Gransnet forums

House and home

Glass balconies

(35 Posts)
tanith Fri 11-Nov-22 20:51:20

Does anyone have one? How safe are they? My son is soon moving into an new apartment with his family and he just sent me a video of the children walking out onto the very high balcony and honestly I was horrified it’s so high and glass everywhere I could feel my hands tingling at the height and couldn’t watch.
Can anyone put my mind at rest? please…

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 23:08:11

It's got to be safe because of Building Regulations. They HAVE to stick to the rules. Buildings have to be built to certain standards. It's the rules!

I can understand you not liking the look of it. I have vertigo and a fear of heights so would hate it.

MerylStreep Fri 11-Nov-22 23:16:16

its got to be safe because of building regulations
Grenfell Tower ?

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 23:54:12

I dislike heights and couldn't go near a glass balcony. I have seen some glass walkways and no way would I walk one. I suppose we think of glass as being a breakable substance, whereas a younger person might not do that.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 23:59:39

What about these pools? Anyone fancy a swim?

OnwardandUpward Sat 12-Nov-22 00:00:54

MerylStreep

^its got to be safe because of building regulations^
Grenfell Tower ?

OP asked for REASSURANCE.

biglouis Sat 12-Nov-22 00:01:52

I lived on the top floor of a tower block for a number of years. The balcony had a metal framework with glass panels. I am sure it was structurally sound but hated it and it made me feel very insecure. I stuck sticky backed plastic onto the panels so they were no longer transparent.

OnwardandUpward Sat 12-Nov-22 00:04:36

Chestnut

What about these pools? Anyone fancy a swim?

Yes, exactly. There is a lot of physics involved when a building is designed, lots of equations and lots of rules at the design stage. Then at each stage the Building inspector has to make sure it's safe before the next level can be worked on.

I do not like heights but a building cannot be sold without safety checks. No idea about how Grenfel was so bad but many council blocks are not adequately maintained- and also with Grenfell the problem was the flammable but probably cosmetic coating that the council had added, rather than the structure of the building.

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 00:17:52

Agreed, the tall tower blocks all had a cosmetic makeover because they were rather ugly, only problem was they used flammable panels to cover these buildings. Utterly stupid and unnecessary.

Bigred18 Sat 12-Nov-22 07:12:03

I have a glass balcony, its great. Only problem is how dirty it gets.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Nov-22 07:36:57

I m afraid it would suit me at all I nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to walk on glass at Aucklands sky tower
As others have said it will be safety checked but I m with you and my heart would be firmly in my mouth every time I thought of little kids on one
I don’t actually like kids on high balconies at all glass or not We were 8th floor when my eldest was a baby and it was horrible

MerylStreep Sat 12-Nov-22 07:52:03

Chestnut
Kensington & Chelsea council stated in the enquiry that the cladding of Grenfell was part of the plan to cut Carbon Emissions.

tanith Sat 12-Nov-22 07:52:47

Just reading these posts has made me anxious again, I’m just going to have to not think about it or I’ll be in a permanent state of anxiety. I know it’s been properly safety checked as they’ve waited months for this to be completed but that’s not helped my fear. Thanks for trying everyone.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Nov-22 07:55:42

They're a pain to keep clean - and you feel very exposed - so my friend has Ikea canvas 'shades' on hers. Building regulations? Do check the windows - please. My granddaughter (just four at the time) was found leaning, dangerouslly, out of a fifth floor window - having undone the 'safety catch' in less than a minute - while viewing a brand new flat. It all complied with 'regs' but they added robust stays before moving in. There was no furniture on the balcony either, as kids will climb up!

BlueBalou Sat 12-Nov-22 07:57:29

Tanith I am completely with you. I am terrified of heights and would have exactly the same worries despite logic telling me otherwise 🤗
I can’t go out onto balconies of any type! As for the swimming pool ones ……😱😱

vegansrock Sat 12-Nov-22 08:25:59

We have a balcony which leads down to our garden - it’s more of a deck as it’s just over 1m off the ground but building regs are that it has to have railings of some kind. We had glass panels put in so we maintain a view of the garden, they are extra toughened glass like car windscreens so they would not shatter but just craze over if something hit them. They look great and our lovely window cleaner gives them a wipe over every time he comes so no extra cleaning.

M0nica Sat 12-Nov-22 08:46:45

The OP is not clear. Is she talking about balconies with glass panels at the sides or balconies where the floor is glass as well.

If the floor is concrete/wood, whatever with glass sides, I would be quite happy with that. It wouldn't bother me at all. I wouldn't want a balcony with a glass floor because the people in the flats below and above you would be able to watch you, from a very odd angle when you were using the balcony, so you would have no privacy.

tanith Sat 12-Nov-22 10:08:08

No Monica the floor isn’t glass, I’ve only ever seen that used as a tourist attraction. It’s all the panels around the balcony that are glass.

tanith Sat 12-Nov-22 10:13:41

It looks like this but without the step bit at the bottom and is way up high.

stella1949 Sat 12-Nov-22 10:26:36

My previous home had them - we were 5 stories up. Never bothered me . The glass is strong and doesn't shatter if you bang up against it. Very safe.

tanith Sat 12-Nov-22 10:28:57

Thankyou Stella

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 10:41:00

Tanith I think your concern is the see-through element of it being glass. But if the glass is high enough then that is actually much safer than a wall or railings which may be shorter.

Think about it, children can climb on a wall or railings and there have been rare cases of children falling from balconies. But there is no way they can climb up a sheet of glass, so if the glass is higher than the child then that is very safe.

What is freaking you out is seeing a child apparently standing next to a sheer drop with nothing solid between them and the drop. But there is actually very strong glass there. It is an optical illusion in our brains that sees danger, because we are not used to seeing that. Maybe some people's brains register this more than others, which could explain why some people don't mind glass balconies.

I'm with you on seeing the perceived danger, but I think you'll get used to it. Go there and touch the glass, feel how strong it is and teach your brain to accept it!

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Nov-22 10:46:06

We have one at home on our roof terrace. It sits on quite a high wall and I wanted one because I was worried about my cat jumping on to the wall and going over.

The glass panels are very thick and heavy so there's no need to worry tanith.

tanith Sat 12-Nov-22 11:19:47

Chestnut and Smileless thank you you are spot on it’s exactly that, seeing my lovely GC on the edge of a very long drop. I hope to visit in the New Year as they live abroad and as you suggest I will gradually try and teach my brain it’s not that scary. My son assures me the children won’t be out there without an adult for a long while. I need desensitising I guess.

M0nica Sat 12-Nov-22 15:14:49

Tanith how many news stories have you read about these glass walls shattering and people being catpaulted out? I do not think I have ever heard of even one a case these barriers shattering and anyone of any age being injured or killed.

Then think about children drownng in garden ponds. There are several cases every year, but conidering the number of garden ponds and parents and grand parents with garden ponds, the number of deaths is infinitismal. The accident you fear is even less frequent.

Personally, these balconies cause me no concern at all.