roof, damp, electrics, boiler, windows.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Feb-24 07:54:14

All four of our homes including our current house over our 55 years together were exactly like that. We could never afford anything else.
Congratulations to them for having the foresight to see they can make this tired house into a lovely home.
Suggest they do as much as they can themselves after the jobs already mentioned have been done .

silverlining48 Tue 06-Feb-24 07:59:43

It can’t be done all at once It will take time, took us 3 years for this house was we both worked so most weekends found us doing as much as we could ourselves.

Auntieflo Tue 06-Feb-24 08:07:21

Well done to them both for getting on the property ladder.
While completing all the suggestions above, they could look in places like BHF and charities for furniture. Some lovely stuff around.
We remember my parents saying, " you can always sit on orange boxes at first".

petra Tue 06-Feb-24 08:24:12

I’ve lots and lots of experience with dooer uppers.
My advice is, don’t rush. Live in that house and really look round and decide what you want because sometimes you change your mind.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Feb-24 08:32:42

A pot of paint will turn old brown furniture into something really stylish .

Visgir1 Tue 06-Feb-24 09:07:27

My DD and her then Boyfriend (now husband) 10 years ago only aged 21 scraped together enough money to buy a "doer upper" house 3 bed, 1960"s good size garden corner house with a garage, it was previously an older persons house, in the south of England Hampshire.
With no money to spare, but had both sets of parents support. They had to live at their parents homes as all spare money was to tackled the house, they didn't go on holiday or out too ofter as they knew this was an amazing opportunity, and they had time.
They completely emptied it, stripped it back to almost nothing, pulled out the kitchen, but left the bathroom to last.
The survey was good so no major issues so just cosmetic.
Took about 10 months to make it habitable.
Everyone helped painting, stripping walls, with the help of youthful energy and YouTube instruction built the kitchen from cheaper flat packs.
Even bought a dismantled small conservatory to add to the back, as the sliding French windows had seen better days, significantly much cheaper to add that then replace the window (eBay).
Bought things bit by bit.. Biggest investment they changed the heating system, lost the large immersion heater put into the garage a combi system. Last job replaced bathroom again sourced carefully. It was amazing they did so well. They think they only spent around £25 k. With the help of family and friends.
Within 2 years they married, then 2 years later .. They then sold it for nearly £100k profit.
Now aged 32 they live in a large 4 bedded house (was 3 when they moved in) changed that one too.
It's so possible to get this very right I wish your DD the best it will happen don't rush.

M0nica Tue 06-Feb-24 09:14:25

We are serial doer-uppers and about to take on another (we hope).

There isn't a clear order for doing up. If you have the money start with the things that make all the mess, rewiring, installing central heating, if needed, anything structural. On the other hand roof insulation is a cheap thing to do, if needed, and will immeidately start saving you money,draft proofing windows, if not double glazed, and doors,

When we had children in the house, the first thing we did was decorate and sort their bedrooms. It reconciled them to the move and gave them somewhere to retreat to when other works took place.

As for furnishing, all of ours, bar the sofa, are secondhand. Do not forget your local auction rooms. I do not know why more people do not buy at auction. We recently paid £20 for a book case we would have paid over £200 for, if we had gone down the road to a good quality pine shop and bought it there.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Feb-24 09:17:02

Sounds a long job! We never had the confidence or expertise to buy a do-er up-er.
The budget doesn’t sound enough to do it all, but I’d say the services first - wiring, plumbing and heating - which would need professionals.
I think they should do a lot of research before picking bathroom and kitchen fittings and decor/furnishings last.
I suspect there’ll be some good advice coming on this thread.

Grandmabatty Tue 06-Feb-24 09:23:32

Replace the boiler and radiators first, would be my advice. Then tackle a room at a time and as they have the money to do it. Kitchen cupboards can have doors replaced relatively cheaply. Definitely check electric and roof first

Casdon Tue 06-Feb-24 09:45:19

I’d check the surveys first to see if there are any maintenance issues on the structure, drainage, roof, gutters etc., they can be expensive to rectify later if left and are more important than making cosmetic changes. Next I’d concentrate on heating and electricity, and any internal plumbing that they may need to change. All these things are really boring, and it’s so easy to get carried away when you’re excited about your new house and start on the cosmetic things, but they really can wait. If they can get just one room done to a state that they can escape and relax at the end of the day, that’s really important, living in chaos is hard work.

Dee1012 Tue 06-Feb-24 09:46:10

Sago

Roof, damp, electrics, boiler, windows.

100% this....there's no point worrying about anything else until those things are fixed / brought up to standard.

Purplepixie Tue 06-Feb-24 09:51:34

I thought it was there project so why are you asking us?

dogsmother Tue 06-Feb-24 09:51:37

Oh my second ds and partner just about through this ( now on garden and patio area)
Support from both sets of parents and amazing amount of hands on from both of them. Also from friends who they will be indebted too for coming projects they may take on.
They have turned around a very ‘60s bungalow into fabulous up to date complete with mezzanine home.
Good luck

Skydancer Tue 06-Feb-24 10:01:55

We have done this 3 times. My advice would be not to live in it while it's being done but I guess that it not possible.
Firstly has it got artex ceilings? If so these need to be checked for asbestos. That is vitally important.
Everything costs more than you think - tradesmen now charge the earth. In our area it can be up to £350 per day!
If windows need replacing do that first then the house is watertight.
I totally agree with the other posters about buying 2nd-hand as there are bargains to be had. Facebook Marketplace is good. Also do ask for things on Freecycle - some people are very generous. We were given dining chairs free.
Good luck to them and tell them not to despair halfway through as it can be depressing living in a dump. But it can be worth it in the end. We ended up with fabulous homes and made a good amount of money.
Please do come back and let us know how they get on.

luluaugust Tue 06-Feb-24 10:04:58

Sago spot on. I wish them well Doer Uppers can be very expensive.

pascal30 Tue 06-Feb-24 10:08:06

I've renovated 7 houses and managed to clear my mortgage by age 38.. I was a widowed single parent and we needed to live in the houses. It was really important to make 2 bedrooms clean and workable as a starting point as it's incredible how much dust is generated. Also important for me was having a bath and minimal cooking facilities.. Then get trades in to check out the electrics, damp and roof and windows. With only £20.000 these are absolute priorities.. I would spend a bit of time living in the property to decide which walls might need to come down or where kitchen and bathrooms are best located as that would affect where plumbing and electrics need to be.. The bare bones are really important before thinking about the fun part of decorating, furniture,floor coverings etc

Bella23 Tue 06-Feb-24 10:38:37

Sorry can give no advice we have always bought houses we could live in and gradually do the kitchen and bathrooms when we could afford to.
We did furnished the first totally with donated curtains, furniture and carpets. All the China and cutlery were bought for wedding presents even the vac.
DH had been a student and my MIL kindly said I could have all his bedding and towels. What a joke he smoked at the time the bedding was brushed nylon and had so many holes it looked like artex, he had smoked in bed and dropped his cigarette as he accidentally nodded off reading textbooks. His towels were 5 years old!! They made good floor cloths and dusters.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Feb-24 10:51:06

Brentford nylons Bella?
The factory was somewhere Gateshead way and they had a factory shop.

Bella23 Tue 06-Feb-24 11:18:25

You've put your finger right on it they had a shop in Carlisle as well. They were single she didn't like the idea of us sharing a bed, or getting married.
When I read these posts and see how people are helped by their parents I am reminded again how one-sided our help was.
We did sit on deckchairs a friend donated and the TV was rented.
I hope we have and still do give help when it is needed to our DD's and husbands.

Theexwife Tue 06-Feb-24 11:19:21

I doubt they would want advice from a grandparents forum, there are many sites covering this subject.

Casdon Tue 06-Feb-24 12:14:02

Theexwife

I doubt they would want advice from a grandparents forum, there are many sites covering this subject.

They may well seek advice from their own parents though, that’s the norm. I don’t see why it’s a problem for OP to ask for the collective wisdom of Gransnetters, lots of us have been through the same scenario (and asked our parents for advice).