Gransnet forums

House and home

Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink

(39 Posts)
Welshy Fri 02-Feb-24 19:32:52

What brand do you have and is it badly scratched?

I had a Franke with a textured draining board in my last house, which I loved but it has been discontinued.

Looking for a single bowl and drainer.

jeanie99 Fri 02-Feb-24 23:52:22

I do hate stainless steel sinks, years ago I used to have them because there wasn't much choice and they were not expensive. All the scratches from day one of installing I couldn't stand. I've had pot, enamel both chip if you drop anything on them.
I now have a Blanco double bowl, bought it 8 years ago and it hasn't a scratch on it, for me the perfect sink. You can wash and drain pots without them falling around and it's so easy to clean.
Good look with finding your perfect sink but you'll always have to put up with the scratches.

karmalady Sat 03-Feb-24 07:21:53

single bowl and drainer here, I replaced my cheap sink in my new build. I bought a franke, one which overlaps the worktop edges slightly. Had to measure carefully, the plumber does not provide these top quality sinks. It was expensive and took weeks to arrive.

When it arrived the corner was bent but using cloths and a rubber mallet, I beat it back into good-enough shape. The plumber used a very good fixative and the untit is solidly down on my worktop. He ground the worktop edges down to fit the unit.

It is a lovely unit, yes stainless steel can scratch but barkeepers friend keeps it pristine. I have used it for eight months and am not that careful with it, would definitely would buy a franke again. The first sink was a thin stainless steel

You can also buy a special stainless steel cleaner/reviver, I used that once and would use it again if selling my house but in the interim bar keepers friend does a lovely job but daily I use the orange method spray

karmalady Sat 03-Feb-24 07:25:33

I bought my sink here, measure carefully using a steel tape, better slightly oversized than undersized from edge to edge

www.appliancecity.co.uk/sinks-taps/sinks/franke/

karmalady Sat 03-Feb-24 07:31:54

oops I had 1 and a half bowl. There are filters on the left of that site that would help you find a sink. My sink is a neptune which is also in a 1 bowl and drainer format. Don`t be shocked at the price, steel costs have soared

Would I buy it again? most definitely yes

Joseann Sat 03-Feb-24 07:56:03

Another vote for Franke here. Stainless Steel sinks are the ones chosen by professional chefs because they harbour less bacteria. That's more important to me than the odd scratch which can be rubbed out pretty well.
Alternatively, look on John Lewis for ideas.

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Feb-24 07:59:32

Franke still make stainless steel sinks:

www.franke.com/gb/en/home-solutions/products/kitchen-sinks.html?page=1&activeFilters=SCC_Z_CROSSCATEGORY_SCC_Z_PRODUCT_LINES%3AMaris%2CMythos%2CSmart%3BSCC_SINKS_SCC_MATERIAL%3AStainless+steel

Aldom Sat 03-Feb-24 08:10:16

My stainless steel sink is in its thirteenth year. It is the sink installed when the house was built, so no makers name. However, it is not scratched and is easily cleaned using Method spray, then dried. Occasionally I spray with Stainless Steel Reviver. My daughter has recently purchased a very practical, stainless steel washing up bowl for her sink.

FlexibleFriend Sat 03-Feb-24 11:51:17

I have a large single bowl s/s sink with drainer made by Rangemaster it's now about 8 years old and hasn't scratched. It certainly wasn't cheap and arrived with the wrong fixings but once I'd convinced them to send me the right fixings all has been well. I certainly have no plans to change it.

nanna8 Sat 03-Feb-24 11:58:15

When we got our kitchen renovated I wanted to keep my stainless steel sink because it is deep and has 2 bowls and I couldn’t find another like it. They removed it and had it polished- good as new. You can get stainless steel cleaners but I just rinse it out after every use .

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:21:28

jeanie99

I do hate stainless steel sinks, years ago I used to have them because there wasn't much choice and they were not expensive. All the scratches from day one of installing I couldn't stand. I've had pot, enamel both chip if you drop anything on them.
I now have a Blanco double bowl, bought it 8 years ago and it hasn't a scratch on it, for me the perfect sink. You can wash and drain pots without them falling around and it's so easy to clean.
Good look with finding your perfect sink but you'll always have to put up with the scratches.

What model do you have jeanie99 please and colour?

My daughter has a Blanco but stinless steel. Which is another make I've been looking at.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:26:52

karmalady

I bought my sink here, measure carefully using a steel tape, better slightly oversized than undersized from edge to edge

www.appliancecity.co.uk/sinks-taps/sinks/franke/

Karmalady ... That is one of the Franke models I've been looking at.

I did have to look up Barkeepers Friend though as I have never heard of it.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:29:46

NotSpaghetti

Franke still make stainless steel sinks:

www.franke.com/gb/en/home-solutions/products/kitchen-sinks.html?page=1&activeFilters=SCC_Z_CROSSCATEGORY_SCC_Z_PRODUCT_LINES%3AMaris%2CMythos%2CSmart%3BSCC_SINKS_SCC_MATERIAL%3AStainless+steel

NotSpaghetti ..... Yes I know. The Franke that I had that is discontinued had a textured drainer.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:32:32

Joseann ..... What model do you have please?

Gwyllt Sat 03-Feb-24 14:33:58

I think you can be too fussy about scratches on a stainless sink
After the first few you don’t notice them
I inherited a stainless sink with the house
Unknown make but think good quality cos it seems solid and doesn’t bend
It’s been used and abused. Builders sandy buckets, plaster and goodness knows what else. Was not on my immediate to do list
Must be about eighteen years old and full of tiny scratches if you look hard enough but polishes up beautifully with Bar keepers friend.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:34:41

Aldom .... That's good to hear, shame you don't know the make and model.

I have never heard of a stainless steel washing up bowl.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:37:26

FlexibleFriend ... do you know what model yours is please?

I see a lot of Rangemaster on Victorian Plumbing.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:39:00

nanna8 I didn't know you could have them polished like that.

Welshy Sat 03-Feb-24 14:41:10

Gwyllt ..... I think I need to get some of this Bar Keepers Friend

Aldom Sat 03-Feb-24 14:46:13

Welshy stainless steel washing up bowls can be found on Amazon. smile

Moonwatcher1904 Sat 03-Feb-24 14:56:57

I had a white sink when I first moved in but I never liked it and it never looked clean even if I scrubbed it. I had a new kitchen installed and had a stainless steel sink. I've never regretted it and use a sink mat to protect it. There are many different sorts on the market.

Gwyllt Sat 03-Feb-24 17:32:46

Welshy
You should it’s fantastic and the added bonus is it’s cheap
Gets rust of old tile flooring too

Pammie1 Sat 03-Feb-24 17:43:50

I have a stainless steel sink by Abode, but it’s set into granite worktops so the draining board is also granite with carved drainage channels. The sink itself comes up lovely when cleaned and as long as I’m careful with pots and pans, the draining board still looks good. Just a note for anyone considering granite worktops. I love mine, but you have to be really careful about how you put down delicate crockery and glasses. I’ve broken quite a few long stemmed glasses and small china pieces because the granite is very unforgiving if you’re heavy handed !!

J52 Sat 03-Feb-24 17:48:39

FlexibleFriend

I have a large single bowl s/s sink with drainer made by Rangemaster it's now about 8 years old and hasn't scratched. It certainly wasn't cheap and arrived with the wrong fixings but once I'd convinced them to send me the right fixings all has been well. I certainly have no plans to change it.

We had the Rangemaster two full bowl version in our last house. I loved it, as the second bowl acted as a drainer, thus hiding items draining.
I agree excellent quality. Our new house has a Franke 1 1/2 bowl sink. The kitchen is quite new so I can’t justify replacing it.

FlexibleFriend Sun 04-Feb-24 16:12:52

Welshy

This is the closest I could see to mine on their website
www.rangemaster.co.uk/products/rangemaster-stainless-sinks/cosmo/4251 its definitely the same shape etc mine just has a square plug rather than the round.